+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Random question about ruling

Hey this is my first post.... i have a question about a rule, or lack there of, that could help teams block field goals. is there any rule specifying where on the football field an attempted field goal must be blocked from before it crosses through the uprights? in other words, when teams go for 50+ yard field goal, game winning or tying goal, is there any rule from stopping players from standing 9-yards deep in the end zone and jumping up, much like a center in basketball, and knock down a ball that would barely make it through otherwise. anyways, is this legal and if so, why dont teams do this? i know a lot of players like wide receivers can jump that high and it seems like that player would be more likely to make the block than one more player on the line. if this is a bad idea, please excuse my ignorance. i was just always wondering why teams dont do this, thanks

Re: Random question about ruling

[quote user="yvyvyv"]Hey this is my first post.... i have a question about a rule, or lack there of, that could help teams block field goals. is there any rule specifying where on the football field an attempted field goal must be blocked from before it crosses through the uprights? in other words, when teams go for 50+ yard field goal, game winning or tying goal, is there any rule from stopping players from standing 9-yards deep in the end zone and jumping up, much like a center in basketball, and knock down a ball that would barely make it through otherwise. anyways, is this legal and if so, why dont teams do this? i know a lot of players like wide receivers can jump that high and it seems like that player would be more likely to make the block than one more player on the line. if this is a bad idea, please excuse my ignorance. i was just always wondering why teams dont do this, thanks[/quote]

Interesting question. I don't know for sure but I would think it's absolutely legal.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

It would be legal but not easy.

[quote user="yvyvyv"]Hey this is my first post.... i have a question about a rule, or lack there of, that could help teams block field goals. is there any rule specifying where on the football field an attempted field goal must be blocked from before it crosses through the uprights? in other words, when teams go for 50+ yard field goal, game winning or tying goal, is there any rule from stopping players from standing 9-yards deep in the end zone and jumping up, much like a center in basketball, and knock down a ball that would barely make it through otherwise. anyways, is this legal and if so, why dont teams do this? i know a lot of players like wide receivers can jump that high and it seems like that player would be more likely to make the block than one more player on the line. if this is a bad idea, please excuse my ignorance. i was just always wondering why teams dont do this, thanks[/quote]

Probably no rule against it, but I'm going to guess that most players can only get their hand a foot or so above the cross-bar...so the chances of it actually working is pretty small.

That said, if the FG attempt is short, they can catch the ball and run it back...

[quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="yvyvyv"]Hey this is my first post.... i have a question about a rule, or lack there of, that could help teams block field goals. is there any rule specifying where on the football field an attempted field goal must be blocked from before it crosses through the uprights? in other words, when teams go for 50+ yard field goal, game winning or tying goal, is there any rule from stopping players from standing 9-yards deep in the end zone and jumping up, much like a center in basketball, and knock down a ball that would barely make it through otherwise. anyways, is this legal and if so, why dont teams do this? i know a lot of players like wide receivers can jump that high and it seems like that player would be more likely to make the block than one more player on the line. if this is a bad idea, please excuse my ignorance. i was just always wondering why teams dont do this, thanks[/quote]

Interesting question. I don't know for sure but I would think it's absolutely legal.
    [/quote]

Didn't Dallas have Ed "Too Tall" Jones try and do that a few times?

[quote user="Drez"]

[quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="yvyvyv"]Hey this is my first post.... i have a question about a rule, or lack there of, that could help teams block field goals. is there any rule specifying where on the football field an attempted field goal must be blocked from before it crosses through the uprights? in other words, when teams go for 50+ yard field goal, game winning or tying goal, is there any rule from stopping players from standing 9-yards deep in the end zone and jumping up, much like a center in basketball, and knock down a ball that would barely make it through otherwise. anyways, is this legal and if so, why dont teams do this? i know a lot of players like wide receivers can jump that high and it seems like that player would be more likely to make the block than one more player on the line. if this is a bad idea, please excuse my ignorance. i was just always wondering why teams dont do this, thanks[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn't Dallas have Ed "Too Tall" Jones try and do that a few times?

[/quote]
    I don't remember that but he and Harold Carmichael would have been perfect for that.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

The physics suggest its much easier to block the FG up where it is kicked then back at the goalpost.

Bench Player

http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/go...g-for-football

it is only legal if the player (from behind the goal line) catches it cleanly. as soon as the player blocks it without making a clean catch, it is a safety pending a fumble or recovery made by the original team obviously. the writer also made an interesting point that that if you are the team defending a 3-point lead at the end of regulation, it would make sense to put a player on the line in the off chance that you will give up the safety and win by one point.

[quote user="yvyvyv"]http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/goaltending-for-football

it is only legal if the player (from behind the goal line) catches it cleanly. as soon as the player blocks it without making a clean catch, it is a safety pending a fumble or recovery made by the original team obviously. the writer also made an interesting point that that if you are the team defending a 3-point lead at the end of regulation, it would make sense to put a player on the line in the off chance that you will give up the safety and win by one point.[/quote]
    wow that's interesting. unlikely but interesting. (If it did happen the NoFunLeague would change the rule of course).

Starter

I would think that if the offense saw a defensive player down at the goal line during a field goal attempt, they would try to advance the ball rather than kick it. One less defender on the line......

Chris