+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    I hate the way Brown is portrayed

    The announcers last night...several people on ESPN.....Have all made the statement that Brown has been cut 7 times.....true enough(I don't know exact number)....the implication being this guy has all this talent and yet people keep getting rid of him'''

    It really bugs me when these so called experts use surface numbers to make a statement like that and really don't tell the story

    Brown was drafted by us...looked like a promising young back.....He blew out his Achilles so we let him go ....I am assuming that an Achilles is one of these things that it takes a year or more to really fully recover....so he goes through a few teams that either assumed he wasn't good or just didn't want to give him the time to be 100% again....then we resign him and it appears hes finally 100%

    why not mention that the reason hes getting cut was cause of an injury?
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

  2. #2
    Veteran Rusty192's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chad
    Posts
    3,890
    Exactly. Good point. It makes us look like ****s for cutting him in the first place.

  3. #3
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    97,304
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    The announcers last night...several people on ESPN.....Have all made the statement that Brown has been cut 7 times.....true enough(I don't know exact number)....the implication being this guy has all this talent and yet people keep getting rid of him'''

    It really bugs me when these so called experts use surface numbers to make a statement like that and really don't tell the story

    Brown was drafted by us...looked like a promising young back.....He blew out his Achilles so we let him go ....I am assuming that an Achilles is one of these things that it takes a year or more to really fully recover....so he goes through a few teams that either assumed he wasn't good or just didn't want to give him the time to be 100% again....then we resign him and it appears hes finally 100%

    why not mention that the reason hes getting cut was cause of an injury?
    It's just not newsworthy
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's just not newsworthy
    That's my issue...only half the story is printed because the REAL story isn't appealing...
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

  5. #5
    i've heard plenty of media outlets refer to the injury...in fact just about anything you can read on the guy it leads off with the story of it.

    It's not like he's being portrayed in a negative light either just a very unique story and LOONG journey in a relatively short period of time - i assuming you think its negative or why else would you hate it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    i've heard plenty of media outlets refer to the injury...in fact just about anything you can read on the guy it leads off with the story of it.

    It's not like he's being portrayed in a negative light either just a very unique story and LOONG journey in a relatively short period of time - i assuming you think its negative or why else would you hate it.
    Your talking about written media ...I was referring to verbal...the announcers and ESPN.....all they say is he was cut 7 times.....they lead you to believe that there are 7 really bad judges of talent in the NFL

    as in how could 7 teams cut this guy?
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

  7. #7
    All-Pro Eli TO Shockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,823
    although the way the story is portrayed can be viewed in a negative way, I see it more as a testament to the hard work and effort put forth by Brown. The "Never quit, never give up, give it 100% all the time, and my time will come" mentality is impressive, especially when you've been told 7 times you're not good enough to play in the NFL. The kid never gave up, kept pushing, waited for his opportunity to start, and made the most of it. That's the kind of stuff champions are made of! I am a fan.

  8. #8
    Brown has technically been cut 7 times (5 teams) by my count. The below is from Wikipedia.

    1st Stint With Giants:
    Brown was drafted by the New York Giants in the fourth round (129th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft. He suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon during training camp on August 14, which forced him to miss his rookie season. He was placed on injured reserve on September 1, 2009. Brown was waived a year later by the Giants on September 4, 2010.

    Denver Broncos:
    On September 5, 2010, Brown was claimed off waivers by the Denver Broncos, waived on September 15, and then signed to the Broncos' practice squad on September 17, 2010. On September 21, 2010 Brown was signed to the active roster, and Lance Ball was waived. Brown himself was waived on October 16, 2010. In four regular season games with the Broncos, Brown played in three but only amassed statistics in one (two rushes for a total of minus one yard in a 31-17 road loss to the Baltimore Ravens on October 10, 2010).

    Indianapolis Colts:
    Brown was claimed off waivers by the Indianapolis Colts on October 18, 2010. Brown was moved to the Colts active roster on November 6, 2010, then waived on November 9, 2010. Brown did not amass any statistics in his only game with the Colts, a 26-24 road loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on November 7, 2010.

    Carolina Panthers:
    Brown was claimed off waivers by the Carolina Panthers on November 9, 2010, and then waived on November 16, 2010. Brown did not play in his only game with the Panthers, a 31-16 road loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on November 14, 2010.

    Washington Redskins:
    On November 24, 2010, Brown was signed by the Washington Redskins and added to their active roster. He was released on July 28, 2011.

    Second stint with the Giants:
    On August 3, 2011, Brown re-signed with the New York Giants. He was waived on September 3, but re-signed the next day to the practice squad. On February 5, 2012, Brown and the Giants won Super Bowl 46 against the New England Patriots. After the game Brown became known for his celebratory song, "I gotta ring", he and his teammates sang on the plane ride home and at the parade the following week.

    In March of 2012, Brown was hit with a four-game suspension by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He later claimed it was a result of Adderall use and eventually won an appeal, having his suspension lifted.

    On September 16, after starter Ahmad Bradshaw was knocked out of the game with a neck injury, Brown rushed for 71 yards on 13 carries, converting a two-point conversion and scoring the game-winning touchdown against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

    On September 20th of 2012, Brown stepped in as the starter for the Giants against the Carolina Panthers on Thursday Night Football. Brown rushed for 113 yards on 20 carries, scoring two rushing touchdowns.
    Last edited by scoostraw; 09-21-2012 at 04:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
    although the way the story is portrayed can be viewed in a negative way, I see it more as a testament to the hard work and effort put forth by Brown. The "Never quit, never give up, give it 100% all the time, and my time will come" mentality is impressive, especially when you've been told 7 times you're not good enough to play in the NFL. The kid never gave up, kept pushing, waited for his opportunity to start, and made the most of it. That's the kind of stuff champions are made of! I am a fan.
    I am not sure what story you are talking about....Im just talking about one sentence that announcers are using almost like an adjective to describe brown

    the subject of Brown comes up both on the game broadcast and at espn this morning....This kid has been cut by 7 teams.........That's it no story...just that sentence
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

  10. #10
    good point, but they pointed out that other teams cut him as well, so it kinda makes us look smart and it adds to the story

    and let's face it stories are part of the NFL

    the media heads spent the entire off-season talking about non-football stories like Chad Ochojohnson and TO and Tebow, etc. ... but the great thing about the NFL is the real football stories are guys like Andre Brown and Victor Cruz
    Apologize to Melo 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts