+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2011 - GAMEDAY - 7:54 A.M.

HERE NOW THE NEWS

THE DATA WILL UPDATE THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND SHOW THE UPDATE TIME IN THE HEADER.

THERE IT WENT, GIANTS, THERE IT WENT!!

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS SHO DIFFICULTY OF 2-,INUTE OFFENSE AS REDSKINS' PASS RUSH CAUSES TROUBLE IN LOSS

Excerpt: "For those who say the Giants run the
    2-minute offense so well they should run it all game long, David Diehl has a
    reason why it’s not feasible.

Diehl had to face Redskins pass rusher Brian Orakpo on every play, thus
    giving the two-time Pro Bowl selection a bunch of chances to get near Eli
    Manning.

Orakpo did just that at a key moment in the Redskins’ 23-10 victory over the
    Giants yesterday when he got the edge on Diehl on fourth-and-goal from the 2.
    Diehl grabbed Orakpo around the neck, which the officials ruled was a holding
    penalty to negate a touchdown pass from Manning to Hakeem Nicks that could’ve
    made it a 13-point game with 9:01 to play.

“I had him locked up. He ripped underneath and threw his arms up like he
    usually does, and he got the call,” Diehl said. “You just keep fighting. We ran
    a quarter-and-a-half of 2-minute drill and one-on-one pass rushes up against an
    All-Pro. He’s going to make a play. On that one, he did.”

After Diehl’s penalty, which followed a replay reversal of a touchdown by
    D.J. Ware, Manning was sacked on the next play by Ryan Kerrigan, who beat right
    tackle Kareem McKenzie, to end any comeback hopes.

The loss leaves the Giants needing to pick up a game on the Cowboys over the
    final two weeks of the season.

“We understand it’s about us taking care of our business,” Diehl said. “We
    can’t sit here and say we coulda, woulda, shoulda. We need to win these next two
    games, hands down, and we know how important this one against the Jets is this
    Saturday.” Read more...

GIANTS' ROOKIE PRINCE AMUKAMARA STRUGGLES IN LOSS TO REDSKINS

Excerpt: "The past few weeks have been a blur, to say the least, for Prince Amukamara.

After not having the luxury of offseason workouts with his team because of
    the lockout, missing the entire preseason and the first nine games of the
    regular season with a broken foot, the rookie cornerback was dropped into the
    heat of a playoff race five weeks ago. And as a first-round pick on a team
    decimated by injuries in the secondary, expectations were high regardless of the
    circumstances.

It’s safe to say, especially after his performance in the Giants’ 23-10 loss to the Washington
    Redskins, that he hasn’t played up to his and the team’s expectations.

Sunday, Amukamara was targeted early and often by Redskins quarterback Rex
    Grossman, who found success exploiting the rookie. So much so that the coaching
    staff told Amukamara at halftime that “they were going with a different package”
    — effectively benching him.

“I will look at the tape, but it seemed like they threw the ball in that
    direction and we were not having a lot of success,” Coughlin said. “It wasn’t
    just him; it wasn’t just Prince.” Read more...

GIANTS STRUGGLE WITH SUN IN DEFLATING LOSS TO REDSKINS

Excerpt: "Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks had a step on Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall,
    and as he looked up at Eli Manning’s perfectly thrown pass, Nicks and the rest
    of the stadium figured it would be another long touchdown in a lengthy list of
    big gains for the Giants this
    season.

But Nicks had one last, distant obstacle Sunday. He saw the ball perfectly
    until it reached its peak, where he lost it in the sun for just a split second.
    That was enough to change the outcome of the play, and perhaps the game
    entirely.

The ball came in high down the middle of the field and Nicks, unable to
    adjust quickly enough, had the pigskin ricochet off his face mask. It was a rare
    drop for one of the league’s most reliable targets. And instead of a 7-3 Giants
    lead midway through the first quarter, the Giants were forced to punt after
    failing to convert on the third-and-6.

“The thing with those passes is you know the sun’s going to play a factor,”
    Nicks said after the Giants’ 23-10 loss at MetLife Stadium. “You just got to try
    to look through it. It was a situation that it was there then it disappeared for
    a slight second and then it came back and I had bad hand placement. My hands was
    low; the ball came high at my face mask. I reacted a little late.”

Not many times do you see a football game so affected by the sun — it’s far
    more common in baseball — but coach Tom Coughlin said receiver Victor Cruz also
    had trouble with the sun on the Giants’ next drive." Read more...

YOU GRADE 'EM: GIANTS VS. REDSKINS

GIANTS FALL FLAT IN LOPSIDED LOSS TO REDSKINS

"The Giants knew a loss to the last-place Redskins would be a costly setback
    in their attempt to secure a postseason berth. They just didn’t play like
    it.

Washington thoroughly dominated the Giants (7-7) in front of an astonished
    MetLife Stadium crowd, beating the hosts 23-10 and debilitating their playoff
    chances in the process. The victory also gave the Redskins (5-9) the season
    sweep.

Two of the Redskins’ first three drives began with Rex Grossman
    interceptions, but the Giants couldn’t take advantage with points after either
    turnover and the inability to score snowballed into the demoralizing loss.

On offense, Eli Manning didn’t complete a pass until his seventh attempt and
    Hakeem Nicks dropped three passes, two of which would’ve resulted in touchdowns.
    And after averaging 32 points per game in their last three contests, the Giants
    managed just ten points – seven of which came in garbage time at the end of the
    fourth quarter -- shooting themselves in the foot with penalties, drops and the
    inability to protect Manning in crucial situations.

Defensively, Jason Pierre-Paul was a bright spot once again, but confusion in
    the secondary continued and rookie cornerback Prince Amukamara was victimized on
    a few plays.

In all, it was a gloomy day for the Giants, who now need to win the last two
    games of the season in order to advance to the postseason."

##

D'ALESSANDRO: GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL RELUCTANT RISING STAR IN NFL

Excerpt: "As he looks back on it now, Herbie Pierre-Paul estimates the overhang of the
    roof to be “probably 10 or 11” feet above the ground on their apartment at
    Golden Acres in Pompano Beach, Fla.

