+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising a QB

Raising a QB

Not exactly a Giant discussion but....

I'm listening to CNN and they're talking about Cam Newton and RGIII. Cam is complaining about how players (his), at times are not doing what they are supposed to and it's causing him to lose mental focus. RGIII (the running QB) is having a Mike Vick moment saying that he's being hit too much and it's the refs fault. I don't even hear Mike Vick complaining yet.

All I could think is two things: Young QB's thrown to the wolves and this is the NFL - you're going to be tackled and rattled.

Just had to get that off of my chest because if the complaints ever are acted upon it will mean that these running QB's will be such a protected bunch that the game as we know it will have changed. Whatever happened to developing QB's and what makes RG3 think he's playing college ball. Some of these guys are as fast as he is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgiantfan View Post
    Not exactly a Giant discussion but....

I'm listening to CNN and they're talking about Cam Newton and RGIII. Cam is complaining about how players (his), at times are not doing what they are supposed to and it's causing him to lose mental focus. RGIII (the running QB) is having a Mike Vick moment saying that he's being hit too much and it's the refs fault. I don't even hear Mike Vick complaining yet.

All I could think is two things: Young QB's thrown to the wolves and this is the NFL - you're going to be tackled and rattled.

Just had to get that off of my chest because if the complaints ever are acted upon it will mean that these running QB's will be such a protected bunch that the game as we know it will have changed. Whatever happened to developing QB's and what makes RG3 think he's playing college ball. Some of these guys are as fast as he is.
    You are correct that a lot of these players....even on the DL...are pretty quick themselves or they wouldn't be there. You have to realize that the young QB's are not use to this. They are use to having their way with the opposition... so they are either going to learn and change or go by the way of VY. I remember Eli and his struggles clearly...talking to his dad and whining, "Nobody's open!" Fortunately Eli was able to keep it to himself and learn and mature without opening mouth and inserting foot.

Can we get a quote from RG3...he's been talking real reckless lately. I'm pleasantly surprised.

**** them. they have to battle through whatever it is they need to. They can talk but at somepoint they will have to get it done.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

RG III is a great example of a modern sports star ... today's athletes are heavily rewarded before they win anything in the NFL .... back in the day you had to win games before your were considered a star and given all the star rewards

that's why he expects to be given the star treatment on the field ... he thinks he's the Michael Jordon of football
    Apologize to Melo 5

I haven't seen the hits, so I can't say if his complaint is valid. But, anyone who wants to play QB in the NFL better hitch up his pants.
    I've haven't heard many other QB's complain about late hits. You can bet you'll not hear Eli.
    Back in te day (dinosaurs) Joe Willie got hit by Ben Davidson about 2 full seconds after he released the ball. Broken Jaw, no roughing flag, as was common in the day. You see many a QB pass the ball and then turn and duck cuz the hits would be coming, and no flags.
    You can get away with far less today than you did back then, but QB's still take a beating and RG might consider less complaining.
    Maybe he thinks regular refs would protect him more? Perhaps.
    Once he starts to run he'll get no consideration., and shouldn't
    Doesn't matter... it's the same all over and I don't hear any vets complaining.
    Hitch 'em up, Bobby, and zip the lip.

yeah, we if don't like how these guys complain and conduct themselves, we really only have ourselves to blame.

Athletes are so CODDLED in society today, starting as kids, why should we expect them to act any different?

for some of these guys the introduction into the NFL is a shock, and it certainly was for RG3 this week.

And he still doesn't get it. Saying he'll always get up and he won't be scared getting hit? LOL. You didn't sound scared until you said that.

you're a superstar one week, and then a joke the next in the NFL. Get used to it.

I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying here. And just to add to it, part of the problem is some of these guys are praised and pampered so much starting back in the pop Warner leagues. So much so that they get a swelled up head. And then they are hyped up in College and in NFL combines as the next great QB.

I remember in my HS there was this star athelete. He played Football, Baseball, and Track and was all-city in all 3 and All-State in Football & track. The guy got away with everything. I would be there in football practice working my tail off, and he would just show up half way through and sometimes even twards the end. The coaches wouldn't say a word.

In colege though he got a huge dose of reality. He couldn't deal with the fact that he wasn't the best and wasn't going to get any star treatment.

I think some of these guys just need a big dose of reality. Coaches and players have to get in their face and let them know that they don't care if they are a top 10 pick; they don't care if they have millions of dollars. You still have to earn the respect of your peers.

While I usually don't like whining, I'd like to hear as many complaints as possible about the replacement refs.

RGIII got absolutely decimated yesterday cause the Skins started running a Pistol Option like a college offense. Of course he is going to get smashed when he runs around like that. If he doesn't want to get hit he needs to stay in the pocket and get rid of the ball quickly. What a freakin baby. The hits were legal and he looks like a big sissy. When are NFL scouts and coaches going to learn that winning QBs are guys that stay in the pocket and pass, not guys who are great "athletes" who can run all over the field. That works in college, but not in the pros where a 300lb lineman can run as fast as a 190lb guys sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread