+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just bring one extra guy on the pass rush......pleeeasssseeee.....

As much as the Giants and Fewell would like to simply rely on their front four to provide pressure it's not gonna work when teams are max-protecting, chipping and keeping backs and TE's in to block. Saw the same thing for 12 games last year and not sure what it's going to take to get Fewell to bring that one extra guy again........bring one extra guy every other play from a different spot.....and if you do bring that guy don't drop a linemen into coverage........seems blatantly obvious.....just seems like we've been here before time and time again.

From rewatching the game the other night it seemed when they brought just that one extra guy they would get to Freeman or at least force him to get rid of the ball quickly.

you want to take someone out of coverage with a defensive backfield like this?

I completely understand what you are saying......but that front four should be applying a lot more pressure then they have shown so far this season

unfortunately this defense is built around getting pressure with the front four with just a few exotic blitz packages

so until CB is a healthy position I would expect more coverage looks ....less blitz looks

Live by the blitz = die by the blitz

Banned
    Its funny how people want us to blitz more then when we do they jump down PFs throat(see last weeks game when Coe was left on the outside vs VJ on 3rd and 11). As YA said our pass rush should get there with us "only" sending 4, this is how it is designed, and if we send more than that we are exposing ourselves to get hurt in the passing game, which we can not afford to do considering the state of our secondary.

As Corey has said and as I believe you bump and blitz at the line to hide deficiencies in the secondary.......Coe nor any other corner has laid a hand on their receiver coming off the line all season......that's a whole other problem. If you're going to blitz and leave man to man on the outside you have to jam and jam well. Is that a Fewell issue or personal technique thing? I honestly don't know and am asking.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    so until CB is a healthy position I would expect more coverage looks ....less blitz looks
    Damn you and your LOGIC......it's so frustrating and point on!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayC View Post
    As much as the Giants and Fewell would like to simply rely on their front four to provide pressure it's not gonna work when teams are max-protecting, chipping and keeping backs and TE's in to block. Saw the same thing for 12 games last year and not sure what it's going to take to get Fewell to bring that one extra guy again........bring one extra guy every other play from a different spot.....and if you do bring that guy don't drop a linemen into coverage........seems blatantly obvious.....just seems like we've been here before time and time again.

From rewatching the game the other night it seemed when they brought just that one extra guy they would get to Freeman or at least force him to get rid of the ball quickly.
    Teams have be bringing one and two extra guys on the rush, and Cam makes them pay dearly for it. Cam is a great passer and Steve Smith will get open along with Brian LaFell. The Giants can only hope to slow down the Pnathers and hope they outscore them......because the Panthers will score some points.

Dropping into coverage is called the "Prevent Defense"........in the history of the NFL all it has ever done is it has prevented nothing

The problem is it opens up the middle of the field for slants, curls and come back routes all day long

The Giants thrive on Dline pressure, and without at least one Bltzer the new Refs are letting the Oline hold all day long

Fewell is putting extreme pressure on our D with this Bill Sheridan imitation Defense

They will blitz, but you can't expect it on every passing down. That's a sure-fire way to get burned.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    you want to take someone out of coverage with a defensive backfield like this?

I completely understand what you are saying......but that front four should be applying a lot more pressure then they have shown so far this season

unfortunately this defense is built around getting pressure with the front four with just a few exotic blitz packages

I agree with BlueJay that Fewell should mix in a few more blitzes. And you're right...the front four should be getting more pressure...but they're not. So right now...the front four is getting almost zero pressure and the secondary is still getting torched. Fewell is pretty conservative and possibly very stubborn. So I agree with both of you....I would like a few more blitzes and see more press by the corners. But I don't think Fewell will do this. When, or if, the front four start applying pressure....I'm fine with no blitzing. But until that time comes....let's get after them.