+ Reply to Thread

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Tuesday, September 11, 2012

M
    AY WE NEVER FORGET!

H
    ERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Antrel Rolle has "never ever "seen Tony Romo as comfortable against the Giants as in the season opener

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...r_ever_se.html

Excerpt: "Antrel Rolle didn't go quite as far as teammate Justin Tuck, who said Monday that the Giants were "disgusted" with how they played in their season-opening loss to Dallas.

But Rolle "wasn't satisfied." The veteran safety's reason is that he believes the Giants are a better defense than what they showed last Wednesday night, specifically against familiar conference foe Tony Romo." Read more...

Giants' Victor Cruz looking to rebound from "rude awakening" against Cowboys

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Receiver Victor Cruz was the latest Giants player to have strong words about the team's season-opening loss to the Cowboys, calling it a "rude awakening" and a "wake-up call" in his weekly spot today on WFAN Radio.
    Cruz had six catches for 58 yards in the 24-17 loss, but he also had three uncharacteristic drops and two penalties. He's focused on moving forward, but also had some seemingly critical words for himself." Read more

##

Giants' morning run around the NFL: Schiano says Bucs offense won't always be so conservative

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "The Giants are "off" from practice today, but preparation continues for a Tampa Bay Buccaneers team that Tom Coughlin and several players echoed looked impressive Sunday in Greg Schiano's NFL head coaching debut." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Giants' stars in rush to get some sacks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1156353

Excerpt: "Osi Umenyiora walked off the field last Wednesday night shaking his head in disbelief. He was stunned that the Giants’ three vaunted defensive ends - Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul and himself - hadn’t sacked Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo even once.

“After the game I felt terrible,” Umenyiora said on Monday. “I was like, ‘Man, I can’t believe we didn’t get there.’ But after we watched it on tape I saw the things they were doing and the things (Romo) did that we really didn’t have that much control over.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

Opening day flop has G9iants loooking up at NFC East foes

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...GEmTaKVatV7QRI

Excerpt: "Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes! Volcanoes! Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Venkman: Human sacrifice! Dogsand cats living together! Mass hysteria!

YES. The Giants woke up in last place yesterday.

They woke up in last place today, too. And will do so tomorrow. And Thursday. And Friday. The weekend? Last place, and no matter how next weekend shakes out, they are destined to fare no better than waking up tied for last place next Monday, too." Read more..

Giants' Prince 'optimistic' about playing, Beatty says he’s ready to start
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...YD5jdTmDJnh1WJ

Excerpt: "Prince Amukamara searched for the right word to use to describe how he feels about playing on Sunday against the Buccaneers.

“I’m very, what’s the word you guys use … optimistic,’’ Amukamara said on Monday.
    After missing the season-opening loss to the Cowboys with a high ankle sprain, Amukamara tested himself this past Sunday, running for the first time. He liked what he felt and, more importantly, so did the Giants training staff.
    “The trainers saw how confident I was and they allowed me to go today,’’ Amukamara said.

As the Giants practiced on Monday, Amukamara participated in at least part of every drill.

“I did everything besides special teams,’’ he said. “It felt good, I just went out there to see what I could do and see if I had any limitations. I didn’t aggravate it today and it felt good. I feel like I’m still not running how I used to but I still feel good out there.’’ Read more...
    SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

Victor Cruz vows to redeem himself after poor Giants' opener

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/St...ts_opener.html

Excerpt: "
    Victor Cruz was hit with criticism from every direction.

At this point last season, his Twitter timeline was flooded with messages from fans questioning him after what he then called a “forgettable” Week 1 performance.

Cruz dropped the first Eli Manning pass to come his way in the Giants’ season-opening loss to the Redskins in Washington a year ago, and fans were relentless on social media.There was plenty of criticism for a then-unknown wide receiver from Paterson and former preseason hero for his two-TD performance against the Jets the previous summer.All mostly from the same fan base that now adores him, of course.
    “Just catch the ball.’’

“Come on, Cruz, we need you.’’

“Maybe you’re not the player we thought you were.’’ Read more...

##

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

Giants will face several former coaches, players against Buccaneers

http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/11/...ay-buccaneers/

Excerpt: "In an aspect of this Sunday's upcoming bout with the Tampa Bay Buccaneersthat has gone generally undiscussed, the New York Giants will square off against several former coaches and players that may possess an in depth knowledge of Big Blue's schemes and personnel.

Among them are Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan and defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan. Having two high level coaches with significant experience within the Giants coaching staff on the opposing sideline could present an issue for Tom Coughlin and Co." Read more...

##

Giants' Will Beatty ready to resume role at letf tackle

http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/11/...t-left-tackle/

After playing only in jumbo packages as an eligible receiver in last Wednesday's loss to the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants offensive lineman Will Beattysays his back if feeling much better and he's ready to resume his starting role at left tackle, which has been manned by veteran Sean Locklear.
    "There's no pain," Beatty said on Monday. “I’m just waiting until [coach Coughlin] gives me the go-ahead.”

