+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Should the Giants use Jernigan in the slot?

What I mean is, do the Giants want to go with Barden and Randle on the outside while Cruz is likely doubled in the slot? Or should the Giants leave Cruz out wide (Like he is in 2 receiver sets), use Jernigan in the slot (where he's better suited) and use either Barden or Randle as the #2...

What your thoughts on this?

It is much more difficult to double a player in the slot. Can bracket a guy underneath, but need a safety over the top still.

we'll prob see a bunch a diff personnel looks

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    It is much more difficult to double a player in the slot. Can bracket a guy underneath, but need a safety over the top still.
    Yeah I should have said bracket...like the 9ers did in the playoffs. The thing that I'm worried about is having two guys out wide who have very little NFL experience (Barden and Randle)

Wouldn't it be wise to leave Cruz out wide and use Jernigan in the slot?

Veteran
    I think they should line up and cross over each other often with cruz being in either spot
    (like nicks and cruz did in dallas game I believe). That way they don't know who will end up in the slot.
    Cruz could end up one on one at least occasionally, and that is all he needs.

I think they will sprinkle in some JJ in the slot..I was thinking the same thing. They are prob gonna use all 4 receivers this week with different looks

Barden Cruz Randle

Randle Cruz Barden

Randle Jernigan Cruz

I think both Randle and Barden are more comfortable in the offense than Jernigan is.

Jernigan still, IMO, has awhile before he is comfortable.

We haven't seen much of Jernigan in the slot with Eli though. Last year in preseason Jernigan played with the two's and three's. This year he played a couple of snaps out wide with Eli.

Might be a different story when he's in the slot with first team. He should be comfortable in that role being he played through his career at Troy...shouldn't hurt that he's in the same receiver meetings with Cruz and watches the guy every day.

I think if he's going to breakout anywhere for this team it's going to be in that role. Maybe now's the time to find out what they have in him. IDK...Just some thoughts that's going through my head right now...Otherwise how do the Giants figure he's going to help this team is what I'm wondering...

Could see Barden in the slot, they've put him there before

JJ had a couple nice catches in the preseason coming out of the slot, I think it will be something that they may try. I hope he gets a couple of opportunities.