+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    retirement home in Dallas (my son married a Texas gal. Woe is me)

The decline of Legends

Brady and Peyton really have not been playing well. I've seen Brady declining starting in the middle of last year. Sure he was still one of the best, but he had a noticeable difference in performance and demeanor going into the playoffs. Watching both of them beginning this year, I don't think they will be able to play at an elite level (Peyton may be done) again after this year. When they retire (which I think will happen at the end of next season), it will mark an end of a generation. It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will be until the Giants draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?
    Last edited by Giants5699; 09-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants5699 View Post
    Brady and Peyton really have not been playing well. I've seen Brady declining starting in the middle of last year. Sure he was still one of the best, but he had a noticeable difference in performance and demeanor going into the playoffs. Watching both of them beginning this year, I don't think they will be able to play at an elite level (Peyton may be done) again after this year. When they retire (which I think will happen at the end of next season), it will mark an end of a generation. It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?
    It happens to the best of them!
    ALL IN!

Brady and Peyton really have not been playing well. I've seen Brady declining starting in the middle of last year. Sure he was still one of the best, but he had a noticeable difference in performance and demeanor going into the playoffs. Watching both of them beginning this year, I don't think they will be able to play at an elite level (Peyton may be done) again after this year. When they retire (which I think will happen at the end of next season), it will mark an end of a generation. It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will be until the Giants draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?
    Oh you saw it from the middle of last year huh?

Tom Brady in his last 8 games of 2011:

20 TD's, 2 Int's 2532 yards.

That extends for the season at:

40 TD's 4 Int's 5064 yards

How exactly are we defining "decline"? And what is it the you "noticed"?

And Peyton is coming off a neck injury when he had nerve damage that took all the strength from his right arm. It takes a long while to get it back.

In other words....Neither are in decline.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Oh you saw it from the middle of last year huh?

Tom Brady in his last 8 games of 2011:

20 TD's, 2 Int's 2532 yards.

That extends for the season at:

40 TD's 4 Int's 5064 yards

How exactly are we defining "decline"? And what is it the you "noticed"?

And Peyton is coming off a neck injury when he had nerve damage that took all the strength from his right arm. It takes a long while to get it back.

In other words....Neither are in decline.
    Just his demeanor. His body language conveys the "I've given almost everything"

... It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will be until the Giants draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?
    I believe they will get a serious (1st round) replacement for Eli ONLY when his decline is obvious.

Just his demeanor. His body language conveys the "I've given almost everything"
    I live in Mass and watch almost all of his games. There's nothing wrong with his demeanor. The guys is still flat out great.

Oh yeah...and not only did he have immortal production during his supposed decline, he was also 8-0 during that horrific period.

Brady is fine. His only issues are a bad o-line and a less-than-smooth transition to a new offense.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Oh yeah...and not only did he have immortal production during his supposed decline, he was also 8-0 during that horrific period.
    I never said horrific. He played great. It just doesn't look like his head is in the game as much anymore.

I never said horrific. He played great. It just doesn't look like his head is in the game as much anymore.
    Based on what? This is completely ridiculous. You don't have that kind of excellence with your "head not in it".
    You claimed that his decline started the second have of last season, when in fact the second half of last season may have been either one of the best, or THEE best 8 game stretch in NFL history.
    I'm just trying to figure out what your criteria is. Did he slump his shoulders after one of the 2 picks he threw in those 8 games?