+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Romo. Don't kill me.

I am a giants fan. I don't like tony romo, and prefer Eli over him at the quarterback position. I constantly get irritated when media-let's and average fans say they'd rather have romo over Eli, mostly because they reference his numbers that he managed to accumulate in a pass happy offense over the first couple years of his career.

However, I was thinking about it the other day, and I can understand choosing romo over Eli from a business perspective. As much a I don't want to admit it, tony is a solid, serviceable quarterback. Combine that with the fact that he makes 8-9 million a year (60 million overall on his contract), and I think you have the opportunity to build a really solid team.

Yes, he has an occasional melt down and case of the butterflies in fourth quarters. The guy has progressively gotten better over the course of his career, and is a tremendous leader for that franchise. He doesn't let the media get to him either. You're not going to find the intangibles he possesses and abilities in any quarterback making 60 million right now. How doesn't this Dallas team win every year with the amount of cash they're saving on him?

And I do love Eli. Better win another super bowl to live up to that contract though.

Re: Romo. Don't kill me.

Nothing wrong with what you said there. And it makes sense in a way I suppose. but what you said about Romo having mental lapses easily answers this question. And it is exactly why I'd take Mr. Eli Manning over him.

So Romo may have the more consistent season as far as stats. But Eli will never f up in tough situations.

[quote user="Rusty192"]Nothing wrong with what you said there. And it makes sense in a way I suppose. but what you said about Romo having mental lapses easily answers this question. And it is exactly why I'd take Mr. Eli Manning over him.

So Romo may have the more consistent season as far as stats. But Eli will never f up in tough situations.
    [/quote]

Granted Dallas has had some good defenses over the years, but if romo was on say, San Francisco, with a defense that could make up for his bone headed plays, and a coach that wouldn't tolerate them, we might think of him as that upper echelon quarterback. Although he isn't, he's making David Garrard money. Even the most stubborn of giants fans can admit he brings more to the table then Garrard ever will.

I guess it kind of all comes back to jerry jones. How does he not piece together a super bowl winner with the discount he has at the quarterback position?

[quote user="Rusty192"]Nothing wrong with what you said there. And it makes sense in a way I suppose. but what you said about Romo having mental lapses easily answers this question. And it is exactly why I'd take Mr. Eli Manning over him.

[/quote]

Their contracts are not as different as you think. Agents, Players and GMs will all say that the only thing that matters is guaranteed money.

Romo 6yrs/30m
    Eli 7yrs/35m

Salary and incentives can be tweaked to make player contracts more cap friendly.

These deals will all seem like peanuts when the new cap numbers come out. The TV contracts for NBC/CBS/FOX were all renewed at a 3b/yr vs the current deal 1.9b/yr.

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Rusty192"]Nothing wrong with what you said there. And it makes sense in a way I suppose. but what you said about Romo having mental lapses easily answers this question. And it is exactly why I'd take Mr. Eli Manning over him.

[/quote]

Their contracts are not as different as you think. Agents, Players and GMs will all say that the only thing that matters is guaranteed money.

Romo 6yrs/30m
    Eli 7yrs/35m

Salary and incentives can be tweaked to make player contracts more cap friendly.

These deals will all seem like peanuts when the new cap numbers come out. The TV contracts for NBC/CBS/FOX were all renewed at a 3b/yr vs the current deal 1.9b/yr.[/quote]

Interesting. I wonder how many of those incentives romo lives up to.

Veteran

I see what you're saying there but I don't think you look for value in the QB position. Any great QB in this league is automatically a good value no matter how much he makes. What I mean is, the difference between Romo and Eli is maybe 5, 6 million a year in salary. With that money you could buy maybe one solid starter (depending on position), or a couple of role players. You couldn't afford a franchise left tackle, or a top-tier pass rusher, or a shutdown corner. So is it really worth it to downgrade the QB position just to get one more decent player on the roster?

[quote user="jhamburg"]I see what you're saying there but I don't think you look for value in the QB position. Any great QB in this league is automatically a good value no matter how much he makes. What I mean is, the difference between Romo and Eli is maybe 5, 6 million a year in salary. With that money you could buy maybe one solid starter (depending on position), or a couple of role players. You couldn't afford a franchise left tackle, or a top-tier pass rusher, or a shutdown corner. So is it really worth it to downgrade the QB position just to get one more decent player on the roster?[/quote]

Or six depth players? I'd love to have three more cb's and some more guys on the offensive line. I bet Eli wouldn't mind it either.

Veteran

[quote user="greenca190"][quote user="jhamburg"]I see what you're saying there but I don't think you look for value in the QB position. Any great QB in this league is automatically a good value no matter how much he makes. What I mean is, the difference between Romo and Eli is maybe 5, 6 million a year in salary. With that money you could buy maybe one solid starter (depending on position), or a couple of role players. You couldn't afford a franchise left tackle, or a top-tier pass rusher, or a shutdown corner. So is it really worth it to downgrade the QB position just to get one more decent player on the roster?[/quote]

Or six depth players? I'd love to have three more cb's and some more guys on the offensive line. I bet Eli wouldn't mind it either.[/quote]

But you wouldn't have Eli. That's the point ;-)

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="greenca190"][quote user="jhamburg"]I see what you're saying there but I don't think you look for value in the QB position. Any great QB in this league is automatically a good value no matter how much he makes. What I mean is, the difference between Romo and Eli is maybe 5, 6 million a year in salary. With that money you could buy maybe one solid starter (depending on position), or a couple of role players. You couldn't afford a franchise left tackle, or a top-tier pass rusher, or a shutdown corner. So is it really worth it to downgrade the QB position just to get one more decent player on the roster?[/quote]

Or six depth players? I'd love to have three more cb's and some more guys on the offensive line. I bet Eli wouldn't mind it either.[/quote]

But you wouldn't have Eli. That's the point ;-)[/quote]

Do you think Romo is underpaid (in comparison to NFL standards)?

Veteran

[quote user="greenca190"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="greenca190"][quote user="jhamburg"]I see what you're saying there but I don't think you look for value in the QB position. Any great QB in this league is automatically a good value no matter how much he makes. What I mean is, the difference between Romo and Eli is maybe 5, 6 million a year in salary. With that money you could buy maybe one solid starter (depending on position), or a couple of role players. You couldn't afford a franchise left tackle, or a top-tier pass rusher, or a shutdown corner. So is it really worth it to downgrade the QB position just to get one more decent player on the roster?[/quote]

But you wouldn't have Eli. That's the point ;-)[/quote]

Do you think Romo is underpaid (in comparison to NFL standards)?[/quote]

Yes, he's a franchise QB he could be making more. But I'd still rather overpay for a great QB than underpay for a good one. I wouldn't say that about any other position.