+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

The 1st time I saw Eli.....read on

It was draft day 9 yrs ago.

My family was in Europe visiting relatives and I paid the $15 to enter the Stadium and watch the draft in the Clubhouse.....a weird vibe going to something like that

So after they drafted Eli and I had a beer or two I wandered through the clubhouse lockeroom and out on to the sunny field....it was about 1PM

All of a sudden up in the Upper Deck appears this kid waving and smiling.........he looked like a kid on Christmas smiling and waving to the small crowd down on the turf ( few waved back stunned) .....he looked very young, maybe 16

It was Eli. How he got out to the Stadium so fast I have no idea but you could see the unmitigted joy on his face.
    I thought to myself what are you so happy about, you just came to a team steeped in losing, which had just fired its Head Coach. I was puzzled. I knew it would be a long road back to respectability for the Giants.

He seemed strangely calm, and confident, even then. I was perplexed, and it took 4 more years before I understood his attititude.

A unique player, a unique person.........glad he bent the rules to get here, and Ernie bent heaven and earth to get him, I was unconvinced. He seemed to really really want to be a Giant. Despite my doubts I loved his attitude.

The rest is history.

Eli today reminds me of Joe Montana in that they are both not a physical specimen and unassuming but has a burning desire and heart to play their best at all times. Oh and let's not forget being clutch at the biggest stage.

Nice thread

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNYGiants View Post
    Eli today reminds me of Joe Montana in that they are both not a physical specimen and unassuming but has a burning desire and heart to play their best at all times. Oh and let's not forget being clutch at the biggest stage.
    Great analogy, my opinion is Joe Montana was the best qb the NFL has ever seen. Like you mentioned, he didn't have the rifle arm, or the athleticism of some other qb's during his playing days. But at the end of the day he brought the best out of his teammates, and played his best football in the biggest games. Sounds very similar to our own Eli Manning.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    Great analogy, my opinion is Joe Montana was the best qb the NFL has ever seen. Like you mentioned, he didn't have the rifle arm, or the athleticism of some other qb's during his playing days. But at the end of the day he brought the best out of his teammates, and played his best football in the biggest games. Sounds very similar to our own Eli Manning.
    When it's all said and done, Eli will be a no brainer for the Hall of Fame

Yeah....I am not a follower of colleg football so really didnt know who he was other than Peyton's Brother.
    While I would go nutz when he played like a fool at times I never lost the hope that he could be something great. He is a dork, he can't run forward more than 10 steps without looking like a spaz, and does not look the NFL player. But he is smart, competitve, calm, and a champion.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Eli is the anchor that holds this team together now. He doesn't get overly emotional about the games, can shrug off bad plays and bad hits, and never loses it. THAT is what makes a truly elite QB. The media hates it because there's no story there, but he may very well be the best QB to play the game today. No other QB in the league would have won against SF's defense in the title game. No one...

Banned
    Just curious but was anyone reading this at the Stadium that draft day also?

PS- Its not a great treat unless you go with a group of friends and party, kind of boring....there were a few Giants plaers there but you had to queue up a long line to get their autographs......but I'm curious if anyone else was on the field that day and saw him come out to greet the fans

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    It was Eli. How he got out to the Stadium so fast I have no idea but you could see the unmitigted joy on his face.
    I thought to myself what are you so happy about, you just came to a team steeped in losing, which had just fired its Head Coach. I was puzzled. I knew it would be a long road back to respectability for the Giants.
    I liked your story, but "steeped in losing"? They were 3 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance, one year removed from a playoff appearance, already had two Super Bowls in relatively recent history... It's not like he went to a real loser, like the Cardinals, Browns, Eagles, Chargers, Jets, et al.

And I do remember seeing on TV that he showed up at the stadium immediately afterwards... Didn't look old enough to shave.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 09-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Banned
    Uhhhhhhhh. were you in a coma after the Ice Chips game? We were horrible