+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Romo. Don't kill me.

Not going to kill you and respect your opinion but never had the thought in the past of preferring Romo over Eli much less in the present time. We could get in talking and debating a lot of issues from contract deals, stats, wins and more but IMO to yours truly it useless. To me ELI. AS IT ! Period ! Tony Oh No doesn't has it and never will and this kills a lot of Cowpies fans, ex boys players, media lovers and of course Jerry Jones.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

[quote user="G-Men Surg."]Not going to kill you and respect your opinion but never had the thought in the past of preferring Romo over Eli much less in the present time. We could get in talking and debating a lot of issues from contract deals, stats, wins and more but IMO to yours truly it useless. To me ELI. AS IT ! Period ! Tony Oh No doesn't has it and never will and this kills a lot of Cowpies fans, ex boys players, media lovers and of course Jerry Jones.[/quote]

Yeah, I mean I'm not sitting here making a case for the Giants to trade for Romo or anything. I just have a tough time justifying a 100 million dollar contract to anyone. Not just Eli. I guess that's the shape of the NFL now, though.

When it comes down to it, I think Romo is capable of winning super bowls with the right organization, and the right team around him. Building that team with 40 million extra dollars at your expense should be possible. Ryan Fitzpatrick makes similar money to him. So did the ex-Jag Davod Garrard. I can not picture Fitz bringing the Bills to the super bowl, or any team Garrard might end up on.

Jerry Jones might be a good owner (funding for his stadium, making every one happy, etc.). I'm not entirely sure on that, but I always hear a majority of people say it. However, it seems as if he's a **** general manager, which might not come as a surprise to anyone. This team has been a legitimate threat for half a decade now though. They still haven't sniffed the super bowl.

[quote user="greenca190"][quote user="G-Men Surg."]Not going to kill you and respect your opinion but never had the thought in the past of preferring Romo over Eli much less in the present time. We could get in talking and debating a lot of issues from contract deals, stats, wins and more but IMO to yours truly it useless. To me ELI. AS IT ! Period ! Tony Oh No doesn't has it and never will and this kills a lot of Cowpies fans, ex boys players, media lovers and of course Jerry Jones.[/quote]

Yeah, I mean I'm not sitting here making a case for the Giants to trade for Romo or anything. I just have a tough time justifying a 100 million dollar contract to anyone. Not just Eli. I guess that's the shape of the NFL now, though.

When it comes down to it, I think Romo is capable of winning super bowls with the right organization, and the right team around him. Building that team with 40 million extra dollars at your expense should be possible. Ryan Fitzpatrick makes similar money to him. So did the ex-Jag Davod Garrard. I can not picture Fitz bringing the Bills to the super bowl, or any team Garrard might end up on.

Jerry Jones might be a good owner (funding for his stadium, making every one happy, etc.). I'm not entirely sure on that, but I always hear a majority of people say it. However, it seems as if he's a **** general manager, which might not come as a surprise to anyone. This team has been a legitimate threat for half a decade now though. They still haven't sniffed the super bowl.[/quote]

The window of success for anybody is tiny and can close up fast and there is not an exact formula or recipe to achieve success but I do see a constant through out the years watching football and that is drafting a franchise QB, a true winner in all sense with all the tangibles and of course the most difficult ingredient the intangibles . The IT factor. Its hard enough building a winner but its almost impossible IMO when you don't have a QB with all the tools. Its been the same way since I can remember talking about finance and contracts and I think its not going to change it the near future much less considering the exponential growth the league has year in and year out and frankly you only hear complaints when you stike out ! So far thats not the case with the Giants and Eli, the investment has paid off and still paying off.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Romo might have had better numbers than Eli in some years but he was never, ever a better QB.

[quote user="Moss#83"]Romo might have had better numbers than Eli in some years but he was never, ever a better QB.[/quote]

Dude I know, I'm not saying that. I knew there would be people on this board that would refuse to even try to comprehend a different poit of view.

[quote user="Moss#83"]Romo might have had better numbers than Eli in some years but he was never, ever a better QB.[/quote]

I don't remember if it was this board, but I remember after the Giants and Cowboys played for the second time in 2006 there were quite a few giants fans angry that the Cowboys 'struck gold' with Romo. Eli was a bum, Romo was the man, and talks of that went on until you guys beat us in the playoffs in 2007.

Eli finally put it together that year and made some nice plays to help the Giants to win a superbowl. And then the competition was history in the eyes of Giants fans because Eli was now 'proven'.

The first year I ever thought highly of Eli Manning was 2009. Up until that point he was a bus driver, in my opinion. Now he carries the team. Like Romo I view him as a slow developer. The only difference is that Manning was a number one overall pick and Romo was an Undrafted Free Agent.

But I'll give the nod to Eli. I've always said that he had to be considered better in the close race between QBs because of the superbowl win and his performance in the 2007 playoffs. But it hasn't been until this year where I look at Eli Manning and think he's actually a better QB all around.

That said, I think a lot of Romo's mistakes this year have been overblown because of the spotlight that he holds, while Eli's made a few himself in the losses the Giants have had. Romo has actually had only 2 less game winning drives this year than Eli's six, although I can think of two off the top of my head where he led game winning or tying drives but special teams wasn't able to capitalize on.

Overall, while I give Manning the nod to being better, I think the race is closer than the media is giving it credit for right now, and the valid points in the OP help narrow that gap.