+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Saturday, September 15, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Marvin Austin finally ready to play his first NFL regular season game

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Marvin Austin remembers stunting through the offensive line to get in position to tackle Dion Lewis in the end zone. Then the running back, as Austin demonstrated with upper-body movement, utilized a juke move to slip past him, avoid the safety and leave a frustrated Austin behind.

That sequence occurred on December 26, 2009 in the Meineke Car Care Bowl against the University of Pittsburgh. Austin was a junior at the University of North Carolina. The Tar Heels lost 19-17." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Gola's playbook: Tampa Bay Bucs (1-0) @ New York Giants (0-1)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1160386

Excerpt: "KEY MATCHUPS

RBs Doug Martin and LeGarrette Blount vs. MLB Chase Blackburn

The Cowboys gouged the Giants' run defense for more than five yards a pop in the opener while the Bucs relied on their running game to control the clock for over 37:00 against the Panthers. The Bucs are going to want to shorten and slow this game down. They know Josh Freeman (tried only one first-down pass last week) can't match Eli Manning throw for throw and the best way to counteract that is to get to the second level against a still suspect LB corps. The quick and elusive Martin doesn't mind going inside. He was taken a pick ahead of Giants RB David Wilson in the April draft and ran for 95 yards on 24 carries in his debut." Read more...

##
    Kenny Phillips keeps faith in Giants' secondary as team gets set to face Tampa Bay B uccaneers

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1160239

Excerpt: "The Giants’ secondary spent training camp promising to be better after a disappointing 2011. And the fifth-year safety remains optimistic that the unit that was shredded by the Dallas Cowboys in Week 1 can emerge as a dominant force, as long as players don’t try to do too much.

“It’s got to be,” Phillips told the Daily News Friday. “With this scheme and this defense, it’s rare that we get opportunities to make real big, game-changing plays.

“Just do your job,” he added. “Just take advantage of the opportunities that’s given to you. This scheme, basically, you haven’t seen a big-interception season. Just do your job.”
    Read more...

Giants will find a way to Buc their losing trend

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...losing-trend-0

Excerpt: "THE GAME: The defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants (0-1) vs. the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0) at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, N.J., 1 p.m. on Wednesday.

THE WEATHER: Best. Day. Ever. … Or at least close. The forecast calls for temperatures in the low 70s, no chance of rain, no wind, and lots of sun.

WHAT IT MEANS: That depends. Is your finger on the panic button? Do you believe in statistics? You should probably know that since the playoffs were expanded to 16 teams in 1990 only 22 of the 184 teams that have started 0-2 have rebounded to make the playoffs. That’s 11.9%. Of course, the Giants not only did that in 2007, they also went on to win the Super Bowl. So the game either means everything or nothing, it depends on your perspective. But heading into a short week and a road trip to Carolina on Thursday, stopping the slide downward could be a big help. I don’t know how many 0-3 teams have rebounded to make the playoffs, but I’m guessing the number is significantly less. … For the Bucs, well a win over the defending Super Bowl champions would sure go a long way towards helping Greg Schiano make believers out of his players. Winning early always helps a rookie coach turn things around a little easier." Read more...

Giants' Austin hopes to power his way onto field Sunday

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...o-field-sunday

Excerpt: "The last time Marvin Austin played in a football game, it was December 2009, and he was a junior at the University of North Carolina, playing against Pittsburgh in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.The Giants’ second-year defensive tackle never expected to wait nearly three years before he finally took the field again. But that’s exactly what could happen on Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, when Austin makes his NFL debut after two years out of action.“It’s been extremely tough,” Austin said. “You just try to be optimistic, try to be positive.”The Giants’ 2011 second-round pick missed his senior season at North Carolina after being dismissed for accepting improper benefits in 2010, and he sat out his rookie season with the Giants last year after tearing a pectoral muscle in the preseason." Read more...
    SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

Stone-Cold DT Marvin Austin in line to play after massive layoff

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...ojluSm7KbHfJHN

Excerpt: "
    Marvin Austin’s three-year hiatus from football finally may be coming to an end.

Austin, the Giants’ intriguing yet totally inexperienced 23-year-old defensive tackle, is poised to play tomorrow against the Bucs at MetLife Stadium in his first regular-season game in almost three years.

Austin played in the Meineke Car Care Bowl for North Carolina on Dec. 26, 2009, losing to Pitt, 19-17. Austin then lost his entire senior season in 2010 because of a suspension for violating team rules.

After being drafted by the Giants in the second round last year, he lost his entire rookie campaign after suffering a torn pectoral muscle during the preseason." Read more...

Big Blue secondary needs to man-up after 'Boys torching

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...A0FRYst5J9HxGO

It’s a simple slant, a basic pass play run from pee-wee football to the pros. But the Cowboys used it like a dagger, repeatedly piercing the Giants defense for key yardage in Dallas’ season-opening win at MetLife Stadium last week.

None was more damaging than the final connection when Tony Romo zipped a pass to unheralded Kevin Ogletree for a 13-yard gain on third-and-11 from the Dallas 26. The two-minute warning followed and with the Giants out of timeouts, the Cowboys ran out the clock to claim a 24-17 victory.

“It’s like we’ve never seen a slant before,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin groaned after Ogletree had caught eight passes for 114 yards and two touchdowns and Romo passed for 307 yards and three scores." Read more...

Nicks looks to catch fire after "Weak 1" dud

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...bB8ccU1SB619bM

The last time Hakeem Nicks had a game like he did in Week 1, he scored five touchdowns over the next three weeks, all in must-win games.

In the Giants’ season-opening loss to the Cowboys, the Giants’ No. 1 wideout managed just four catches for 38 yards, his lowest totals since last year’s Week 16 start against Jets shutdown cornerback Darrelle Revis (one catch, 20 yards).

The week after Revis Island, though, Nicks racked up five grabs for 76 yards and a touchdown against Dallas, then had six catches for 116 yards and two touchdowns in a playoff game versus Atlanta. He followed that with seven catches for 165 yards and two more scores in a playoff upset in Green Bay." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

Giants' Jaquian Williams eager to show his upside

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/16...is_upside.html

Excerpt: "Jacquian Williams was not concerned this summer with losing his job.

That was last season when the sixth-round pick from South Florida waited out the final cuts as if his future with the Giants and in the NFL hung in the balance.

Sidelined for much of this preseason with a nagging hip injury, even as the rest of a suddenly-deep group of linebackers flashed talent across the board, Williams never believed he would end up as the odd man out. The longer he spent out of pads, the more he worried about just how much playing time his teammates would be earning at his expense." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

Giants vs. Buccaneers: Week 2 preview

http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/15/...-game-preview/

Excerpt: "The New York Giants didn't have an ideal start to their 2012 season, as they lost a frustrating opening matchup with the division rival Dallas Cowboys 24-17 on kickoff night. New York came out of week one as the only team in the NFC East without a win but as they did last season, avoided panic this week and immediately shifted their focus to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who are coming off of a 16-10 win over the Carolina Panthers.

New York doesn't want to have to dig themselves out of an 0-2 hole, and with the way their schedule shakes out in the second half of the season, this is about as important a week two game they have played in recent memory." Read more...

##

Giants' bridge is being built by ALL-IN support

http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/15/...ll-in-support/

Excerpt: "After everyone came down off their proverbial ledges this past week, the realization that it really was only Week one of the 2012 regular season had sunk in. For most – doubters will be doubters.

In coming to the light, eventually the positive aspects (that were clearly there on the night of September 5th) were seen and somewhat admitted to. Some watched the game again as the coaches and players do. Some found it therapeutic, really. Walking away from a loss with the right mind frame is not only significant for the tone of the next game, but for the season. New YorkGiants head coach Tom Coughlin knows what he has in his locker room in the way of the 53-man." Read more...

Anamoly or not, Giants' offensive line is a running problem

http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/15/...nning-problem/

Excerpt: "No one likes to agree that they’re wrong, but an ever-growing person does. Houston, we not only have a problem along the New York Giants' offensive line, but we need help in figuring out what or who it is.

In 2010, the Giants’ offensive line was ranked second in the pass/pass blocking, gaining an average of 242.2 yards through the air and allowing only 16 sacks of quarterback Eli Manning. Their run blocking was 7th in the league and had a 59% success rate (getting “stuffed” 19% of the time). Most of that success was up the middle or off right tackle where they were ranked sixth and eighth, respectively. Once they got to the second level of opposing defenses (between 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage averaged/carry), they ranked fourth. In the open field (more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries), they ranked third. This is some pretty solid work behind a line that was aging and hurt, huh? David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Shaun O’Hara, Chris Snee and Kareem McKenzie sure were overlooked for their power and cohesiveness." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

Giants vs. Buccaneers: Five questions with Bucs Nation

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/15...th-bucs-nation

It seems like a long, long time since I have done a 'Five Questions' feature with a rival blogger. Jason from Bucs Nation, our Tampa Bay Buccaneerswebsite, asked this week, however. So, after a looooong hiatus, the first 'Five Questions' post we have done around here in quite a while. And yes, it includes my favorite question. If you don't know which one that is, you're new around here. You'll learn.

Here we go." Read more...

NY Giants' newas and notes: Sant routes and injufred players edition

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/15...-marvin-austin

Excerpt: "Head coach Tom Coughlin was asked Friday about the Giants' difficulty covering the slant pass during the season-opening loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Coughlin did not blame the issue on the cornerbacks.
    "It's an everything thing. It's a combination thing. You don't want to let them inside, but it's also based on the coverage. It wasn't always inside control by the corner," Coughlin said. "On the same token, there were some people that were supposed to be in the right spots that we wanted and the throwing lane was pretty obvious, so it's a combination. It's not just one thing." Read more...

Giants' Friday injury report
    http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/14...-injury-report

Here is the final New York Giants' injury report of the week.

Doesn't really look like anything to be alarmed about here. Just get used to seeing Nicks' name, and get used to seeing him lined up to play on Sunday. Or Monday. Or Thursday. Or whenever the heck the Giants play every week.

By the way, does anyone else think the NFL plays on too many nights now? I hate the Thursday games -- probably partially because I still don't have NFL Network." Read more...

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE LINK

ESPN

Austin hopes Sunday is his day, finally

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...is-day-finally

Excerpt: "Marvin Austin is dying to play in a real football game.

Can you blame him? It's been almost three years since his last one.

The 23-year-old defensive tackle may finally get his chance on Sunday, when the Giants take on the Buccaneers.

"I’m preparing as if I am (going to play)," Austin said Friday. "When the time comes for coach Coughlin to make the decision, either way I’ll be prepared. I’ll be prepared to be out there helping my guys see whatever I see if I’m not active. If I’m active, I’m going to be out there running around, acting a fool out there. A good fool, that is." Read more...

With Rivers doubtful, Boley likely to start

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...ikely-to-start

Excerpt: "Linebacker Michael Boley had started 39 of the 41 games he'd played in since joining the Giants prior to the 2009 season.

But on opening night 2012, with the Giants celebrating their Super Bowl championship and playing in front of a national TV audience, Boley had to wait his turn to get on the field.

After Boley missed much of the preseason with a hamstring injury, coach Tom Coughlin elected to go with free-agent acquisition Keith Rivers as the starter at weakside linebacker against the Cowboys. But Boley almost certainly will be back with the first team when the Giants take on the Buccaneers Sunday at MetLife Stadium. " Read more...

Amukamara, Coe both say they're ready

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia.../amukamara-coe

Excerpt: "The Giants still have not determined who will start at cornerback opposite Corey Webster on Sunday against the Buccaneers.

But the two most likely candidates, Prince Amukamara and Michael Coe, both sounded ready to go after practice on Friday.

"I just practiced this whole week, and just did the best I can out there," Amukamara said. "I feel a lot better. I feel like I'm improving and getting healthier each day."

"If I can compete in practice, I can play," he added.

"I feel really good," Coe said. "It's up to the coaches. I've been practicing all week, I've been feeling good. I've been doing special teams work and everything else." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

PFT's week 2 picks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cks-3/related/

Excerpt: "Last week, MDS and yours truly disagreed on only one pick. I trusted the J-E-T-S, and he didn’t.
    So I finished 11-5, and he’s already in second place with a 10-6 mark.This week, we’ve doubled our disagreements. Which means that there’s a good chance I’ll be in second place by next week at this time.Tune in to PFT Live this Thursday and every Thursday for MDS and yours truly talking about three or four of Sunday’s games. And, yes, there may be gloating.

Buccaneers at Giants

MDS’s take: Greg Schiano had his team playing exactly the kind of tough, physical football he promised they would play in Week One against the Panthers, while the defending champion Giants looked surprisingly out of sorts in their Week One loss to the Cowboys. But the Giants are still the Giants and the Buccaneers are still the Buccaneers, and Week One will look like an anomaly when this game is over.
    MDS’s pick: Giants 27, Buccaneers 10.Florio’s take: This is the kind of game that Giants could have lost, if they’d beaten the Cowboys in Week One. But since the Giants lost to the Cowboys in Week One, they’ll be guarding against another letdown — and quarterback Eli Manning will do what he has to do to propel the team in an early must-win situation.Florio’s pick: Giants 27, Buccaneers 17." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

Giants' Beatty must win back LT job

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...n-back-olt-job

Excerpt: "The Giants are going with Sean Locklear at left tackle for now. Will Beatty, the projected starter whose promising 2011 season ended after 10 games, is back healthy and practicing, but he's a backup at this point."There will be no change there unless I let you know," head coach Tom Coughlin said this week when asked about the situation." Read more...

##

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 09-15-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

what the hell is wrong with the secondary?? They said the same freaking thing last season..."oh...we are all trying to do too much"...."we all just ahve to do our jobs and trust".....geeze guys. Learn from your own mistakes already....coaches too!!!!

Like to Austin make a few splash plays.....

Thanks Ro
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Love it Stone Cold Austin...Let's hope he heats up and introduces himself in a very forward manner to Mr Martin!

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    what the hell is wrong with the secondary?? They said the same freaking thing last season..."oh...we are all trying to do too much"...."we all just ahve to do our jobs and trust".....geeze guys. Learn from your own mistakes already....coaches too!!!!

Like to Austin make a few splash plays.....

Thanks Ro
    I think we need to give Marvin a few games to get his feet wet before we call for his cleats
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Roanoke!

finally we get a chance to see Austin! i think hes gonna be a beast!

Starter
    Appears to be a "no excuses" game. Still concerned most with the O-line. The secondary will iron out.

Thanks for the news-the wait has been punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke!

finally we get a chance to see Austin! i think hes gonna be a beast!
    We need him, that's for sure

thank rf

Quote Originally Posted by derekunion28 View Post
    thank rf
    You're welcome

Thanks RF !