+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Note About the Replacement Refs

One thing I've noticed about the refs in the Giants game (and throughout Week 1 and last night) is that they seem to be erring on the side of caution and leaving the flags in their pockets.

TONS of non-calls to me is the biggest difference between them and the regular refs.

I also noticed that JPP got away with a fairly obvious head slap in the game last Wednesday. If the replacement refs aren't going to call holding as closely, then I hope the Giants defensive line takes advantage of the non-calls and tests the waters in what they can get away with.

Accordingly in the game last Wednesday, the Cowboys DBs were mugging our receivers. Our DBs were not doing that to them. Last year, they would have been called on at least a half dozen illegal contacts and defensive holds. I really hope the Giants DBs this week get more physical. If we're stuck with doe-eyed replacement refs, we might as well abuse the situation.

Rob Ryan likely TOLD his defense to play the gray area. Buddy Ryan was notorious for it. I'ts not cheating, but it's close.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Let them play the game. I have heard that the replacement officials heavily favor home teams though. Some of the Panther's fans brought up the descrepancy after week 1 and it was telling.

RickGosselinDMN
    Replacement refs seemed affected by crowd -- calling 26 more penalties against the road teams (104) than the home teams (78) thus far.

RickGosselinDMN

@lunger24 Last year there was a 66-penalty difference for the entire season between home and road, an average of almost 4 per week.
    Sincerely,
    Greg Schiano
    Head Coach, Tampa

i think the NFL should keep the old refs locked out and simply start interviewing new refs and if a few old refs want to be scabs (hate to go there, but), then they can be interviewed for jobs as FULL TIME OFFICIALS, b/c that is what is needed

also, i like less flags, now that doesn't mean that players won't start to push it and force more flags or force bad missed calls, so it's something to watch week to week now, but the old refs threw way too many flags ... think about the horrible holding call on Boothe in the Super Bowl ... i dont miss that
    Apologize to Melo 5

We carp about the replacement refs, but who should we really be pointing fingers at?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan
    We carp about the replacement refs, but who should we really be pointing fingers at?
    Ron Winters, the worst referee of all time.
    Sincerely,
    Greg Schiano
    Head Coach, Tampa

Veteran
    After watching the GB game they seem to be finally starting to catch on.

And by that I mean ruling any questionable call in the favor of the NFL's darlings as well as overturning or not overturning extremely basic replay reviews.

Like I said, they're starting to catch on. Bravo guys.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    One thing I've noticed about the refs in the Giants game (and throughout Week 1 and last night) is that they seem to be erring on the side of caution and leaving the flags in their pockets.

TONS of non-calls to me is the biggest difference between them and the regular refs.

I also noticed that JPP got away with a fairly obvious head slap in the game last Wednesday. If the replacement refs aren't going to call holding as closely, then I hope the Giants defensive line takes advantage of the non-calls and tests the waters in what they can get away with.

Accordingly in the game last Wednesday, the Cowboys DBs were mugging our receivers. Our DBs were not doing that to them. Last year, they would have been called on at least a half dozen illegal contacts and defensive holds. I really hope the Giants DBs this week get more physical. If we're stuck with doe-eyed replacement refs, we might as well abuse the situation.
    I agree, I noticed this myself as well. So many non-calls but they don't seem to be bias so at least it is fair in that respect. Our CBs and WRs need to get more physical at the LOS if they are going to continue to call the games like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    I agree, I noticed this myself as well. So many non-calls but they don't seem to be bias so at least it is fair in that respect. Our CBs and WRs need to get more physical at the LOS if they are going to continue to call the games like this.
    This is exactly it. They're allowing for a more physical game to happen based on their calls and non-calls, but they're not Bill Leavy, and in my book that's a dramatic improvement. The union refs may be starting to worry if the replacements get their act together...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Not carping ... just noting the trend and hoping we take advantage of it.

Sort of like a pitcher taking advantage of an umpire that's allowing a big strike zone.