So naturally, his older brother would grab the gutter, swing his legs up to
    the roof in one easy motion, turn his back to his audience and stretch out his
    arms like some demented maestro, and take a quick glance around to see whether
    any of the adults were coming down 18th Drive.

Then Jason Pierre-Paul would launch his body into the air, kick his feet back
    over his head and nail the landing.

“Well, Jason, he’s just a beast,” said Herbie Pierre-Paul. “Really, it’s just
    Jason thinking he can do just about anything athletically.”

Ten years later, we can see the same agility when Jason Pierre-Paul applies
    hard measures and malice to people who carry footballs, the same fast twitch
    that makes him explode like a 280-pound bear trap, the same learning curve that
    helped him evolve from a neophyte who didn’t even understand the term “defense”
    to a potential NFL All-Pro. In about 60 months.

Too often we tend to reduce NFL players to caricatures, if only because there
    are so many of them and too little time to learn their stories before they are
    gone.

But since his arrival in the Meadowlands last year, the same cliché is
    continually applied to the Giants
    defensive end and reigning NFC
    Defensive Player of the Week
    : freak. It is not a term that fazes or insults
    him.

It is what it is, what he is: a kid who doesn’t think twice about jumping off
    rooftops backwards.

“If someone told me it would be like this five years ago, I’d tell them they
    lie, you know?” said Pierre-Paul, who leads the Giants with 12½ sacks heading
    into today’s game against the Redskins. “I didn’t think of football growing up.
    This wasn’t my career, something I chose. It was something I was picked in.”

And it all happened, Pierre-Paul explains, because he had two high school
    coaches who were relentless nags, and two siblings who knew how to keep a secret
    from a mother who couldn’t understand what sports could do for a family that had
    only known hardship.

A PLAYER, PERIOD

There remains a dispute as to who spotted him first. Around Deerfield Beach
    High, near Fort Lauderdale, they had tagged him New Kid on Crutches during the
    early part of the 2004-05 school year, but by spring, the 16-year-old was
    playing on the outdoor basketball courts during lunch hour and, at 6-3 and 205
    pounds, looked like a man against boys.

Defensive coordinator Manny Martin saw a defensive end. Offensive coordinator
    Matt Lewis saw a tight end. Head coach Greg Minnis saw a player, period.

“He was recovering from a broken leg,” Martin said, “so getting him on the
    field was out of the question that year. But that didn’t stop us from talking
    about him. Coach Lewis’ class was across the hall from mine, and we were saying,
    ‘We’ve got to get him on the field next year.’
    “So his junior year comes,
    and he was in my geometry class. And I said, ‘Boy, you planning on passing class
    this year? Then you better get on the football field.’ He said he had to work
    and help out his mom.”

“I just wasn’t into it,” Pierre-Paul said. “I was a basketball player. And my
    mother even wanted me to quit, because I hurt my leg. But I didn’t know anything
    about football — from Pee-Wee on up, my friends would play and I would never go
    with them.”
    Every fall weekend throughout their childhood, Herbie Pierre-Paul
    said that he never missed a Dolphins game on TV, “but not once did Jason ever
    watch it with me. Not once.”

By October 2005, Minnis would no longer wait.

“Every day, Coach Minnis would follow me around, saying, ‘We need you for
    football, play some D for us,’?” Pierre-Paul said. “And I’d say, ‘Yeah, OK, I’m
    coming, I’m coming …’?”

The truth was, he had no plan at all to appease the coach.

“One day I had a car at school, and someone showed him where I parked.
    (Minnis) was waiting there for me,” Pierre-Paul said. “He grabbed me and said,
    ‘You’re coming with me today.’ So I’m thinking, ‘Okay, he came all this way to
    talk me into it, let me see what he’s talking about. And I tried it.”

Minnis remembers a tall and sculpted boy, a few months shy of 17, with his
    head half-****ed to the side and his face impassive, but his skepticism showing
    through clearly.

In his very first drill — when Pierre-Paul lined up against a senior tackle
    and a junior tight end, and blasted past the human barrier with astonishing ease
    — Minnis and Martin mouthed the same words at the same moment: My God, this kid
    is an athlete.

Minnis recalled: “We just said, ‘Pin your ears back and go after the ball —
    we’ll worry about technique later.’?”

Actually, there was more to worry about.

“There was no way he’d be able to talk my mom into football, so he just
    didn’t tell her,” said Pierre-Paul’s older sister, Nadie Therlonge. “She was
    being mom, she didn’t want him hurt, so she was very overprotective, very
    strict.”

“I told my brother and sister, but I hid it from my mother for most of the
    year,” Pierre-Paul said. “But she was like, ‘Why you home from school so late?’
    And I’d tell her I was studying, getting homework done.

“Finally, I had to tell her it was homecoming game, and she needed to come.
    That took awhile for her to accept that.” Read more...

GIANTS' GAMEDAY: GIANTS HOST WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Excerpt: "Giants (7-6) vs. Washington
    Redskins (4-9)

Week 15
    Sunday, 1 p.m.
    MetLife Stadium, East
    Rutherford
    TV: Fox
    Radio: WFAN 660-AM

THIS WEEK’S GAME REVOLVES AROUND

The Giants’ run defense

Plenty has been made about the Giants’ troubles against the pass — and
    rightfully so. Tony Romo torched the Giants to the point where he had the
    highest quarterback rating for a losing quarterback in the modern era. But he
    was aided by an effective run game that racked up 139 yards on the ground, 106
    by backup Felix Jones. It was the ninth time in the past 11 games that the
    Giants allowed over 100 yards rushing after holding their first two opponents,
    including the Redskins, to less than 80. The Giants now rank 22nd in the NFL
    against the run, and will need to turn it around against a
    run-first Redskins offense
    led by Roy Helu that has rushed for 100-plus
    yards each of its previous three games. It’s a simple gameplan for the Giants:
    stop the run and force Rex Grossman to beat them again.

