+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarie View Post
    Strong luck to both of you guys.
    Thanks buddy!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfan90 View Post
    Thanks man and goodluck to you too! Going on my second night without one! Yeah it sucks sometime, but whenever i get the urge i eat sunflower seeds. My dad also drives a truck and tries to quit every now and then and he said the best thing to do when you want one is to chow down on some seeds. So far so good! I know it sucks sitting in one spot driving but drink lots of water and occupy your mind with something else. If you really wanna quit, you can do it! ya gotta bELIeve lol
    I hear ya. I bought another pack yesterday... smh. It's time to change my occupation. Thanks I'm gonna try again. Lol @ bELIeve.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerNYG View Post
    I hear ya. I bought another pack yesterday... smh. It's time to change my occupation. Thanks I'm gonna try again. Lol @ bELIeve.
    Whats up man?! So far so good. Though after sunday night, i was really tempted to get a pack. It's never too late to try (unless you're dead) lol. Cya man!

Idk if anyone will see this or if i can even talk about this on here but i figured id turn to some of my big blue nrothers and sisters for some advice. I am quitting tonight at midnight (set the date like a month ago) and wanted to know if anyone else on here has quit. If so, how'd you do it? I'm doing it cold turkey. Whats the best way to get over the urges? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I quit 6 or 7 years ago. I used the patch, though, as having tried cold turkey a few times before didn't work out for me.

First thing, make sure when you go to bed tonight that you do not have any more smokes. When I quit, I still had almost a full pack left. I ran them under the sink and threw them out before I went to bed.

I chewed on straws to help get over the oral fixation/action of smoking. It seems strange to say, but you'll find that there will be times when you just won't know what to do with your hands and whatnot because you're used to the action of smoking a cig.

Avoid triggers. I dramatically cut down on my coffee intake. I'd still have my cup or two in the morning to get going, but I didn't drink as much outside of that. I also almost completely stopped drinking the first month. I'd still have a beer or two every so often, but I avoided getting drunk. Alcohol not only was a trigger, but it also destroys your judgement. The, "I'll just have this one," becomes a lot more easy to justify after a bunch of beers.

Something else that I found helped me is that when I talked about quitting with other people (and in my head too), I said that I quit smoking, not that I was quitting or trying to quit. By saying that, it didn't allow for the possibility of failure, where "trying" to quit does.

Hope any of that helps/

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I quit 6 or 7 years ago. I used the patch, though, as having tried cold turkey a few times before didn't work out for me.

First thing, make sure when you go to bed tonight that you do not have any more smokes. When I quit, I still had almost a full pack left. I ran them under the sink and threw them out before I went to bed.

I chewed on straws to help get over the oral fixation/action of smoking. It seems strange to say, but you'll find that there will be times when you just won't know what to do with your hands and whatnot because you're used to the action of smoking a cig.

Avoid triggers. I dramatically cut down on my coffee intake. I'd still have my cup or two in the morning to get going, but I didn't drink as much outside of that. I also almost completely stopped drinking the first month. I'd still have a beer or two every so often, but I avoided getting drunk. Alcohol not only was a trigger, but it also destroys your judgement. The, "I'll just have this one," becomes a lot more easy to justify after a bunch of beers.

Something else that I found helped me is that when I talked about quitting with other people (and in my head too), I said that I quit smoking, not that I was quitting or trying to quit. By saying that, it didn't allow for the possibility of failure, where "trying" to quit does.

Hope any of that helps/
    Wow, I was the total opposite...I quit about the same time you did but.......I kept some cigarettes on me at all times...the whole "no no no" wasn't working, so I said to myself, "I have them, I can have one if I really want" and I sort of challenged myself without actually throwing them away, and it worked, it didn't feel so much like depriving myself.

Before that I tried the patch, but I had crazy dreams, and after a while I actually started craving the patch more than the actual cigarette...crazy but true....also, whenever I drink, I actually smoke less....I know it's weird, but alcohol makes me want one less. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, find what method suits you best, burner and nygfan, no matter how bizarre, and try to stick with it.

Also, I've had plenty of "last ones"....so if you don't make it, keep on trying...

Thank laurah and Drez!!

Banned
    Whats up man?! So far so good. Though after sunday night, i was really tempted to get a pack. It's never too late to try (unless you're dead) lol. Cya man!
    Let's just say I'm a work in progress. Good luck on your journey though man.