You guys have to remember that the Giants will be playing 16 superbowls this season because it will be the biggest game of the year for every opposing team. That combined with all the film that opposing offensive coordinators watched has lead to the following which has stymied our defensive ends:
1. Teams are doing 3 and 5 step drops - this forces our ends to change their rush angles, and almost always neutralizes the wide loping outside speed rush
2. Teams are using their running backs and tight ends to chip our ends - this helps the offensive tackles, all they have to do is protect against the inside rush and force our ends to take the longer outside path to the qb
How to fix it.
1. Rush from the inside - since the primary focus has been to shut down our ends, Perry Fewell has to establish the inside pass rush by blitzing or stunting the tackles. It isn't a coincidence that the four sacks the Giants have are from the inside (one from each tackle and two from linebackers blitzing on the inside)
2. Jam the receivers and play a two man shell - the passes that are killing us are the quick stuff (especially the slants) so it behooves Perry Fewell to get physical with the wide receivers at the LOS to throw of the timing. with the Safteis playing deep, they can dislodge the ball from the receiver who dares to run a deep pattern.
3. make Phillips the free safety and let Rolle play in the box. sometimes Rolle take terrible angles to the ball and on one play I saw him bite on play action while he was the FS, your first read as a FS should always be pass, then you commit to the run.. He has a strong safety mentality and I think Phillips has better range than Rolle.
Unfortunately, we don't have the experience at corner back to institute press man. It will take Prince, Holsey and Coe some time to get acclimated to playing together in a game before any type of defense is effective.
Feel free to share your thoughts.