+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-Pro

Taking a closer look at our wins and losses

I posted this in an OFF Thread that didnt have alot to do with the Topic of that Thread so i thought i would Repost it here in a new thread....

sorry its such a long post and i know people get bored and dont read the long ones, but bare with me for a second......

******The Problem is in the games where the Defense steps up, the offense doesnt score enough points which made for close wins or even losses.

Exp's; Game 1 - Held Skins to 28 and lost cause we only scored 14. played down to opponent

Game 2 -- again we held Rams under 30 beating them 28-16. Again the Offense didnt score 30 but we got the win but it was a struggle. Should have blown them out. Playd down to opponent

Game 3 -- beat eagles AWAY.. prob besides Pats one of best all around games of year.. 29-16. Held them under 20 (2nd game in row D did that) but we didnt score 30...Good win

Game 4 -- First time where we scored over 30 and held opponent uinder 30 in a 31-27 win over Cards. However that Cruz play is called correctly we lose 27-24

Game 5-- Bad loss giving up 36 to Seattle and we only put up 25. Played down to opponent

Game 6-- 27-24 win over Bills.. Good Win held them under 30 (high scoring offense) and got the win. didnt score 30 ourselves but like the Eagles game. Great overall performance

Game 7 -- 20-17 Win over Winless Dolphins. Again held opponent down under 20 but played WAY down to level of Opp only scoring 20.. Starting to see a pattern here??

Game 8 -- 24-20 win over Pats. Great win. goes with Philly and Bills games. again didnt score over 30 but beat an elite team.

Game 9 -- 27-20 loss to niners at SF. Great overall game but another case of holding OPP under 30 and not putting up the numbers ourselves only putting up 20. D did great job holding SF to reasonable points but Offense could not score enough.

Game 10--17-10 loss at HOME to Philly. Again D steps up holds OPP under 20. Offense doesnt show up. scores only 10...

Game 11-- 49-24.. Bad on boths sides of the Ball. and we got some garbage time Tds or it would have been worse..

Game 12-- 38-35 Loss to the Champs. We put up over 30 but couldnt stop them from scoring.especially with 58ticks left.

Game 13-- 37-34 win over Dallas. again socred over 30 but really couldnt stop their offense..stopped them that one time it counted when we scored that first TD to ballard to close to 34-29 to get the ball back to go on the game winning drive. but again D almost fails with 46ticks left

So the pattern here is CLEAR. Mostly playing up or down to level of Opponents all season. When we score over 30 the other team is to and we are eeking out wins. When we hold them under 30 or even 20 we were still either just eeking out wins because the offense decided not to score as much that day or we lost cause the offense couldnt score enough.

9times we have held opp's under 30... in 8 of them we dont score 30 ourselves and were 5-3 in those games. In the 1 game of the 9 we did score over 30 we beat the Cards 31-27 and prob should of lost that game.

In games when opp's scored 30 or more we are 1-3 with the only win coming at Dallas this past week

We need to change that trend going into the playoffs and score over 30 and hold Skins, Jets and Dallas to under 30.. no lets say under 20 points in all of those games giving us 3 overall balanced games in a row prior to playoffs.

9times we have held opp's under 30... in 8 of them we dont score 30 ourselves and were 5-3 in those games. In the 1 game of the 9 we did score over 30 we beat the Cards 31-27 and prob should of lost that game.

5 Times we held our OPP under 20 and we are 4-1 in those games with only loss to philly.

By the way this offense has only scored over 30pts just 3times this season.

they have scored over 25pts 8times. So that must be the key number. right around 4tds and try and hold the opp to about 3 or less. Dont think that will happen with the pattern they have set in 13 games but we will see.

Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Re: Taking a closer look at our wins and losses

The way this team is built lends itself to close games. We won't blow anyone out because we don't have the running game or the defense to close the game. This is why we rely so heavily on Eli.

In reality, we "play down to our opponent" because we are not built to maintain a big lead

All-Pro

[quote user="tuck&rolle"]The way this team is built lends itself to close games. We won't blow anyone out because we don't have the running game or the defense to close the game. This is why we rely so heavily on Eli.

In reality, we "play down to our opponent" because we are not built to maintain a big lead
    [/quote]

I think you may have hit the NAIL on the head.

Its just sad to look back and see as GREAT as Eli has played this year. It seems like in alot of the games where the D actually stepped up and held the other team down under 30 or even 20 the offense didnt match them in that same game. Seems when we do score a Bunch the other team is to and when we dont the D holds the team down.

I would just like to see one game where they both play to the MAX potental they have that we have seen isolated one or the other all year..

Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Giants have been playing up and down to their opponents for longer than this season.

They are long overdue to stomp someone out! Let's hope it's this weekend.
    Do not feed the trolls.

We need to make a statement this week. A big win over Washington would go a long way to make this team seem legit, and give us all a rest from the sick stomach feeling.

Bench Player

I miss when our d only asked the offense for 17 points. Holding a team under 30 is not an accomplishment.

Cant remember who, but we did shut out a team in 2009, obviously was one of first 4-5 games..Wasn't it Tampa? It was probably the worst team ever, but still.

[quote user="miked1958"]

Game 4 -- First time where we scored over 30 and held opponent uinder 30 in a 31-27 win over Cards. However that Cruz play is called correctly we lose 27-24

Are you trying to start something with this statement?

Also I'm pretty sure anyone who isn't a spokes person for the Giants knows that we play down to opponents. In fact the only time I saw us not play down to an inferior opponent was in 2009 when Eli had an injury and there was a sense of urgency to get up and get Eli out of the game.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="tuck&rolle"]The way this team is built lends itself to close games. We won't blow anyone out because we don't have the running game or the defense to close the game. This is why we rely so heavily on Eli.

[/quote]

This would have some weight if we were losing big leads but we're not. We've played from behind most of the year which would mean we're really not built to get a lead more than maintain one.

The only problem is when you play Teams like The Pats and Packers down to the last minute and you also play teams like the Cards and Dolphins down to the last minute its pretty clear that you play up and down depending on the opponent.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

It's so simple.

When you don't have a good running game to control the clock and keep the other offense off the field, and when you don't have a good defense (especially the secondary) your going to have very close games unless our pass attack does not work, we will get blown out.

Simple as that, clearly we didn't have either the whole friggen year.

But now, I see our running game is getting better, we need to control the clock better to keep the defense off the field because clearly the defense won't get any better this year, I don't believe it to be true