+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If the OL and DB do not improve, expect a poor season from our Giants

I do not buy in to the "its just one game" and the "3 of our super bowl wins came on the heels of a 0-1 start" crap. I love my team, I will root for them even when the clock hits 0:00 and the stadium has cleared out.

However, no amount of belief will improve a players ability. When you stink, you stink. Thinking and wishing and hoping wont change that.

Going into the season many fans (as well as I) believed that OL was the number 1 concern here. I shouldn't have to wait until week 10 to say our OL stinks, because it does. Bradshaw, a Number 1 on many teams IMO, is running for his life the moment he gets the ball. Same goes for Eli. You cant expect to win when your QB is getting molested every other play. David Deihls days as a starter should have ended when last years season was over, but for some reason, the giants believe he can play.

After CWebb, we dont have anyone who can come in and be a capable starter. This division is filled with Number 2 WO who are actualy Number 1 talents on almost every other team. We cant expect to put a guy like Tryon on another teams number 2 (even if said player has a hammy issue).

Ogletree was burning Coe well before he left the game. Things got a lot worse though when he left. Tryon (IMO) isnt even worth a spot on the active roster on game days. So we shoudlnt expect anything out of him. The best we can hope for is Prince comes up good enough to limit the other teams number 2. A lot of people believe that due to his high draft status and what he did in college (which doesnt impress me), that he should be the man for the job. I dont see it. For a high draft pick, he lacks the footwork to play the position well (thats my opinion. Just look at the tape), he doesnt have the speed to keep up with most WR and with a lack of playing time, he hasnt had a chance to adjust to the WR in this league. They run routes in the NFL last I checked. This isnt your college nine/wheel route kid.

Unfortunately we have no other options so we need him to come up big and do so NOW. Our schedule and the level of competition this year wont allow us any time to rest.

So again, if the OL doesnt get a major upgrade (which it wont for many reasons) and the DB (after CWebb) dont improve, dont expect a good season from our Giants. Eli can only do so much. Thats my take and I will go on record and throw myself to the wolves now.

Thank you for the statement of the obvious. However, to say that we shouldn't expect them to improve unless we do something drastic now is not likely the answer. One thing I will add, I really think Rocky Bernard did a nice job in the first half but was likely whipped by the second half, the Giants need to have a better DT rotation; that will certainly help the push and free up our DE's which didn't happen in the second half!

i get what ur saying and agree wth much of it except ur analysis of prince. poor footwork?????poor speed???? uh, we must be watching diff guys. if anything, prince relies too heavily at time on his awesome closing speed and footwork. its something even JR and TC addressed after we drafted him, that he can get himself in a jam, but can bail himself out bc of quickly he closes the ground between him and the wr...i think and believe he is gonna be a quality starting corner, just me tho

Your analysis is very accurate and, yes, we could be in for a bad season.
    Yet, we were in this same position last season. I considered last year's SB win to be an incredible bonus, given the poor OL and DB's.
    Plus, no one expected Cruz to contribute like that. Everyone was wondering who would be #2 with the departure of Smith. Hixon appeared to be the best #2.
    Plus, the consensus last year was that our LB's were weak. People feel better about them this year.
    Plus, no one could have predicted Eli's excellent year. To many, that was doom, too, because of the previous year's INT's.
    The OL couldn't run block, but at least Eli held up under some vicious hits.
    Cruz blossomed.
    Our invisible LB's got a boost from Blackburn.
    Fewell finally stopped running the zones and our DB's did OK in man.
    The constant was our DL, and Eli, and the rest was held together with baling wire.
    All I'm sying is, last year's team looked as bad, or worse after 1 game.
    I hope for the best, but expect the worst from this team. We'll see if they can improve.
    So, you could be right... but, I'm still full of hope.

The giants have been trying like heck to get Diehl off the field.

But they consistently have multiple OT injuries. Beatty and Brewer are both injured right now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Eli View Post
    I do not buy in to the "its just one game" and the "3 of our super bowl wins came on the heels of a 0-1 start" crap. I love my team, I will root for them even when the clock hits 0:00 and the stadium has cleared out.

However, no amount of belief will improve a players ability. When you stink, you stink. Thinking and wishing and hoping wont change that.

Going into the season many fans (as well as I) believed that OL was the number 1 concern here. I shouldn't have to wait until week 10 to say our OL stinks, because it does. Bradshaw, a Number 1 on many teams IMO, is running for his life the moment he gets the ball. Same goes for Eli. You cant expect to win when your QB is getting molested every other play. David Deihls days as a starter should have ended when last years season was over, but for some reason, the giants believe he can play.

After CWebb, we dont have anyone who can come in and be a capable starter. This division is filled with Number 2 WO who are actualy Number 1 talents on almost every other team. We cant expect to put a guy like Tryon on another teams number 2 (even if said player has a hammy issue).

Ogletree was burning Coe well before he left the game. Things got a lot worse though when he left. Tryon (IMO) isnt even worth a spot on the active roster on game days. So we shoudlnt expect anything out of him. The best we can hope for is Prince comes up good enough to limit the other teams number 2. A lot of people believe that due to his high draft status and what he did in college (which doesnt impress me), that he should be the man for the job. I dont see it. For a high draft pick, he lacks the footwork to play the position well (thats my opinion. Just look at the tape), he doesnt have the speed to keep up with most WR and with a lack of playing time, he hasnt had a chance to adjust to the WR in this league. They run routes in the NFL last I checked. This isnt your college nine/wheel route kid.

Unfortunately we have no other options so we need him to come up big and do so NOW. Our schedule and the level of competition this year wont allow us any time to rest.

So again, if the OL doesnt get a major upgrade (which it wont for many reasons) and the DB (after CWebb) dont improve, dont expect a good season from our Giants. Eli can only do so much. Thats my take and I will go on record and throw myself to the wolves now.
    Prince doesn't have speed? He's our fastest DB besides the newcomer Hosley! By the way, as bad as our players supposedly stink we only lost by 7 points!
    Last edited by DVision; 09-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.

I didn't believe the first game crap last year either, and we were plagued with uncertainty far more then. I was proven wrong, and I don't plan on reverting back that line of thinking so early just yet.

And the Prince hate is getting ridiculous. He had a freak injury his rookie year, then got rolled on in preseason.

This "he doesnt have speed" crap is nonsense. The cowboys game last year, that long catch was not Prince's fault. Cover 3, he had to maintain outside leverage and force the receiver inside to where the FS was supposed to be. But the safety was out of position. If a corner has outside leverage he can not cover an inside breaking route. But Prince instead chased the receiver all the way down the field and caught him.

At least know some basics about secondary play before blaming someone, you may be blaming the wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

At least know some basics about secondary play before blaming someone, you may be blaming the wrong guy.
    yes...this^^^^^^^^

thank you

Price does have great footwork it is one of the things he was known for coming out of college along with his speed the only knock I could find on the guy is that sometimes he gets beat on double moves here are his pros and cons from scouting reports
    Pros

Great size for a cornerback. His 6'1 frame allows him to match up with any receiver
    Very fluid hips and good footwork which allows him to change directions very quickly
    Very aggressive in pass defense. Isn't afraid to take chances to make a play on the ball.
    Very good at recognizing route patterns that allows him to jump routes
    Great speed. Can stick with receivers and recover if beaten.
    Physical at the line of scrimmage. Makes it hard for receivers to release to their routes.
    Great character. Team Leader.
    Cons

Can get a little too high in his back pedal
    Can be too aggressive in jamming receivers which causes him to get beat on double moves.