+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Is it right to sit a rookie RB because he fumbled?

My friend was giving me updates on the game because I was at work. He texted me saying Wilson had fumbled. And I texted back, "now watch TC bench him for the rest of the game." And I was right.

Rookies will be rookies, and mistakes will happen. But imo, benching a rookie RB because he fumbled does more harm than good. We're never going to develop our running backs if they are on the bench. TC did the same thing to Scott last year.

I understand we have to win games, and fumbling the ball doesn't help at all. But how else will he learn? If Bradshaw fumbles he isn't benched right? Then why does he do it to rookies?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTruck View Post
    My friend was giving me updates on the game because I was at work. He texted me saying Wilson had fumbled. And I texted back, "now watch TC bench him for the rest of the game." And I was right.

Rookies will be rookies, and mistakes will happen. But imo, benching a rookie RB because he fumbled does more harm than good. We're never going to develop our running backs if they are on the bench. TC did the same thing to Scott last year.

I understand we have to win games, and fumbling the ball doesn't help at all. But how else will he learn? If Bradshaw fumbles he isn't benched right? Then why does he do it to rookies?
    this isn't a classroom. It isn't about teaching at that point, its about doing whats best for the team. Wilson was crying for christ sakes (i like the passion) but still, you don't throw that guy back in the game. hes not mentally ready

I think you should let him calm down and get his head back into the game. Cowboys were flying all over the field in the second half so no time to deal with rookies would be my guess.

No, it's not right, nor is a fair punishment or goodway to learn. dYou have to "play to win", not "not to lose". Wilson is too big a potential weapon. He will not learn standing on the sidelines, nor will his confidence be restored. Play the rook and let him grow. Our offense needs his speed and dynamics!

Because when rookies make a mistake, they'll try to do too much and make even more mistakes, something to the effect of Kyle Williams.

The game also dictated the benching of Wilson as Giants were playing catch up and running game was pretty much out the window.

Expect Wilson to get a heavy dose in the next game. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
    this isn't a classroom. It isn't about teaching at that point, its about doing whats best for the team. Wilson was crying for christ sakes (i like the passion) but still, you don't throw that guy back in the game. hes not mentally ready
    This isn't a classrom. It isn't about teaching at that point.....you gotta put him in the game instead of teaching him a lesson, because we need to have our best players on the field. Wilson is a big part of the offense and we needed him out there.
    Get well soon 80.

IF the kid cried, so what, I think it's a great thing....it shows emotion. Coughlin will bottle that kids emotion and show him how to empty it on the field. That kid will be a star for us. You watch....Bradshaw and Wilson will be national names before our bye week.
    I miss Red Hook

The outcome of the game is more imporant than hurting a players feelings. He is a big boy now, hold on to the god damn ball. He wasn't even hit hard, he was holding the ball way too loose. Maybe next time he will think twice and really hold the ball tight.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn1028 View Post
    IF the kid cried, so what, I think it's a great thing....it shows emotion. Coughlin will bottle that kids emotion and show him how to empty it on the field. That kid will be a star for us. You watch....Bradshaw and Wilson will be national names before our bye week.
    i said i like the passion, but if u think ti shows he was mentally strong or ready i would say it showed the complete opposite.

i don't agree with benching a player for fumbling, any player any team,

Stubbornness from any Coach is a pathway to defeat