+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is steve smith and kevin boss now? Eli made them.

Where is steve smith and kevin boss now? Eli made them.

I hate to bring up the Eli elite thing because in my opinion its beginning to get rather annoying. Anytime Eli throws a pass or steps into a game someone is bringing up the fact he is no longer Peytons little brother and that he is now in the class of his own. I think its time everyone gives it a rest and just lets him play his game. However, I have no choice but to bring this up even though it pains me to sound so cliche.

Steve smith was a very average receiver that Eli made look good. He wasn't quick, or fast. he didn't really have the best hands to be honest. He was just a good route runner. Now that he doesn't have a Good Qb throwing him the ball look at his production. Cruz > Smith by a mile plus more. Great receivers still produce at a certain level even if they don't have an elite Qb throwing them the ball. Just look at Brandon Marshall, Larry fritz, Megatron (when Stafford was injured) or Steve smith (panthers). The list goes on but you get the point.

Another very average player was Kevin boss. he played so bad last year that the raiders decided to cut him, and if you get cut by the raiders i think that alone says something about what type of player you are. Ballard played better in his limited time with us. Boss is just another example of a player who was average that Eli made look good.

Now it seems as though we are going through the manningham phrase. Manningham made some big plays for us in key situations. But so did Steve smith and kevin boss. When i think of manningham i think of someone who is not consistent in catching the ball and is often not on the same page as eli. Someone who haS some quickness to make people miss in the open field but was never a real deep threat. But thats based on my opinion.

Hixon played a good game the other night and in my opinion he already shows signs of being better than maninham. I cant remember the last time mario went up and snatched a jump ball out of the air with 2 guys in his face. Not to mention hixon beat his guy on that play. Hixon is probably faster than maninham and he displayed his speed on pass punt returns. The only way i think hixon wont have a productive year is if he gets injured or the O line doesnt protect Eli at all.'' Here is my bold prediction. With the injury to hakeem nicks, dont be surprised if hixon ends up having a more productive year this season.

The WR position is probably the least of our worries at the moment. My nick name for eli is "the possibility". With him on the field all things are possible. If you're an average receiver he will make you look good. If you are above average then you will look great. It sounds like a broken record but its true.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 09-13-2012 at 02:42 PM.

w/o reading it fully, Smith is a starting WR for the Rams I believe, and Boss caught a TD for KC week 1.

this is an interesting post. I agree with parts of it, but theres parts I disagree.
    For example, Smith had that knee injury. I think the whole contract issue is why he rushed back. Gmen0820 has correctly explained numerously that with the type of injury Smith had, it takes 99% of the nfl players 2 years to be the player they were pre injury. Gmen0820 and I and others werent expecting anything really from Smith when he was on Philly. I wanted to resign him this past offseason tho bc he's on year 2 and i believed he was gonna look like his old self. And from what I've read, he has. And he's become Bradfords fav target along Amendola from wha I've read. And I also partly agree that smith didnt have a physical quality that made him stand out, but he was an excellent route runner who could get open. yeah, eli may have made him better, but smith also helped eli out a ton too.

now with boss, i agree for the most part again, but oakland cut him bc they had a new regime (GM, HC). They wanted young, healthy, players that fit their mold. I dont think they cut him bc Boss sucked, bc if that was the case I dont think KC woulda been all over it. Now, I believe Eli did make Boss look much better than he was perhaps, but again Boss also climbed the ladder for eli many a time and sacrficed his body for the team. guy was a class giant who made a huge play, longest of SB 42.

With MM, he had his flaws. I agree. But despite that, he did have that game changing quality; speed/quickness. he could score from anywhere, anytime. he would have scored more too if he was more consistent and ran the proper routes 100% or close to.

That said, I believe Eli did help make all of them better. Thats what a great QB does. But those guys also repaid imo, and helped eli out a ton too.

Veteran
    Injuries...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    w/o reading it fully, Smith is a starting WR for the Rams I believe, and Boss caught a TD for KC week 1.
    Google their last years production. Boss played so bad he was cut and smith had 11 catches. As the number 1 receiver last week smith had 1 catch for 16 yards.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 09-13-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Both players have had severe injuries. Smith's knee fell apart and Boss's concussions became chronic. Its hard to say "eli" made them because of that.

Althogh I do think Eli has made some average players look great

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    this is an interesting post. I agree with parts of it, but theres parts I disagree.
    For example, Smith had that knee injury. I think the whole contract issue is why he rushed back. Gmen0820 has correctly explained numerously that with the type of injury Smith had, it takes 99% of the nfl players 2 years to be the player they were pre injury. Gmen0820 and I and others werent expecting anything really from Smith when he was on Philly. I wanted to resign him this past offseason tho bc he's on year 2 and i believed he was gonna look like his old self. And from what I've read, he has. And he's become Bradfords fav target along Amendola from wha I've read. And I also partly agree that smith didnt have a physical quality that made him stand out, but he was an excellent route runner who could get open. yeah, eli may have made him better, but smith also helped eli out a ton too.

now with boss, i agree for the most part again, but oakland cut him bc they had a new regime (GM, HC). They wanted young, healthy, players that fit their mold. I dont think they cut him bc Boss sucked, bc if that was the case I dont think KC woulda been all over it. Now, I believe Eli did make Boss look much better than he was perhaps, but again Boss also climbed the ladder for eli many a time and sacrficed his body for the team. guy was a class giant who made a huge play, longest of SB 42.

With MM, he had his flaws. I agree. But despite that, he did have that game changing quality; speed/quickness. he could score from anywhere, anytime. he would have scored more too if he was more consistent and ran the proper routes 100% or close to.

That said, I believe Eli did help make all of them better. Thats what a great QB does. But those guys also repaid imo, and helped eli out a ton too.
    They're all average. Thats my only point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    Google their last years production. Boss played so bad he was cut and smith had 11 catches. As the number 1 receiver last week smith had 1 catch for 16 yards.
    I think Boss had a TD last week, but I don't disagree that he is an average player.

Great QBs make great recievers...
    Its not a secret. Look at the careers of Brady and Peyton for example....

Not really a new thing at all...
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I agree that Manningham falls into the same category as Smith and Boss (although I consider Smith to be a better receiver than you are giving him credit for).

The Manningham nostalgia is a bit much to take ... great catch in the Superbowl and he stepped up a couple of times during the season due to injuries and coverages, but people are quick to forget how he would run out of bounds accidentally on go routes and drop bread basket passes. Not to mention that he's as dumb as a box of rocks.

Hixon is a much better receiver than Manningham in all phases of the game. His only detriment has been the injury bug ... but when he's on the field, we're a better team.

+ Reply to Thread