+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tom Coughlin explains his decision to bench David Wilson

TOM COUGHLIN EXPLAINS HIS DECISION TO BENCH DAVID WILSON

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin rattled the statistic off with conviction. The Giants are 46-9, good for an .840 winning percentage, during his tenure when they win the turnover battle, Coughlin highlighted. So when rookie running back David Wilson lost a fumble on his second career carry to terminate a promising drive in Cowboys' territory last night, Coughlin made a resolute decision: he kept his backup running back off the field.

"It's more, 'Let the veteran play and let's hope we don't have another occasion to shoot ourselves in the foot,'" Coughlin said today to reporters, a day after his Giants' tied the Cowboys in the turnover tally but lost 24-17." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

It's simple.

The game was close and he didn't want to lose another vital posession.

I wish he had put him back out there as well but I understood the decision completely.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

You, HakeemCruz are a total tool..

Lets face it wilson was literally in tears. He is no good to anyone unless he has a level head. Untill he got less emotional he could not be out there.

Understood the situation. The offensive-line sucks no matter what anyway. I am actually surprised that Bradshaw got those yards.

In a game like that, you expect Wilson to get benched immediately for that.

I fail to see the logic in this; it was the first game of the season, and the team wasn't losing at the time. My school of thought is that you chew his butt, then get him back out there and give him the ball again right away. Now the kid's going to be so worried about fumbling he won't run hard for a long time. I just don't think benching him accomplishes anything. If you start benching people for making mistakes, there's not going to be anyone left on the field. Kind of hard to justify benching a running back for a fumble but not benching WR for drops, or running the wrong route, or CB for blowing coverage. The last thing this team needs right now is a tentative running back running behind this line.

I still disagree with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    I fail to see the logic in this; it was the first game of the season, and the team wasn't losing at the time. My school of thought is that you chew his butt, then get him back out there and give him the ball again right away. Now the kid's going to be so worried about fumbling he won't run hard for a long time. I just don't think benching him accomplishes anything. If you start benching people for making mistakes, there's not going to be anyone left on the field. Kind of hard to justify benching a running back for a fumble but not benching WR for drops, or running the wrong route, or CB for blowing coverage. The last thing this team needs right now is a tentative running back running behind this line.
    Agree with this 100%. He didn't get a chance at redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by appodictic View Post
    Lets face it wilson was literally in tears. He is no good to anyone unless he has a level head. Untill he got less emotional he could not be out there.
    This is exactly what happened on the sidelines during the game coverage, while Coughlin was scolding him and other players were trying to console him. +1 No NFL coach is going to send an emotional train wreck back onto the field. The first round pick needs to toughen up.

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedYouth85 View Post
    You, HakeemCruz are a total tool..
    He's gone now...