+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Are we witnessing a Changing of the Guard?

This past week of football was extremely surprising for the majority of us. Who would have predicted that New England, Pittsburgh, Greenbay, New Orleans, Philly, San Francisco, & Detroit would lose in the same week? With all of this happening, I am beginning to think that the once dominant teams are beginning to regress and we could be witnessing a gradual changing of the guard.

Now, I do realize there are some factors that contributed to the above mentioned teams losing such as Bountygate, Playing in Seattle, scab refs, small sample size, etc. but it also seems that the Elite Franchises aren't as dominant as they once were.

With that being said, I was wondering what you fellas have to say about the events that have been occurring.

Given that after week 2 there were a record 20 1-1 teams, I think that means the NFL is finally reaching that parity that they've coveted for so long...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

All-Pro
    They only played 3 games. Not sure why the Saints are a surprise to so many. They don't have their head coach, lost some defensive players, and lost their OG in FA. I think when the Steelers get healthy they will be better, the 49ers are still a very good team, Green Bay should be 2-1, and the Patriots will still win their division. The Eagles are 2-1. I don't care how they got there. They are 2-1, the same record as the Giants.

Goes to show that you can't look at a schedule in May, and predict anything.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post
    This past week of football was extremely surprising for the majority of us. Who would have predicted that New England, Pittsburgh, Greenbay, New Orleans, Philly, San Francisco, & Detroit would lose in the same week? With all of this happening, I am beginning to think that the once dominant teams are beginning to regress and we could be witnessing a gradual changing of the guard.

Now, I do realize there are some factors that contributed to the above mentioned teams losing such as Bountygate, Playing in Seattle, scab refs, small sample size, etc. but it also seems that the Elite Franchises aren't as dominant as they once were.

With that being said, I was wondering what you fellas have to say about the events that have been occurring.
    Very interesting. With free agency rules as they are a team can build a winner very quickly, but with the cap rules as they are they are also likely to find themselves in cap trouble. The good free agents will go from team to team trying to make as much money as they can for a short period of time. Teams that want to be good for longer periods will have to spend their money on good coaching staff's and good scouting department personnel so they can continue to find and develop raw talent. It seems like it is exactly what the Giants are trying to do.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    Goes to show that you can't look at a schedule in May, and predict anything.
    So true

ALL-IN!

Veteran
    Have to love the parity and salary cap of the NFL.
    Every team has the same chance (more or less).
    If you suck for a long number of years, get a crap load of high
    first and 2nd round picks, eventually you have just
    too much talent to keep being that bad.

That and it is nice to see defenses (like the cards and seattle)
    making a comback. I'm tired of games like a 41-34....

Great for highlight films for the average joe, but
    I can watch hard hits from the D popping out those
    passes all day long and be jsut as happy as wathcing TD passes.

Veteran
    You think it could have anything to do with new faces calling the penalties. Maybe the replacements don't know that when a GB defender holds the jersey of a receiver that it is not holding or pass interference. That foul can only be called if the defender is dressed in blue, red, white, or any combo of previous mentioned.

it's how the league is ... it's why i cringe when i see people say THE GIANTS NEED TO BE MORE CONSISTENT ... it's like they only know the rest of the league thru highlights ... they dont understand what goes on with other teams

the regular season is a war of attrition ... it's about survival ... pray to avoid key injuries ... have depth ... play 60 minutes, never give up on a game ... to use last year's theme ... FINISH

what i love about this year's team is that we are never out of a game ... we can go 3 quarters with nothing going our way and, yet, we can still win ... that is something to be truly appreciated

oh and more on topic ... each of the last several seasons there have been around 6 teams in the league that didnt make playoffs the season before that make the playoffs ... so it's business as usual ... i wouldnt say changing of the guard ... right now the Cards, Hawks, Bears, Boys, Chargers, Bills and Eagles are all looking to be new playoff teams this season

in a few weeks some other team will have won a couple in a row and be part of the equation
    Last edited by GMan-67; 09-25-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Apologize to Melo 5

I honestly thought this was going to be about the o-line...