+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd and 2

3rd and 2

4th quarter, down by 7 with under 7 minutes to play. 3rd and 2 from our own 19.

Is it gutsy or just plain stupid football?

Yes, we all know what the defense is thinking, BUT, if we don't connect on that 40 yard pass there's a good chance we loose that game.

Why not move the chains, pound the ball and run the clock?

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post

Yes, we all know what the defense is thinking, BUT, if we don't connect on that 40 yard pass there's a good chance we loose that game.

My son and I question this every game for last several years....3rd and short yardage....the Giants will throw the ball down the field many times......it results in many big plays...but just as often ends with a punt......

The question is would you give up the big plays to play conservative?

It looks great when it works....makes you pull your hair out when you punt
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

how often have we been able to gaint just 2 yards in short yardage situation lately?? There I think you have your answer now.

KG is infamous for that kind of call.

When it works it's a thing of beauty ... when it doesn't you get a ton of Killdrive posts.

But considering the history and the outcome this time as well ... I'll call it a thing of beauty

Can't do that all of the time. Giants tried to do that against the Egals in 2010 and the Egals came back to beat the Giants. The Giants also tried to run out the clock but was unsuccessful. I say put up more points and forget about running out the clock mess.

You guys are right. It's not the first time. We do it frequently and we've seen it work as well as fail.

I'm not sure though that it's Gilbride in that it ultimately is up to Eli whether or not he wants to go deep. I think on this particular play Nicks ran a slant and was an option, but Eli saw Cruz had his man beat.

All in all it was just an amazing finish. It's hard to believe we could overcome that 1st half.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Can't do that all of the time. Giants tried to do that against the Egals in 2010 and the Egals came back to beat the Giants. The Giants also tried to run out the clock but was unsuccessful. I say put up more points and forget about running out the clock mess.
    Agreed. In hindsight running the clock was a non-issue right there since we needed 2 scores.

Think we're missing one important thing here, how do we know that it wasn't a play designed to get the 2 yards through the air and Eli noticed he had single coverage on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by BJacobs aka The Problem View Post
    Think we're missing one important thing here, how do we know that it wasn't a play designed to get the 2 yards through the air and Eli noticed he had single coverage on the outside?
    Sure ... but the architect of the option is Gilbride.