+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Week 2 -- Giants and Packers -- In search of a Defense and a Running Game

Well, like I said last week, if the Packers don't find a defense and a running game, forget about the playoffs, no less the SuperBowl. Proved 100% correct today vs SF. Same for NYG.

SanFran has NO QB and NO OFFENSE -- and yet they made the Packers look silly. That's because it appears GB did next to nothing to improve their defense, which the NYG exposed as poor to worse last year. Do GB fans still think the NYG demolition of the Packers last year in the playoffs was a fluke?

NYG also have major problems. Cowboys have the worst offensive line in football, yet the NYG couldn't get real pressure on Romo in the 2nd quarter going forward. And on offense, the running game was putrid, the O-Line overmatched, Cruz in a fog, Coughlin unwilling to trust rookies when his veterans looked like crap.

Prediction: For both the Packers and the NYG -- they both need to find a defense and a running game quickly, or this year will suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Jagger View Post
    Well, like I said last week, if the Packers don't find a defense and a running game, forget about the playoffs, no less the SuperBowl. Proved 100% correct today vs SF. Same for NYG.

SanFran has NO QB and NO OFFENSE -- and yet they made the Packers look silly. That's because it appears GB did next to nothing to improve their defense, which the NYG exposed as poor to worse last year. Do GB fans still think the NYG demolition of the Packers last year in the playoffs was a fluke?

NYG also have major problems. Cowboys have the worst offensive line in football, yet the NYG couldn't get real pressure on Romo in the 2nd quarter going forward. And on offense, the running game was putrid, the O-Line overmatched, Cruz in a fog, Coughlin unwilling to trust rookies when his veterans looked like crap.

Prediction: For both the Packers and the NYG -- they both need to find a defense and a running game quickly, or this year will suck!

First of all, the Cowboys don't have the worst O-line in football, the Giants do, and that's why you have Jacobs that had a resurgent year in SF before getting injured, it's why Bradshaw has been declining despite having some years left in him (rookie in 2007), and why Wilson comes out the gate and falls flat on his face. It's only because we have Eli Manning that our passing game is any better at all. I still wonder why we didnt use any early picks on the O-line, but mine is not to question Reese...

As for defense, I think that will improve just by making people wake up and by our secondary getting healthy. We're down to our 5th CB, and the normally talented Tuck and Osi looked like they didn't really care that much. Maybe threatening to start Ojomo and/or Tracy will make them improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Something is not right with the OL -- Mckenzie was a liability last year, not an asset, rest of the line is the same -- and it was good enough to run the table last year.

As for defense, they were all giving 100% -- but they looked gassed by the 3rd quarter, Canty was really missed, and the CB revolving door didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Jagger View Post
    Something is not right with the OL -- Mckenzie was a liability last year, not an asset, rest of the line is the same -- and it was good enough to run the table last year.
    Kareem was just the worst of the bads. We still have bads that need to either be made not bad or we have to clean house in the 2013 draft.

As for defense, they were all giving 100% -- but they looked gassed by the 3rd quarter, Canty was really missed, and the CB revolving door didn't help.
    Defense was okay until the Cowboys realized the refs weren't calling holding penalties. I think part of the reason Tuck and Osi disappeared is that they realized that they were just being held. Only JPP played to 100% effort out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

A running game would be great, but as we proved last year we don't "NEED" one. What we can't afford is for the WRs to be dropping everything thats thrown at them, and the O line to leave huge gaps for the defense to rush through. As far a defense. The secondary needs to get healthy. The loss of Aaron Ross hurts. Cory Webber is the best CB we have and he looked like a fourth stringer at best. Please god help the Giants secondary!!!
    "My husband can not f****ing throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time." - Gisele Bundchen

Looks like neither team took a step forward in this off season!

Banned
    Why did you steal this topic and post from Green Bay Packers Message Boards?

Wrong

It was MY post on the GB board

Quote Originally Posted by StevieB12 View Post
    A running game would be great, but as we proved last year we don't "NEED" one. What we can't afford is for the WRs to be dropping everything thats thrown at them, and the O line to leave huge gaps for the defense to rush through. As far a defense. The secondary needs to get healthy. The loss of Aaron Ross hurts. Cory Webber is the best CB we have and he looked like a fourth stringer at best. Please god help the Giants secondary!!!
    You're crazy if you think we DON'T need a running game. It will kill us in the end.

We almost missed the playoffs last year. We started finally began to play well. Do you know when that happened? When OUR RUNNING GAME PICKED UP!