+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DE switch idea

Veteran

DE switch idea

Here is an idea that could help get our Pass rush going if it doesn't start to get on track soon.

This is probably a touchy subject

Move Kiwi back to DE opposite to JPP. Bring Osi in on pass rush duties or for relief if either of them gets tired. Tuck Move him inside on pass rush duties and also use him to spell one of the DE's.

Lets face it JPP is our best DE he stays. Kiwi is good against the rush and can get after the qb. Tuck is better suited vs run and has enough beef to play inside where he could be a better pass rusher and to me that is where he was most effective (remember SB 08 SB ask Pats fans)

Also we have better LB depth now and we could actually do this with moving Kiwi. This is not to say Kiwi isnt doing a good job as a LB.

Rivers, Boley and BlackBurn at LB and Williams can come in on to replace Blackburn on passing situations.

Just a wild idea.

Im sorry maybe Im misreading but if you move Kiwi and Osi to D end, where do you put JPP??

Tuck should stay at LDE (he's too skilled and fast to be a DT), but I would be OK platooning Kiwi back to the DEs for depth and maybe to be Tuck's understudy in place of Tolly. Also not a bad long-term move as we lose Osi next year and could use the depth of 3 starting-quality DEs we've been used to. Also because we seem to be getting some momentum at the LB position with Herzlich, Williams, et al we can afford to deplete Kiwi from the LB corps, and with teams going 3 wide a high percentage of the time we'll be seeing extra safeties on the field in place of linebackers anyway.

However Kiwi has been switched many times and wants to stay at LB.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 09-27-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Veteran
    I mentioned move Kiwi to opposite of JPP and bring Osi in relief and odd passing situations when either JPP and Kiwi get tired.

They move these guys around all the time anyways...

Veteran
    Bottom line is we need someone else to help JPP out their.

Doesn't that make Justin Tuck a 3rd down DT? Even if you aren't thrilled with his play lately, that does not seem like a good use for him. He's better than that!

A lot of what you are saying is already happening. Osi is playing in relief for JPP/Tuck. We have a NASCAR package where Kiwi is DE and Tuck is DT.

They are moved all over the field to create different mismatches. There is no set alignment.

Kiwi rushing as a LB is fine with me. Kiwi has improved at LB so much it is ******ed. And his pass rush / run stuffing is very effective still. He is 1 of the most undervalued Giants IMO.
    If you dig up the dirt in Oakland, you will find Giant bones

3/18/14 Draft:
    1-Aaron Donald DT Pitt
    2-Kareem Martin DE UNC
    3-Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Neb
    4-C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    5-Bryan Stork C FSU
    5-Chris Watt G ND
    6-Jeff Janis WR SV

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdip View Post
    I mentioned move Kiwi to opposite of JPP and bring Osi in relief and odd passing situations when either JPP and Kiwi get tired.
    They run the nascar package which is pretty much what you described, only kiwi is a DT.