THE SAVVY FAN IS WATCHING …
    How the
    Redskins account for Jason Pierre-Paul

Following his monster performance in last week’s win
    over the Dallas Cowboys
    , Jason Pierre-Paul may be the last person the
    Redskins want to see Sunday. The Redskins lost starting left tackle Trent
    Williams and tight end Fred Davis before last week for the remainder of the
    season after the NFL suspended the two for repeatedly failing the NFL’s drug
    policy. Washington also played without right tackle Jammal Brown, who didn’t
    practice all week and is likely out Sunday. Expect Washington to double-team
    Pierre-Paul or at least bring a second person to chip block him on most plays.

WHAT THE REDSKINS DON’T WANT THE GIANTS TO
    KNOW

1. The Redskins struggle mightily in December
    Since Joe
    Gibbs departed Washington after his second stint following the 2007 season — the
    last time the franchise advanced to the postseason — the Redskins have gone a
    combined 3-13 in December; only St. Louis has a worse record over the course of
    the four seasons. Not surprisingly, the club has failed to make the playoffs
    since 2007. This season they were out of the mix by Thanksgiving and began
    December with two losses. Such was the case in 2009 as well, but in 2008 and
    2010 – Mike Shanahan’s first season at the helm — the Redskins played their way
    out of contention. For all the talk about the Giants’ second-half collapses,
    which is warranted, the Redskins have been worse down the stretch in recent
    years.

2. How the Redskins will attempt to slow down Eli
    Manning

The Patriots, the Redskins opponent last week, are very
    similar to the Giants at this juncture in the season. Both teams rely on the
    passing game led by an MVP-caliber quarterback — and Tom Brady had his way last
    week in the Redskins’ 34-27 loss. But Eli Manning and the Giants didn’t find
    success in the teams’ first meeting to open the season. In that game, Manning
    threw for 268 yards but completed only 56 percent of his passes, was sacked four
    times and threw a costly interception rookie Ryan Kerrigan returned for a
    touchdown. Led by Kerrigan and Pro Bowler Brian Orakpo rushing the pass on the
    outside, the Redskins rank 13th in the NFL against the pass and will look to
    test the Giants’ patchwork offensive line and be in Manning’s face all game.

3. How the Redskins will try to establish the run
    In the
    teams’ first meeting to open the season on Sept. 11, the Redskins were able to
    come out on top despite not being able to establish an effective run game.
    Instead, the Redskins were fueled by a huge performance by Rex Grossman. But
    chances are Grossman will need some help on the ground to keep up with a Giants
    offense that has been firing on all cylinders. Though the Redskins rank only
    ahead of the Giants in rushing league-wide, they’ve had three straight 100-yard
    games on the ground.

POSITION BREAKDOWNS

Offensive line
    Usually injuries are a recipe for disaster
    for an offensive line, but the Giants have played better since injuries have
    decimated the line.
    Edge: Giants

Defensive line
    Justin who? Osi who? Jason Pierre-Paul has
    been the Giants’ MVP and making fans forget about the other elite pass rusher on
    the line.
    Edge: Giants

Linebackers
    The Redskins rank 10th in the NFL in total
    defense and the linebacker unit, led by veteran London Fletcher and rookie Ryan
    Kerrigan, is the backbone.
    Edge: Redskins

Secondary
    After watching the Giants secondary fall apart
    last week and the confusion over why throughout the week, it’s fair to say the
    unit is in disarray.
    Edge: Redskins

Special teams
    Tom Coughlin was singing Lawrence Tynes’
    praises this week for, of all things, the number of touchbacks he has kicked
    this season.
    Edge: Giants" Read more...

GIANTS' ELI MANNING A MASTER OF KEEPING CONTROL, THINKING QUICKLY AS THE PLAY CLOCK RUNS DOWN

":40

It all begins with Eli Manning, in large part, remembering to forget.

The good, but especially the bad.

Early in his career, he often spent the first few seconds after a play
    “looking for worms.” That’s how former Giants quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer put
    it. It meant Manning lowered his head in dismay after an incompletion, a drop or
    a break that didn’t go in his favor.

But that play’s over. The next one begins as soon as the 40-second play clock
    starts ticking down.

Time to move on to the next one. Time’s a wastin’.

“That’s important,” Manning said the other day. “As soon as you can forget
    about it — good, bad or indifferent — that next play comes in and you’re totally
    focused on the circumstances and how to do your assignment at the highest level
    on the next play.

“That’s always a mind-set. I don’t think I was (ever) bad about it.”

Much as the outcome of a football game is determined from snap to whistle,
    the time between plays might be more important.

Sunday, while viewers at home are watching multi-angle replays or highlights
    during the Giants’ matchup against the Washington Redskins, a chess match will
    be playing out at MetLife Stadium.

Personnel packages are changed, plays are called, spats between players run
    their course quickly, receivers plead for the ball, audibles are called, players
    go in motion and defenses disguise what they’re doing until moments before the
    ball is snapped to start another chaotic 5 to 10 seconds.

In a game of brute strength, it’s a battle of the minds.

And Manning often wins it.

“He’s looking at who’s coming into the game, seeing what defense is in,
    thinking about what play it is, what previous looks to that formation the
    defense has shown and what he thinks they’re going to do,” tight end Jake
    Ballard said.

“Eli’s one of the smartest quarterbacks in the league. It’s crazy how much
    stuff he thinks about as it’s going on.”

:33

With 5:36 left in last Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys, Manning
    tried to kick-start a 12-point comeback with a throw to Victor Cruz. Only Cruz
    couldn’t decide whether to run inside or outside of cornerback Orlando
    Scandrick.

Cruz eventually broke outside. By that time, Manning was under pressure and
    throwing off his back foot to the inside, incomplete and between three
    defenders.

NBC cameras caught Manning’s disappointed reaction but then cut away. This
    wasn’t a looking-for-worms relapse; it was a brief teaching moment.

“It was an iffy route,” Cruz said. “He’s like, ‘You just have to pick a side
    quickly. Pick a route and just go.’”

That’s all the time Manning has to instruct during games.

“It was that quick, right back in the huddle,” Cruz said, “and we went on to
    the next one.”

:30

On his way back to the huddle, Hakeem Nicks reads Manning’s body language to
    see if he should be in a rush, either because it’s hurry-up-offense time, the
    opposing team is mulling a replay challenge or Manning has begun to call the
    next play.

