+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What to do when Diehl is ready to return?

I love DD and respect and appreciate everything that he's done for the Giants. That being said....

We all know that he's on the decline and if my memory serves me right the same thing kind of happened to O'Hara. I remember him being injured and then all of a sudden the offensive line started playing really well. When O'hara was supposedly healthy enough to play they put him back in the starting line up and it totally screwed up the chemistry with the team ultimately costing us the season. Do we do the same thing with Diehl or do we just stick with what's currently working? We know the Coughlin is a loyal guy but *I just don't want to see the saem thing happen again like it did a couple of years back.

Have a talk with him and show him game film. Then ask him to be ready when/if they need him.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

don't pretend that he'll just be inserted in the line because he was the 'starter'.

all kinds of football columnists when asked which team in the NFL is the most likely to have a walk on or UFA on the actual roster answer the Giants because the coaching staff just wants the best player based on practice and prep, period.

So if DD stays out, it means they're seeing better things with the current line up excluding him, if they put him back in, its because they think the improvement is due to something other than DD being out.

there's no question in my mind that this staff will make the choice based on who gives them the best chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Have a talk with him and show him game film. Then ask him to be ready when/if they need him.
    I think this is fair. The Giants need to go with the best offensive line possible for the sake of the team. Since Diehl is a team player, I hope he understands.

Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post
    I think this is fair. The Giants need to go with the best offensive line possible for the sake of the team. Since Diehl is a team player, I hope he understands.
    he wont like it because he is a competitor but he will oblige and work hard as he always does.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I don't know the answer to the OP, but I'll tell you this much. . .

I would love to see an up-to-speed Wilson running behind last night's line. Then again, I get the feeling Wilson isn't as NFL-ready as many people had hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    I don't know the answer to the OP, but I'll tell you this much. . .

I would love to see an up-to-speed Wilson running behind last night's line. Then again, I get the feeling Wilson isn't as NFL-ready as many people had hoped.
    +1

with him there's no rush. again, the expectation is always that a 1st round pick is going to contribute right away. that might be true for some positions, its not for this one.

The ideal situation would be that he is a valuable backup at the tackle and guard position. Also use him in our jumbo packages. I'm a Diehl fan, but I would be lying that I'm not excited from what I have seen from the guys up front since he got injured.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    The ideal situation would be that he is a valuable backup at the tackle and guard position. Also use him in our jumbo packages. I'm a Diehl fan, but I would be lying that I'm not excited from what I have seen from the guys up front since he got injured.
    I don't know why you'd consider him a valuable backup. A valuable backup comes in and plays well, like Barden and Brown have done. Diehl does not play well.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    he wont like it because he is a competitor but he will oblige and work hard as he always does.
    Agreed. He will accept it but won't like it.

Also, I don't want to seem mean and cold hearted for what he has given the Giants but what other choice does he have? He has been declining for quite a while and this should probably be his last year.