+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Does anyone think the DB's may not be smart enough to play zone defense?

Just a thought. It sure seems like no one knows what their doing half the time.

Re: Does anyone think the DB's may not be smart enough to play zone defense?

Yes......wish Fewell could figure that out too.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

Too dumb to play zone, and not good enough to cover anyone in man.

What's Fewell supposed to call then?

how about this.....

they are just not a very good defense to begin with and injuries have made them even worse

without a pass rush this style D is doomed..

even the almighty Spagnuolos defense would have been shredded without a pass rush

he just happen to have healthy players to rush the passer

and I only bring up Steve because so many of you still pray to a statue of him every night before you go to bed

guess what....

I loved Landrys defense ......but he's not coming back any time soon either so lets move on

[quote user="Strife21"]Just a thought. It sure seems like no one knows what their doing half the time.[/quote]

You realize that zone defense is what you play when you're unsure of what to call on defense right?

If they're too stupid to play zone defense, then they wouldn't be in the NFL (they wouldn't have made it to college for that matter).

Now if you were to say that Fewell's brand of zone defense is a little too complex for them then I would agree.

Nonsensical would be another adjective I'd use for it.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

they are just not a very good defense to begin with and injuries have made them even worse

even the almighty Spagnuolos defense would have been shredded without a pass rush

and I only bring up Steve because so many of you still pray to a statue of him every night before you go to bed

guess what....

I loved Landrys defense ......but he's not coming back any time soon either so lets move on[/quote]

If Spags gets fired this year by the Rams, you wouldn't want to see him back on the Giants sidelines?
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

I loved Landrys defense ......but he's not coming back any time soon either so lets move on[/quote]

If Spags gets fired this year by the Rams, you wouldn't want to see him back on the Giants sidelines?[/quote]

sure Id like to see him back

but its a completely different team.....a whole different time.....Id hate to see something that is remembered so fondly be horrible in the redux

even though the last time we saw a Spagnuolo defense the most memorable things are the Eagles converting a 3rd and 24 and McNabb shredding the middle of the field all day and not getting touched...... sparkling clean white jersey

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

If Spags gets fired this year by the Rams, you wouldn't want to see him back on the Giants sidelines?[/quote]

sure Id like to see him back

but its a completely different team.....a whole different time.....Id hate to see something that is remembered so fondly be horrible in the redux

even though the last time we saw a Spagnuolo defense the most memorable things are the Eagles converting a 3rd and 24 and McNabb shredding the middle of the field all day[/quote]

Odd ... the most memorable thing about Spags' defense (to me) was 17-14.

But yeah I agree ... I'd hate to see Spags come here and our defense be horrible.

But I honestly think with the exact same players, our defense would have been Top 10 this year (not Top 5 only due to injuries).

If for no other reason that Spags knows how and when to blitz and Fewell doesn't.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Strife21"]Just a thought. It sure seems like no one knows what their doing half the time.[/quote]

You realize that zone defense is what you play when you're unsure of what to call on defense right?

If they're too stupid to play zone defense, then they wouldn't be in the NFL (they wouldn't have made it to college for that matter).

Now if you were to say that Fewell's brand of zone defense is a little too complex for them then I would agree.

Nonsensical would be another adjective I'd use for it.[/quote]

could you elaborate on what is so complex about Fewell's zone defense?
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Banned

[quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

The things is this, we shouldn't be as bad as we are in our secondary. We only lost 2 starters on defense to IR, TT and Goff.

We often drop 8 into coverage and we still cannot cover. To me that's on our coaches.

If our guys don't know what they are doing the coaches must simplify the system to suit their skill-set. It's no different than last year with the wide-outs.

If our coaches do not dumb it down then it's on them.

But with that said, there's no excuse for Corey Webster and Antrel Rolle not being on the same page. Who's to blame for that?