+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is It Even Possible To "FREEZE" a Kicker In South Florida?

Is It Even Possible To "FREEZE" a Kicker In South Florida?

Can anyone prove that this practice has ever accomplished anything more than HELPING the opponent?
    Giving an opponent a second shot at a FG they just missed or got blocked, seems like a pretty dumb strategy if you're actually trying to WIN the game!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    Can anyone prove that this practice has ever accomplished anything more than HELPING the opponent?
    Giving an opponent a second shot at a FG they just missed or got blocked, seems like a pretty dumb strategy if you're actually trying to WIN the game!
    Yes the Jets lucked out there. IF the miami coach doesnt call timeout the OT continues.

Then you have the opposite with teams like Dallas and Garrett freezing themselves out of wins. lol
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Well it almost helped the Pats last night and it has proved successful. But it has also had the opposite effect too. A full accounting of the practice would be interesting to see but I imagine it doesn't work many more times than it does.

As a practice I think it's poor sportsmanship. I imagine many would disagree and that's fine. It's one of those grey areas. Take Schiano's practice during the kneel-down. I personally have no problem with it. Why does the offense get to decide that the game is over when there are still ticks on the clock and a chance albeit slim for the other team to score ? If you know that the rush is coming don't cry in your towel, line up like men and run another play.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Well it almost helped the Pats last night and it has proved successful. But it has also had the opposite effect too. A full accounting of the practice would be interesting to see but I imagine it doesn't work many more times than it does.

As a practice I think it's poor sportsmanship. I imagine many would disagree and that's fine. It's one of those grey areas. Take Schiano's practice during the kneel-down. I personally have no problem with it. Why does the offense get to decide that the game is over when there are still ticks on the clock and a chance albeit slim for the other team to score ? If you know that the rush is coming don't cry in your towel, line up like men and run another play.
    going to have to agree with you there. Just because this is the way its always been done in the NFL doesnt mean its wrong when a former college coach comes along and refuses to concede a loss until the clock shows 0:00. Its not a Rule that you cant rush during a kneeldown. The bucs did it vs you guys yesterday. I realize you were not in full kneeldown mode but romo still got knocked on his kister and Garrett looked pissed. However. again its not illegal and if everyone knows in a close game with TB this is what the guy is going to do and if you dont prepare for it, shame on you.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    going to have to agree with you there. Just because this is the way its always been done in the NFL doesnt mean its wrong when a former college coach comes along and refuses to concede a loss until the clock shows 0:00. Its not a Rule that you cant rush during a kneeldown. The bucs did it vs you guys yesterday. I realize you were not in full kneeldown mode but romo still got knocked on his kister and Garrett looked pissed. However. again its not illegal and if everyone knows in a close game with TB this is what the guy is going to do and if you dont prepare for it, shame on you.
    I don't think anyone can argue right or wrong on this one. What Schiano did was a punk move because the fact is that the offense does get to decide that the game is over there. They get to decide it because they control the ball, the clock is in their favor and most importantly because the defensive team did not make enough plays during the game. End of story.

That said, there is always that one in a million shot where the snap is bad or where a defender anticipates the snap and creates a TO (even though by definition this should be whistled dead due to encroachment,, but calls get missed all the time so it could happen)...so yeah, those two miniscule possibilities make Schiano's call legal although I doubt very few would call it sportsmanlike because again, it became necessary only because your team failed to make enough plays during the game.

TB has to do it now because they did it the first time with the Giants, they're now forced into repeating their own futile stupidity over and over this season. I guess if you are unable to coach your team to a victory, kicking the opposition in the shins while they're in the process of kicking your *** is the only solace you have left. It's sad actually.

+ Reply to Thread