If Nicks reads the lips of some players, he’ll see words unprintable
    here.

“Some guys on this team — and I’m not mentioning any names — will be
    trash-talking,” Ballard said.

He gestured over his shoulder, seemingly in the direction of Brandon Jacobs’
    locker.

“No, over there,” he clarified, pointing to the offensive line’s row of
    lockers, where notoriously chippy guard Chris Snee was standing.

“Kareem (McKenzie) had to yell during the Cowboys game,” Ballard continued,
    though he didn’t specify it was Snee. “‘Get back in the huddle! What are you
    doing? Get back over here!’”

Sometimes, it’s between teammates, such as a brief spat between Ahmad
    Bradshaw and Will Beatty after Beatty missed a block against the Seahawks
    earlier this year.

“You say it, get it off your chest,” Ballard said, “and then it’s on to the
    next one.”

:25

While offensive coordinator of the Bills in 2003, Kevin Gilbride called a
    “double seam,” meaning two vertical routes up the middle of the field. Only one
    problem: he forgot to send in the “Detroit” personnel package with two tight
    ends.

In the slot was 34-year-old fullback Sam Gash — not exactly the downfield
    threat Gilbride wanted.

“He’s got a neck roll and everything else,” Gilbride said, referring to
    Gash’s bulky equipment. “I’m thinking, ‘Oh no!’ And the ball hit him in the
    chest. He was wide open. I said, ‘Oh God, I got away with that.’”

Help from above ensures the play-caller doesn’t screw up more often.

By this point on the play clock, Gilbride has been reminded in his headset
    (by either quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan or his son, Kevin Gilbride Jr., the
    offensive quality control coach, both of whom are up in the coaches’ box) of the
    down and distance, the defensive personnel on the field and on which hash mark
    the ball rests.

This information allows him to better navigate his play sheet, which is
    organized by situations and play type. There are 96 plays on the front, 50 on
    the back and an extra sheet for the 2-minute drill.

Meanwhile, Gilbride is thinking about a lot more than just whether to run or
    pass.

“Is it a pressure? Is it coverage?” he said, just getting warmed up. “Do we
    have to alleviate some challenges the offensive line are facing? Do we have to
    run, even though I’m not necessarily going get 8 yards, so when we do pass
    they’re playing it differently?

“Can (Manning) hear? Can we audible? Can those guys outside hear the snap
    count? Maybe it’s a play normally we can run, but we can’t today.”

Think about all of that the next time you question the play calls.

“It’s not that hard to say, ‘They’re in this, so this will be good,’”
    Gilbride said. “But is it coming up that time and, even though you know what to
    call, can your guys do it?

“You’re guessing.”

If you’re wrong, maybe you’ll get lucky. If not, it’s on to the next one.

:15

Sometimes Manning does the guessing. That’s what happens when Gilbride
    doesn’t push the button before speaking into the headset that has a wireless
    connection into Manning’s helmet.

Or when equipment malfunctions. Or when Manning can’t hear in a noisy
    opposing stadium. Or when the call doesn’t get to Manning before the signal is —
    by rule — cut off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

“You call your own play,” Manning said. “One we can run real quick.”

How does Manning do? A Gilbride grumble suggests not so well.

“He does a better job of executing,” Gilbride said. “Let’s put it that
    way.”

There are times Gilbride intentionally gives Manning free rein when he’ll
    allow Manning to call the route for the “X” receiver (usually Nicks). This
    happens when there are three receivers to one side and Nicks is alone on the
    other (a “3-by-1” set) because his route doesn’t affect another player.

Nicks said he’s honest with Manning and isn’t one to say he was open when a
    ball isn’t thrown his way.

“I’m always open,” Nicks said with a grin. “Eli knows that.”

:12

When center Kevin Boothe approaches the line of scrimmage, he’s never caught
    off-guard by the opposing personnel facing him. Offensive linemen are on the
    field for every play, so Boothe uses the time the Giants change players to turn
    around and see how the defense reacts.

“Is it three down (linemen) or four down?” said Boothe, the Giants’ center
    since the injured David Baas has been out. “Just to get a head start on what
    we’ll be facing.”

Manning now takes a look. This is when he can be heard yelling a few
    checks:

•?“Four down, set!” (Four down linemen. This determines how a play is
    blocked.)

•?“Fifty-nine’s the Mike!” (No. 59 is identified by Manning as the middle
    linebacker. This also determines how a running play or blitz pickup is blocked
    and which receivers must run “hot” routes.)

• “Opposite!” (Run the play the other way than what was called.)

• “Easy, easy.” Like a military order, that last one means everybody relax,
    the snap count is stopping so Manning can call an audible.

The original play isn’t going to work. So it’s on to the next one.

:08

This is where Manning is at his best. Gilbride says all the time that Manning
    gets the Giants into the right plays based on what he sees from the defense.

Case in point: the successful 2-point conversions in each of the past two
    games that were changed from passes to runs. The Packers left the middle of the
    line uncovered, while the Cowboys had five defensive backs on three receivers,
    leaving only six players in the box.

There was even a time earlier this season when Manning called a pass play in
    the huddle and changed it to a run as the offense was walking to the line.

They got the first down.

“It’s a testament to how well we know our offense he can do something like
    that,” Cruz said. “The biggest key is hoping everybody heard it right and we’re
    all on the same page.”

Of course, the defense can hear, too. Though Boothe underestimates their
    ability to decode even basic checks, there was Redskins rookie Ryan Kerrigan’s
    leaping up to bat and intercept a pass he knew was coming in Week 1 when Manning
    yelled “Rocket!” to signify a “rocket” screen.

“You’re audibling for a reason,” Boothe said. “It’s a gamble.”

Manning didn’t always know when to fold ’em.

“You’re so nervous about getting it right, you’re maybe looking for things
    that aren’t there, you’re panicking where you might check,” Manning said of his
    younger self. “Whereas now, I’ve kind of accepted sometimes, ‘They might get me
    on this. Just know what a possible answer is or what you can do.’

“I’m a little more comfortable being wrong, maybe.”

Manning has learned the seven players closest to him — the ones up front
    showing blitz or acting like they’re going to drop off — aren’t the best
    indicators.

“You look at the four who aren’t up there — a certain alignment, the position
    of the corner,” Manning said. “They usually give it away.”

:03, :02, :01?

This has all been interesting and informative. But it’s time to play some
    football again.

Manning hasn’t always been so quick to recognize that. Over the previous four
    seasons, the Giants had a total of 22 delay-of-game penalties. This year, they
    have only three.

“Omaha! Omaha!” Manning yells.

This means snap on the next sound.

Sometimes he needs a little nudge.

“Snap the ball,” Boothe said when asked what he’ll tell Manning at this
    point. “All you have to do is look at the clock and snap the ball.”

Yep, and pretty soon it’s on to the next one.?"

NY DAILY NEWS

GIANTS FALL TO REDSKINS AT HOMES, 23 - 10, ELI MANNING INTERCEPTED THREE TIMES

Excerpt: "REDSKINS
    23, GIANTS 10

There was a simple reason why the Giants fell
    flat on their faces in such a critical game and again pushed themselves to the
    brink of elimination. It came down to one thing, according to Antrel
    Rolle

And for emphasis, he pointed straight to his chest.

“If
    you don’t got it in the heart, I don’t know,” Rolle said. “Washington, they’re
    not a bad team at all. But we are 10 times better than what we showed out there
    on the field today.”

PHOTOS: GIANTS CRUSHED BY
    REDSKINS

Maybe the Giants are better, but it doesn’t matter
    after their heartless, 23-10 loss to the already-eliminated Redskins at the
    Meadowlands on Sunday afternoon. It was a “hurtful loss,” said Rolle, who also
    ripped into some of his teammates for sitting out practices during the week with
    minor injuries. Justin Tuck added that
    the loss left him “a little bit embarrassed.”

It also left the Giants
    (7-7) facing the possibility that they could be eliminated from playoff
    contention on Christmas Eve.

The Giants still control their destiny — if
    they win their final two games they are the NFC East champs — but after the
    stinker of an effort they gave against Washington (5-9) that hardly seems
    encouraging. Their offense self-destructed for its worst performance of the
    season. Eli Manning, who has
    been red-hot all year, threw three interceptions.

And while the Giants
    did pick off two Rex Grossman passes,
    they gave up 123 rushing yards and let the Redskins hold the ball for 35
    minutes. They felt they came out playing with fire and intensity, but by the
    time the Redskins took a 10-0 lead on a 20-yard pass from Grossman to Santana Moss early in
    the second quarter, they could sense it all slipping away.

“I’m very
    disappointed in how we played,” said Tom Coughlin. “I told
    the players that I just expected to see more. I expected to see quality, quality
    execution and really, quite frankly, we didn’t get much of that. We didn’t look
    like the team that played (in Dallas last) Sunday night.”

Added Tuck,
    “I’ve got a big knot in my stomach right now with how we just played.”

Corey Webster picked
    off Grossman on his flea-flicker pass on the first play of the game, but the
    Giants’ offense couldn’t get started. Manning (23-of-40, 257 yards) opened with
    a career-worst 0-for-6 start. Hakeem Nicks’ first of
    three dropped passes would’ve been a 54-yard touchdown (he said he lost the ball
    in the sun).

The Redskins’ 10-0 lead became 17-0 midway through the
    second quarter when fullback Darrel Young had a
    virtually uncontested 6-yard touchdown run up the middle. The Giants closed to
    within 17-3 at the half, but threw their momentum away when Manning was picked
    off by DeAngelo Hall on his
    first pass of the third quarter.

“We thought we could hit a few big
    plays,” Manning said. “That’s what it was going to take — a few big plays, some
    long touchdowns to spark our offense. They were there. We just didn’t capitalize
    on those.” Read more...

GIANTS SUFFER ENBARRASSING LOSS TO REDSKINS

Excerpt: "If the New York Giants miss the playoffs once again, they have only
    themselves and the Washington Redskins to blame.

Rex Grossman threw a touchdown pass and the Redskins put a major hurt on the
    Giants and their playoff hopes with a dominating 23-10 victory Sunday in a game
    in which New York showed little desire with much on the line.

"I'm very disappointed in how we played today," coach Tom Coughlin said after
    the Giants (7-7) fell a game behind Dallas (8-6) in the NFC East with two games
    left in the regular season.

"I accept responsibility for it. But I expected to see more - quality
    execution - and we didn't get that."

Surprisingly, Washington (5-9) looked very much like a playoff team in
    winning for only the second time in 10 games and embarrassing the Giants for the
    second time this season.

Grossman and the offense held the ball for 35 minutes, while the defense
    picked off Eli Manning three times and didn't allow a touchdown until the final
    minute.

"They had a lot at stake and obviously we didn't and I'm pleased the way we
    played," Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said.

Coming off an emotional win over Dallas on Sunday night in a game that gave
    them control of their own destiny, the Giants showed nothing after a couple of
    early interceptions.

"I didn't see the passion in us today," running back Brandon Jacobs said. "We
    didn't play well. We disappointed each other and our fans, and we've just got to
    play better. I can't tell you why."

The Giants still control their destiny. If they beat the Jets and the Cowboys
    in their final two games, they will win the division.

The Cowboys play the Philadelphia Eagles next weekend and could wrap up the
    division if the Giants fall in their rivalry game with the Jets.

"I still have confidence," Giants defensive captain Justin Tuck said. "We
    laid an egg today, but I've seen us rebound from things like this a lot of
    times. There's no quit in our guys. This was kind of an eye-opener. We have to
    keep the intensity going the whole game, and we didn't maintain it today.

Washington never trailed in spoiling what the Giants hoped would be another
    step in their run to the playoffs. The Redskins took the crowd out of the game
    early, opening a 17-0 lead and they were never threatened.

Grossman threw a 20-yard scoring pass to Santana Moss, Darrel Young scored on
    a 6-yard run after one of the Redskins' interceptions and Graham Gano kicked
    three field goals.

Former Giant and current Redskins defensive tackle Barry Cofield enjoyed
    spoiling the party hopes of his former teammates.

"A party broke out for us. I'm proud of how we came out and played," Cofield
    said, adding Washington has played well in recent weeks.

This loss was the fifth in six games for the Giants, who are in danger of
    missing the playoffs for the third straight year.

The scenario has been the same each season. New York starts the season
    quickly and then falters down the stretch, playing some unbelievably bad games
    with the postseason on the line.

This season it has been another collapse after a stunning win over New
    England left them at 6-2. They lost four in a row and then last week seemed to
    grab command again by rallying in the fourth quarter to beat the Cowboys in
    Dallas.

Again, with the playoffs in their grasp, they came out flat against the
    Redskins, who had already been eliminated from playoff contention.

Even a couple of gift interceptions by Grossman in the first quarter didn't
    help.

Gano gave Washington the lead on its second series with a 36-yard field goal
    that was set up in part by a 19-yard pass from Donte' Stallworth on a
    third-and-12 from the Giants 39.

Grossman, who finished 15 of 24 for 185 yards, pushed the lead to 10-0 early
    in the second quarter with his TD pass to a wide-open Moss on
    third-and-8." Read more...

##

ARE THE REDSKINS WASHED UP: THE GIANTS AREN'T BUYING IT

Excerpt: "There will be no excuses. The Giants know that. Not at this stage of the
    season. In a division game in December, with their playoff hopes still on the
    line, there’s no reason for them to come out flat.

“These games, you shouldn’t have to have a pep rally to get up for them,”
    said Giants cornerback Corey
    Webster
    . “It’s a division game. We know what’s at stake. You win or you go
    home. I don’t think you have to add any added pressure. We control our own
    destiny.

“We do what we’re supposed to do and everything will take care of
    itself.”

That’s both the simple truth and the simple problem the Giants (7-6) face as
    they take on the Washington Redskins (4-9) at the Meadowlands on Sunday
    afternoon. What they are supposed to do, if they truly are a playoff contender,
    is beat this Redskins team that has been eliminated from contention. They know
    they’re the better team, even though they lost in Washington in the season
    opener. Even safety Antrel Rolle said the
    Giants would beat the Redskins 99 out of 100 times they played.

But when is the last time the Giants did something they were supposed to do,
    particularly at home? Just this season alone, they barely beat a winless
    Dolphins team, couldn’t beat a dead Eagles team and lost to a Seattle team that
    had lost nine straight games in the Eastern Time Zone.

It’s no wonder why this game — sandwiched between the Giants’ emotional,
    season-saving win in Dallas last Sunday night and their high-stakes, much-hyped
    showdown with the Jets next Saturday — looks like such an obvious trap.

Even with so much at stake for the Giants, could they really fall into one
    again?

“I hope not,” said defensive end Dave
    Tollefson
    . “But that’s why they play the games, you know? Beyond the
    letdown, if we don’t play at a high level we’re going to get beat. They’re good.
    Coach Coughlin puts up the scores of all their games and it was really to me
    quite surprising how close they were in a lot of games. Not because I thought
    they were bad, but they really haven’t caught a break.”

Five of the Redskins’ nine losses have been by eight points or fewer and
    they’ve been destroyed by injuries and a minus-14 turnover ratio. There’s
    potential there, though, as the Giants saw in the opener when embattled quarterback Rex
    Grossman
    shredded their secondary for 305 yards in a 28-14
    win." Read more...

GIANTS' ROOKIE CORNERBACK PRINCE AMUKAMARA FOCUSING ON FOOTBALL NOW, NOT ROYAL ROOTS

Excerpt: "He is supposed to one day serve as the Chief of Awo-Omamma in the Imo State
    of Nigeria, succeeding his father, making critical decisions for the village on
    a regular basis. One day, in the distant future, he could be the king, just as
    his grandfather once was.

But none of that matters right now, because at the moment, Prince Amukamara,
    the Prince of Awo-Omamma, doesn’t want to be a prince.

“I feel like I am called to do something different,” he says.

The Giants’ rookie cornerback is named for royalty, but he reluctantly
    embraces his bloodlines. Shy and humble, Amukamara is caught in the same time
    warp that engulfs many first-generation Americans, battling to carve his own
    niche while simultaneously trying to satisfy traditions from another world.

“You’re growing up here, and a lot of the stuff you experience here, your
    parents never experienced,” says linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka,
    whose family is from Uganda. “You kind of have to find your way through middle
    school, high school, all alone, because they don’t have enough experience to
    help you through.”

Kiwanuka understands the struggle, because he dealt with it as a youngster.
    But he knows Prince’s situation is different.

Amukamara is a prince, a favorite son who inspires villagers to huddle around
    TVs for Giants games. He tries to hold his Nigerian heritage in similar esteem
    here, but that is not easy for somebody who was born in Boston, raised in
    Arizona and drafted in the first round by the Giants.

“I don’t want to say I’m Americanized; I do acknowledge that that’s my
    culture, that’s where my parents are from,” Amukamara says. “But I haven’t been
    living in the Nigerian world.”

His father, Romanus, has. The teacher makes a yearly trip to Awo-Omamma and
    checks in on the 800,000-person village regularly. He has never been to a
    nightclub, because when he arrived in the United States long before Prince was
    born, an embassy official told him that those places only breed trouble. And he
    has named each of his six children son Prince and daughters Princess, Precious,
    Promise, Peace and Passionate with heavy, thoughtful symbolism.

The 22-year-old Amukamara was named “Prince” because, as the first and only
    son of a chief, he would one day hold that title, Romanus says. Amukamara
    sometimes forgets that reasoning, but has grown fond of his unique
    name." Read more...

GIANTS, JETS WON'T DISAPPOINT WITH NYC BATTLE IN SIX DAYS

Excerpt: "It’s six days to Saturday’s kickoff between the Giants and Jets in what will
    be the most compelling regular-season game ever between the teams, as each makes
    an exhausting dash for the playoffs.

For sure it will be the trash-talkingest week ever in New York football
    history.

But there’s some important business to take care of Sunday before we get
    ready for an entertaining and outrageous week of Rex Ryan and Antrel Rolle battling
    for the Daily News back page every day.