Like teammates James Brewer and Marvin Austin, Beatty was hampered by a back injury that seemed to have been exacerbated by the small mattresses at the University at Albany. And although no one would come right out and blame said mattresses, the general consensus was that they were at fault." Read more...

Giants' Victor Cruz "getting back to the little things" after forgettable first week

http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/11/...able-week-one/

New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz was a pleasant discovery after being signed as an undrafted free agent in 2010 from the University of Massachusetts. Last season he emerged as a top weapon for Eli Manning, setting a franchise record with 1,536 receiving yards. However, in the first week of the 2012 season, Cruz had his worst game of his career after dropping three passes and being called for two penalties.
    After such a successful season in 2011, it was only natural that Cruz would receive a great deal of attention in the offseason. He became the guest on several talk shows, handed out an award at the ESPY's, was on the cover of GQ Magazine, appeared in several commercials and released his own book. Victor was seen doing his signature 'salsa dance' everywhere and some blame his sudden celebrity status for his poor performance in the season opener." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

Giants roster power rankings: Rating the players form 1 - 53

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/11...ul-victor-cruz

While we are talking about NFL Power Rankings I thought I would do something a little different. After the jump, you will find a look at the Giants' roster, with players ranked from 1-53.

Honestly, I know how subjective it is. And I know how much you can argue about this, especially the guys in the middle -- almost anywhere from 10 or 12 right through around 40. I just think it might be interesting to use this as a baseline and see how it changes throughout the season." Read more...
    NFL powser rankings, week 2, Giants tumble after opening loss

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/11...r-opening-loss

I know many of you hate weekly NFL Power Rankings. And I know they are subjective and don't mean a whole lot. They are, however, good fodder for discussion and they can tell us what folks around the Inter-Google think of the New York Giants.
    That said, let's look around quickly and see where the Giants rank entering Week 2.SB Nation.com drops the Giants from No. 2 to No. 6, and NFL Editor Joel Thorman isn't very nice about it, either. He writes:"Should we be surprised they dropped the season opener? This team isn't the Patriots, a team that wins 13 games seemingly every year. They barely made it into the playoffs last season, a notch above .500."SB Nation New York has the Giants all the way down at No. 17. Now that is a lack of respect for the defending champs.Other rankings:" Read more...

##

David Wilson - Doug Martin comparisons are inevitable

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/11...2012-nfl-draft

Going back to our coverage here at Big Blue View leading up to the the 2012 NFL Draft there was a lot of speculation that if the New York Giants were to take a running back with the 32nd overall pick of the first roundDoug Martin of Boise State would be the perfect candidate. To be fair, we also did spend some time talking about David Wilson.

We know how this turned out. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, selecting 31st, selected Martin. The Giants, selecting 32nd, chose Wilson." Read more...

Giants vs Buccaneers: The Cavalry is coming! Maybe

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/10...in-will-beatty

Could the cavalry be coming Sunday to help the New York Giants in a game they need to win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? Or, at least, some badly-needed reinforcements.
    Head coach Tom Coughlin spoke earlier Monday about some of the injured Giants. Well, cornerback Prince Amukamara, defensive tackleMarvin Austin and offensive tackle Will Beatty are among those injured players. Amukamara (high ankle sprain) and Austin (back) did not play at all. Beatty played just five snaps as he works his way back after missing the entire offseason program and most of the preseason with a back injury.All three sounded optimistic on Monday." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

Remembering 9-1-1 and the impact sports had on the emotinal recovery of America

http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/11/...ry-of-america/
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 09-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

A lot of stuff in the air for this next game against the Bucks, who is starting at LT ? Where does Deihl fits if Beatty comes back ? Is Prince ready to comeback and are they holding down Coe continuing our depth problems another more week ? Is Austin playing and how effective is he going to be ? DT's need help with another body to give the rotation more breathing room .
    Thanks RF !

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    A lot of stuff in the air for this next game against the Bucks, who is starting at LT ? Where does Deihl fits if Beatty comes back ? Is Prince ready to comeback and are they holding down Coe continuing our depth problems another more week ? Is Austin playing and how effective is he going to be ? DT's need help with another body to give the rotation more breathing room .
    Thanks RF !
    Did you ever think we'd have two sacks in a game and neither attributed to a DE?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Did you ever think we'd have two sacks in a game and neither attributed to a DE?
    Yea, sad but I'm getting more and more convinced that Osi, Tuck and JPP were overconfident playing the cowboys in the home opener.

Starter
    I don't think overconfident so much as the Cowboys did their homework in the off season and were just sick of losing to the Giants. No one "owns" anyone in this division. They all have upgraded their clubs.

We do need a win this weekend.
    Thanks RF-this wait is awful.

Veteran
    Thank you sir.

I'm always concerned when we play the Cowboys because like them or not they are always capable of beating whoever they play and now it looks like they have added more talent to the roster and thats just going to make them more dangerous. Its going to take a lot more effort than we showed last week to beat them and we better understand that right now...

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Thank you sir.
    You're welcome

# 80

thanks Roanoke!

sad anniversary for New York, Washington and the World.

rip all those who lost their lives in this tragedy!