+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hixon*

Quote Originally Posted by # Greg Schiano View Post
    Wow... I wish they were both in Tampa.
    Getting old . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Hixon is faster than MM.

Hixon has more reliable hands (that's not to say he doesn't have his share of drops but nowhere near the amount MM had).

Hixon runs a better route.

Hixon is more versatile.

The only reason we know MM's name is because Hixon can't stay on the field. To that extent, we might miss MM (and it's a big point to make given our (and Hixon's) injury history).
    i know 40 times and all that j***, in my opinion, MM looks faster than Hixon on the field during play. That could very well be bc my memory is skewed bc its been a while since hixon has been healthy for a period of time. but at this moment, theres no way anyones gonna tell me and convince me that hixon is faster than MM. If and when Hixon has those kinds of big play td's for me to compare with what I saw when MM had a big play td. but i can respect if u feel differently, u very well may be right and hixon is faster than MM, i just cant say that.

edit- remember, dont confuse IS with WAS. Hixon WAS faster than MM (altho I believe MM's quickness also was an elite quality), i dunno if theres enough actual game time to be able to say Hixon IS faster than MM.
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 09-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Its funny how the concensus now is that Boss is average when I know a bunch of you were crying when we didn't resign him.

But we don't really need to state that Steve Smith and Kevin Boss are average. Boss would have never seen the light of day if Shockey didn't get hurt and Steve Smith wouldn't have seen a pro bowl if Plaxico hadn't shot himself.

he has that "special" tangent or quality that seperated him from your """AVG TO GOOD"" wr's.
    Wait, are going trying to say manninham was great?

his speed/quickness made him a literal threat to score from anywhere on the field at any time
    Do you pay close attention or watch other teams besides the Giants? (serious question) Because what you just said pretty much describes the average fast receiver in the NFL. The raiders have a bunch of speed threats. But they are all average. Most teams have those types of players.

If you want, google the rosters of all the teams in the NFL. You will find a lot of players with manninham's skill set. The first person that comes to mind is Emmanuel Sanders #88 steelers. He is the 3rd guy there and is alot faster and quicker than mario manninham. Mario is average. He made some good plays for us but the next guy will step up.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 09-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.

i watch plenty of football you know that. Im not saying MM is great, I'm saying he had a great quality. his speed/quickness was pretty special imho, he was an electric player at Michigan, and he was certainly a big play threat for us. Sure, plenty of teams have deep threats. But MM lead the NFL a couple seasons ago with YPC avg, even more than DJax.
    MM was no slouch fellas. Neither was Smith. Boss I can concede. I can also concede that Eli did elevate their play, but I can also concede they helped Eli elevate his play too. And MM certainly had his flaws, and they reared their ugly head at the worst times, but he also had the again, imo, special blend of speed/quickness/and athleticism. Think about it this way, we all know MM isnt a consistent route runner, and has his share of flaws/mistakes. Yet, he was very successful at the NFL level, why? His speed/quickness/athleticism. certainly aint his mind, or precise route running, or special physical stature...see what I mean?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    but he also had the again, imo, special blend of speed/quickness/and athleticism.
    O rly?

There's plenty of gazelles in the NFL bro. MM wasn't a rare talent like a Calvin Johnson or (young) Randy Moss etc.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    Think about it this way, we all know MM isnt a consistent route runner, and has his share of flaws/mistakes. Yet, he was very successful at the NFL level, why? His speed/quickness/athleticism. certainly aint his mind, or precise route running, or special physical stature...see what I mean?
    Consistency was his downfall. One down he runs a good route, the next down he runs a lazy route. The go route, for example, numerous times he would run it too wide which only helps the CB because he has little room left to work with. Chris Collinsworth explained it during a game. Other times he had complete mental lapses in which it cost us an interception. The last Seattle game comes to mind, and also last years regular season 49ers game.

Before you continue to glorify him, why not wait and see if anyone else can put up 500+ yards from the 3rd WR position this year.

Some of you guys are too quick to forget. Steve Smith did one hell of a job while he was here.

He was one of the best receivers in the NFL in 2009 and set the franchise record for most receptions in a season. He was in the same form in 2010 until his injury. Everyone here loved him.

I don't remember a single poster here saying that he was anything less than elite until he left the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I agree that Manningham falls into the same category as Smith and Boss (although I consider Smith to be a better receiver than you are giving him credit for).

The Manningham nostalgia is a bit much to take ... great catch in the Superbowl and he stepped up a couple of times during the season due to injuries and coverages, but people are quick to forget how he would run out of bounds accidentally on go routes and drop bread basket passes. Not to mention that he's as dumb as a box of rocks.

Hixon is a much better receiver than Manningham in all phases of the game. His only detriment has been the injury bug ... but when he's on the field, we're a better team.
    Hixon is not a better WR then manningham. When manningham was a starter he had almost a 1000 yard season...When Hixon was a starter ....he caused manningham and nicks to get drated. Hixon has some talent but really was not a big play guy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    O rly?

There's plenty of gazelles in the NFL bro. MM wasn't a rare talent like a Calvin Johnson or (young) Randy Moss etc.

Consistency was his downfall. One down he runs a good route, the next down he runs a lazy route. The go route, for example, numerous times he would run it too wide which only helps the CB because he has little room left to work with. Chris Collinsworth explained it during a game. Other times he had complete mental lapses in which it cost us an interception. The last Seattle game comes to mind, and also last years regular season 49ers game.

Before you continue to glorify him, why not wait and see if anyone else can put up 500+ yards from the 3rd WR position this year.
    lol whose glorifying him at all? im merely respecting what was a good giants wr who had great speed/quickness/and athleticism. and imo the offense was more dangerous with mm opposed to hixon. that doesnt mean i think hixon sucks, or that randle/jj/barden cant step up and provide that nightmare trio we had when MM was here...