In a season that feels more a like a sprint than the usual marathon — the
    lockout wiping out the offseason is the reason — the Giants and Jets have taken
    circuitous routes to get to the final three weeks in control of their own
    destiny.

“We have an opportunity to go to the last game of the year, which would be
    the Super Bowl,” linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka
    said. “And as long as we still have that within our grasp, we’re just going full
    steam ahead. What’s happened in the past has already happened. We can’t change
    it. But we have the ability to get everything together, get everything right and
    win out and win the big one, which is the only focus we have around here.”

The Giants are up first at home against the Redskins, who started 3-1,
    including their season-opening victory over Big Blue. But they are just 1-8 in
    the last two months. Then the Jets play in Philadelphia. The Eagles are the only
    team the Jets have never defeated.

They are 0-8 vs. Philly.

Are the Redskins’ bags packed for the offseason? They played the Jets and
    Patriots tough into the fourth quarter the last two weeks and before that won in
    Seattle and lost to the Cowboys in overtime.

So, it looks as if they are playing hard. But their history shows when they
    get to this point in the season, they are ready to mail it in. Last year, they
    lost five of their last six. Two years ago, the Giants were 7-6 and the Redskins
    were 4-9 going into their game in Washington. Same records the teams have now.
    Back then, the Redskins were coming off a big win over the Raiders, which
    followed losses to the Cowboys, Eagles and Saints by a total of seven points.
    Then the Giants, who were still alive in the playoff race, humiliated the
    Redskins 42-14." Read more...

NY POST

TOO EARLY

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS MATCHUP VS. REDSKINS

"At MetLife Stadium

Today, 1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 5

Radio: WFAN-AM 660

Line: Giants by 6 1/2

What's at stake

Giants: They may be just a half-game out of first place, but a playoff berth
    is far from guaranteed. This game is important not just because the Giants can
    share the division lead with Dallas if they win but also because a game against
    the Redskins affects the division, common game and conference tiebreakers with
    the Cowboys. The Giants also owe Washington some payback after coming out flat
    and losing in their season-opening encounter on Sept. 11, 28-14. They get S
    Kenny Phillips (MCL sprain) back but will be without DE Osi Umenyiora (ankle)
    for the third straight game, and DE Justin Tuck (toe) is questionable. He will
    be a game-time decision. The Giants can't afford a letdown, coming off three
    straight games against playoff-caliber opponents. The Redskins will be without
    TE Fred Davis (suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy) after
    catching five passes for 105 yards in Week 1.

Redskins: Their pride. They also have the opportunity to play spoiler against
    a division rival. Rookie RB Roy Helu seems to be building toward next season,
    having run for at least 100 yards the past three games, revitalizing a
    struggling running game. The defense boasts four pass rushers with at least five
    sacks as well as ageless LB London Fletcher, who leads the NFL with 134
    tackles.

Key matchup

Redskins QB Rex Grossman vs. Giants secondary

Grossman barely has kept his starting job – he was benched in favor of John
    Beck for three games – but he was good enough to torch the Giants for 305 yards
    and two touchdowns in Washington's season-opening victory. And he faces their
    30th-ranked defense (391.6 yards per game) and 29th-ranked passing defense
    (263.7) that has yielded 12 touchdown passes the past three games. However,
    Grossman has thrown 16 interceptions, and the Redskins are minus-14 in turnover
    ratio.

How they'll win

Giants: They have the NFL's worst-ranked rushing attack (85.8 yards per game,
    3.3 yards per carry) despite the increased output of Brandon Jacobs the past two
    weeks (160 yards). They again will need him and Ahmad Bradshaw to establish a
    running game behind MVP candidate Eli Manning. The Giants will have to maintain
    balance with the first two 1,000-yard receivers in team history in Victor Cruz
    (1,150, third in NFL) and Hakeem Nicks (1,023, 10th). The team leads the NFL
    with 15 pass plays of 40 or more yards. The defense will have to contain Helu
    and keep him from breaking it outside. And they'll need Jason Pierre-Paul (12
    1/2 sacks) – going up against a patchwork line — to pressure Grossman into
    mistakes.

Redskins: Establish the run, a tough task for the NFL's 31st-ranked rushing
    attack (93.8) – only the Giants' running game is worse — that will be without RT
    Jammal Brown (groin) and LT Trent Williams (drug suspension). Washington must
    force Manning into mistakes — such as Ryan Kerrigan's Week 1 pick-six — and keep
    the Giants' explosive receivers in check. It also must stop Jacobs from giving
    them rhythm, and exploit the Giants' gun-shy secondary."

— Jeff Roberts

BRANDON JACOBS FINDS HIS GROOVE

"The voice in his head told him to do it.

And Brandon Jacobs obeyed, even if he's not exactly sure why he did.

The Giants running back took the handoff and barreled down the field when he
    saw Cowboys safety Gerald Sensabaugh approach.

"Something told me to just jump," Jacobs said. "I don't know what it was
    because he was still standing tall."

But Jacobs hurdled him anyway last weekend on his way to a 13-yard
    first-quarter run.

"I still had about another two feet over him [when I leaped], so that was
    solid," he said.

Jacobs has been solid and then some the past two weeks, revitalizing the
    NFL's worst-ranked rushing attack and looking like the punishing runner who
    bullied his way to 1,000-yard seasons in 2007-08.

The 6-foot-4, 264-pound bruiser has rushed for 160 yards on just 27 carries
    the past two weeks – 5.9 yards per rush – and three touchdowns against the
    Packers and Cowboys.

His two rushing TDs in Dallas gave him 56 for his career, breaking the
    franchise record held by Tiki Barber. He has a chance for more today against the
    Redskins (4-9).

Jacobs has started to turn around a season that began with him complaining
    about limited carries and lashing out at fans for not supporting the team. He
    saved the day in Dallas when close friend and starting back Ahmad Bradshaw was
    benched for the first half for violating team rules.

"He's running with great confidence, so his cuts are much more decisive. He
    looks more physical," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "The $1 million
    dollar question is why? And I don't have an answer for that."

Jacobs is at a turning point in his seventh season with the Giants (7-6).

