+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

The loss of Manningham is going to be felt until someone steps up

This is not a debate about him staying or not, but rather who really has the proven separation speed that he did when he was the 3rd option. Truth be told, he was the true burner of the receiving core. Yes, I know, some on this board think he was a dumb, stupid, idiot, jerk, hooked on phonics, short yellow bus receiver. I got that. Some just hated the guy because it made them feel good. Hixon is a nice guy and knows the playbook, but he simply doesn't posses separation speed, nor is he a consistently good route runner. Nice guys don't necessarily get open. He had a nice catch against the Cowboys, but I've re watched that game a few times now, and games from three years ago, and he simply cannot separate on a consistent basis. He also has no upside.

That being said, our opponents actually prepared for Manningham as if he was a number 1 or 2 option. There were games a couple of years ago when Steve Smith and Nicks were both out at the same time and he filled in nicely, with the Giants winning all of those games. Sure he made mistakes. Hasn't Nicks and Cruz? If Ruben Randle is as NFL ready as Reese and Coughlin have stated, then why hamper his development by not starting him immediately as the 3rd option? It makes no sense. You don't think Manningham was critical to our playoff success and second Super Bowl trophy?

I'm tired of hearing about the possible potential of Jernigan and Barden. Let's see it. NOW! Nicks simply does not look ready. His foot could possibly be a season long problem. We need another reliable target who can get open regardless of Nick's status. I think that can be Randle, but we won't know unless Coughlin plays him more. When Nicks was out for a few games in the past, I didn't panic because of Manningham. That underestimated security blanket is gone, so someone had better show and tell ASAP. Oh, and please, don't compare Manningham's current status with SF. It has nothing to do with what he provided for this team. Different team, system and QB.

That would be Hixon. You description of his skill sets is in direct opposition to what Eli and the coaching staff say.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    That would be Hixon. You description of his skill sets is in direct opposition to what Eli and the coaching staff say.
    And yet is has never translated on the field. The eyes don't lie. He's never has a WOW! game.

Quote Originally Posted by I Bleed Blue View Post
    And yet is has never translated on the field. The eyes don't lie. He's never has a WOW! game.
    In 2008, with Toomer and S.Smith on the team, he led all receivers. If you watched the game last week and subsequently the tapes provided by Sappineck (sp) you could not conclude he's not a legitimate # 3. Fortunatley, we don't get to decide.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I agree Manningham was Eli's td guy down this the red zone like hixon is not even close to were near Manninham was.... if he was still all three trio of WR's we would dominate people say he was a bad route running which wan't terrible say big play abiltiy against the Falcons, clinching td in GB and I huger 3rd and 15 catch for a td and not to mention the fact him and the greatest every SB catch even though Eli thought he ball perferct I miss Rio a lot;

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    I agree Manningham was Eli's td guy down this the red zone like hixon is not even close to were near Manninham was.... if he was still all three trio of WR's we would dominate people say he was a bad route running which wan't terrible say big play abiltiy against the Falcons, clinching td in GB and I huger 3rd and 15 catch for a td and not to mention the fact him and the greatest every SB catch even though Eli thought he ball perferct I miss Rio a lot;
    Hixon is, hands down, a better route runner than Mario.

i made almost that exact post earlier. our mo was having that 3rd wr be just as dangerous as the first 2. hixon is solid, but he doesnt possess that tangible that makes defenses sweat him.he's a solid, good player, but at that 3rd wr spot, we need an electric guy who can make as big a play as nicks n cruz. MM had that despite his other short comings.Hixon doesnt have that imo.
    Randle has deceptive speed, and good size. i think he has the potential to make defenses pay if they dont focus on him. I dont see Barden as an improvement over Hixon. he seems to be a good depth player who can make the occasional catch, altho i hope he can break out a few games. JJ has that electric speed, and I hope he gets some shots, but he doesnt seem ready yet.
    So we may need to go with Hixon until Randle/JJ are ready to break out.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Hixon is, hands down, a better route runner than Mario.
    You have got to be joking. Right?

Hes right. Manningham never was a consistent route runner. Hixon is a very polished receiver.

That's what Gilbride thinks and, yes, I do as well. Mario was not a great route runner. He always had trouble with his sideline routes.