+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Our playoff problem

Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts:

It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs.

Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can!

What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.

Re: Our playoff problem

JPP. Tuck and Osi returning to 2010 form. Having a kick *** defensive line would hide alot of the problems with the LB's and secondary.

The only shot is for Osi & Tuck to get healthy and play like there old selves. Even then with this group of LB's and D-backs it would be next to impossible.

[quote user="jhamburg"]Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.[/quote]A defensive coordinator with great teaching skills, stronggame plans along with midgame adjustments would help an awful lot.
    No one remembers who came in second.

If we make it that far, even JPP won't be able to compensate for all the holes in this D.
    BUT... maybe he can inspire the rest of the guys.

Veteran

[quote user="G4L"]JPP.* Tuck and Osi returning to 2010 form.* Having a kick *** defensive line would hide alot of the problems with the LB's and secondary.[/quote]

Agreed. Who knows maybe seeing the young kid light up the Cowboys will inspire the old vets to keep up.

[quote user="jhamburg"]Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts:

It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs.

Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can!

What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.[/quote]Maybe the blocked fg sunday night sent will light the fire.

[quote user="horn27"][quote user="jhamburg"]Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.[/quote]Maybe the blocked fg sunday night sent will light the fire.[/quote]^THIS! If that doesnt do it and really get in this D's head that you have to go the extra mile to win championships and not just collect a paycheck for the season then nothing will, Hell put me out there and i will give 2000% every play even if it kills me and you dont even have to pay me, would do it for the love of the game and to actually play in just one game, that is what champions are made of ! Not the "look at me" deal
    "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="jhamburg"]Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.[/quote]A defensive coordinator with great teaching skills, stronggame plans along with midgame adjustments would help an awful lot.[/quote]So would players playingat 100% and executing what they have been taught.

Bench Player

Look, We have proven time and time again we Can beat anyone!!!!!
    Right now Eli is the best he can be with what he has. I don't mean it to sound like the team is garbage.
    (ITS NOT) Look at what we have gone through all year long defense ouch!!! Injury after injury. We can't stay healthy enough to get a good game plan together, JPP is the man. for now.
    lets say we lost him this week then what? Were back to playing people that have played injured or haven't had enough reps with the first team defense to know the plan. Hence break down in coverage last week.
    Run game: What run game! Jacobs needs to be the starter and stay the starter. Bradshaw is good ,Ware is better, Jacobs has the winning way
    2007 Superbowl Jacobs up the gut (pound that rock) Win the game by wearing the defense out, have we lost the winning way?
    Last little tid bit. What the hell is it with teams and onside kicks and fake punts against us?
    I'm tired of seeing it
    Thanks for letting me get this out here
    Andolay