He's 29, often the beginning of the end for a running back. He has one season
    left on his contract and is due a roster bonus of $500,000 in March in addition
    to his $4.4 million base salary. But the Giants likely will not pay that much
    for a backup.

Jacobs himself admitted in an October interview with Men's Fitness that he
    does not see himself remaining with the team beyond this contract.

But he chose not to talk about that subject for this story. However, the Wayne resident discussed how football saved him from a
    troubled youth.

He grew up fatherless in the inner city and did a few months in a detention
    center in his native Louisiana as a teen for vandalizing cars outside a
    church.

Football – not his other sport of choice, boxing — was his way out.

"I fought as a kid," said Jacobs, who has rushed for 480 yards and seven TDs
    this season. "But football is what kept me out of trouble. You could always
    fight, whether you're in trouble or not."

Jacobs generally carries a checkered public image – much of it
    self-created.

He threw his helmet into the stands in 2010 in Indianapolis. He confronted
    photographers after cleaning out his locker at the end of last season. He
    repeatedly has lashed out at fans through the media.

But those who know him well describe him as a "big, playful teddy bear."

"He gets a little bit of a bum-rap in the papers from time to time," said Pat
    Lynch, who co-manages boxer Steven Martinez with Jacobs and managed the late
    Arturo Gatti. "And if you really know Brandon Jacobs, he's just a good-hearted
    guy who would do anything for you."

Jacobs, a former amateur boxer, has helped a number of young fighters who
    come from difficult backgrounds, acting as a "surrogate father," according to
    Carl Moretti, Top Rank's vice president of boxing operations.

"Whether he takes them to eat or buys them equipment for training, he doesn't
    think twice about that stuff," he said. "He helps these kids out when they need
    it. He's involved in their lives."

Those who know Jacobs say the public rarely sees the true No. 27.

He also manages former WBO junior welterweight champion Kendall Holt. But he
    does not get paid, according to the fighter.

"He's a manager who's not in it for the money," said the Paterson native, who insists Jacobs is afraid of scary
    movies and even commercials promoting them. "He understands our career spans are
    shorter than everyone else's in football and boxing."

Teammate Corey Webster said he's quiet away from the field — and he knows him
    well. He saved Jacobs from drowning when he was 12 and they were AAU basketball
    teammates.

"I'm sitting with my feet in the [hotel] pool, and he just comes running and
    jumps in," Webster said. "He can't swim. But he's bigger than everybody. He sees
    all of us in the pool, so he's thinking we're standing up.

"But we're treading water. And Jacobs sunk to the bottom. My mom's like,
    'Y'all better get him.'"

THE NEW YORK TIMES

CHARGING FOR DOWNLOADS REST OF MONTH

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/sports/football/index.html

GIANTS 101

GIANTS EMBARRASS THEMSELVES IN LOSS TO REDSKINS

"With the NFC East on the line and playoff hopes dancing in their heads, the New York
    Giants vowed all week to come out and match the intensity of the Washington Redskins, who were looking to play the role of
    spoiler.

Having already been beaten by Washington earlier this season, and the Dallas Cowboys
    having re-assumed sole position of first place with a win over the Tampa Bay
    Buccaneers on Saturday night, Big Blue had every reason to come out on Sunday
    afternoon and leave everything they had on the field. Instead, they took a page
    out of Kate Mara's playbook and got beaten to death a la American Horror
    Story.

Things got off to a great start when Corey
    Webster
    hauled in an interception on the first play of the game, but the
    Giants promptly went three-and-out and set what would be the tone for the
    remainder of the game.

The turnover plus three-and-out ultimately improved Washington's field position, and they promptly drove down
    the field for three points and would not relinquish that lead.

Rookie cornerback Prince Amukamara was repeatedly abused throughout the game
    prior to being benched, but the defense didn't improve with him out. As Michael
    Strahan
    put it during the FOX NFL halftime show, they looked "soft."

Alas, all of the blame can not be placed on Perry
    Fewell
    and his unit. The entire team was in shambles from start to
    finish.

In our game preview, we noted that one thing Big Blue couldn't do was cause
    self-inflicted wounds. Unfortunately, that's exactly what they did.

Drops, penalties, missed tackles, blown coverage(s), turnovers, missed
    assignments, incorrect routes and poor challenges ran ramped all game long. At
    one point, the Giants had more penalties than first downs, and with :34
    remaining, had more drops (5) than points. Of course, they scored a garbage
    touchdown to bring their point total to 10.

Still, the Giants control their own destiny. They can win the NFC East and
    earn a playoff spot by winning their next two games (@New York
    Jets, vs. Dallas Cowboys) and being crowned champions of the NFC East."

##

GIANTS VS. REDSKINS: NFL WEEK 15 PREVIEW

"Following a crucial 37-34 victory over the Dallas Cowboys in week 14, the New York
    Giants
    head into a week 15 matchup with the Washington Redskins at 7-6 and
    in control of the NFC East. Still riding a wave of momentum created in a last
    second loss to the Green Bay Packers two weeks ago, Big Blue will look to avenge
    a week one loss to the Redskins and further strengthen their grasp on an NFC
    playoff spot.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2011 - GAMEDAY - 7:54 A.M.

Thanks Roanoke!!

Re: NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2011 - GAMEDAY - 7:54 A.M.

I love reading about JPP. His story just makes you feel good. Its exciting to think about what's to come.

Thanks Roanoke.
    GO GIANTS!!!!

thanks Roanoke! [B]

thanks Ro...

will look for you on TV.....[]

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

This might be the only game all season where the Giants can finished off an opponent early and never look back for the win.

Veteran

Thanks RF!

The gmen are basically as healthy as they're going to get. This game = the season.

Let's go beat those Redskins!

Bench Player

Watch Washington vs NY Giants Online NFL Week 15 Online :

follow this link

http://secure.signup-page.com/5386/14811/livenfl

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

follow this link

This group has shown their hand, and its reads, "Not Playoff worthy". Why go to the playoffs to get killed, no efficiency in the offense and the Defense cant stop the run nor the pass.

Also on the Eli interception, why in the world are you throwing deep to Wak *** Ware,