+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Sunday, September 30, 2012 GAME NIGHT

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Osi Umenyiora says he is not doing as well as he shouldbe

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...says_he_i.html

Excerpt: "Osi Umenyiora, grinning, answered the question with a question.

“After 10 years?” he said. This was the veteran Giants defensive end making clear that no, he has nothing to prove to anyone else at this point in his NFL career — and certainly not to a 24-year-old Eagles running back who dubbed Umenyiora a “ballerina” in a recently-aired ESPN interview. Except, that is, Umenyiora has something to prove to himself. “I don’t think I’m as good as I’m supposed to be,” Umenyiora said last week as he left the Giants locker room. “No, I don’t. I think I’m supposed to be a lot better than I am. I just feel like I’m supposed to be the very best.” Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

NFC East foes NY Giants, Philadelphia Eagles prepare for another slugfest at the Linc

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1171179

Excerpt: "
    The Giants really do hate the Cowboys, even if it's nearly two decades since America's Team has been to the Super Bowl. They have no use for the Jets, but their four Super Bowl trophies to just one for the Jets gives them major talking points in the big brother-little brother debate.

But their real passionate rivalry is with the Eagles.

It starts with them being just 100 miles apart and at least one of them having been in the playoffs every year since 2000. In the last 12 seasons, the Eagles have won the NFC East six times, the Giants four times and the Cowboys twice. During that time, the Giants and Eagles have made the playoffs in the same year three times.

And their games are always slugfests." Read more...

Will Hill, after years of drugs and parties, is making the most of his opportunity with Giants

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1171147

Execrpt: "Two pairs of eyes trained on Will Hill, as if trying to peek into the deepest corners of his soul. And suddenly, the talkative, confident safety didn’t feel so confident at all.

He desperately wanted to impress Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and safeties coach David Merritt in this late-spring meeting, wanted to show that he could help the Super Bowl champs. But at this moment, at this time, he needed to deal with his sordid past, explaining the Twitter meltdown and the marijuana suspension and the attitude that had disappointed so many scouts a year ago.

He thought about deflecting blame, as he’d done so many times before.

No. Not this time.

“I put everything on the line, just told them the truth,” he says. “I said, ‘I’m trying to come here to work and to help this team. I’m not gonna be a problem. I won’t be a distraction.’" Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

Eli and Co. aim to change recent history vs. Eagles

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...GV1hNoVYNnTb8H

Eli Manning recalls whenever the Giants meet up with the Eagles “it always seems like it’s a tight game.’’ Justin Tuck says the mark of a “true rivalry’’ is based on the significance of the games to the rise and fall of a season.

“Going forward, I see it the same way,’’ Tuck said.

Going forward arrives tonight at Lincoln Financial Field, as the Giants and Eagles, both owning 2-1 records attained in very different manners, renew what recently has been a one-sided duel in the Eagles’ favor, in what usually is a battle for NFC East supremacy. The Eagles got blown out last week in Arizona, and the Giants overwhelmed the Panthers in Carolina, so the perception pendulum has swung to the Giants heading into this affair, with the Eagles eager to swing it back around.

Manning, who is on a major roll, described the atmosphere as “tough’’ and “loud’’ and called the Philadelphia fans “unique.’’ But, Manning added, “It can be a fun place to play.’’

Or a house of horrors." Read more...

Serby's Sunday Q & A...Andre Brown

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...J5Oj6bHvZugwKK

Post columnist Steve Serby chased down Giants breakout back Andre Brown for a little Q&A.

Q: .Give me a hard-nosed running back, in between the tackles. ... Oooh I got a perfect one — Earl Campbell.

Q: You’re not as big as Earl Campbell though.A: I’m 234 [pounds]!Q: Describe your mentality on the field.A: Run with reckless abandon ... just get every yard necessary that I need." Read more...

JPP out to ring Eqagles' bell

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...qt6ll4HlvREEhN

Standing in the way of Jason Pierre-Paul and a clear path to Michael Vick Sunday night is Demetress Bell, a fill-in left tackle brought in to start for the Eagles, but beaten out in training camp by King Dunlap.

Bell made his first start for the Eagles in last week’s 27-6 loss to the Cardinals and will again fill in for Dunlap, who will miss his second straight game with a hamstring injury. The Eagles signed Bell to a five-year, $34.5 million contract to replace injured Jason Peters, but only $3.15 million of Bell’s contract is guaranteed. Bell started 30 games at left tackle in four years with the Bills.

The left tackle is not the blind-side protector for the Eagles because Vick is a left-handed quarterback. Rushing from the left side, Justin Tuck is looking for his first sack of the season going against right tackle Todd Herremans." Read more...

Giants task for Philly week: Sic Vick

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...ykdnzKM1q6Ms9M

Such is the nature of this blood feud between the Giants and the Eagles that even coach Tom Coughlin sounded as if he wanted to put a lick on Michael Vick when he set the tone for this brawlgame early in the week behind the blue door.

“It’s Philly Week! Let’s go!” Coughlin roared. “You guys should have been in here 30 minutes before me! You all should have been waiting on me!

“Because it’s Philly Week!”

It’s Eli Manning looking for a chance to win it in the fourth quarter. It’s Victor Cruz returning to the place where his fairy tale and his salsa began. It’s Osi Umenyiora and LeSean McCoy renewing hostilities. It’s Andre Brown and Ramses Barden aiming to open eyes again. It’s 60 minutes of hell." Read more...

Inside Perspective from a Giants' great

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...wz0QotdX3oLdYJ

The unique relationship between NFL players and the real officials, who may very well earn standing ovations today from the thankful gladiators themselves, can be illustrated

with a story from Giants Super Bowl XXI MVP Phil Simms, who thought Phil McConkey had been interfered with downfield by a Broncos defender.

“Jerry Markbreit was the referee,” Simms recalled. “I took my helmet off and slammed it on the ground. He said, ‘Phil, you understand the rules, right?’ I looked at him cross-eyed and said, ‘What are you talking about?’ He said, ‘If you threw it, it’s 15 yards. ... You dropped it, right? If you drop it, it’s not a penalty.'" Read more...

Nicks ruled out for Giants vs. Eagles with knee injury

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...1ow6gHfVcQY3vM

Excerpt: "The Giants will go with Domenik Hixon – who sat out the game in Carolina because of a concussion – and Ramses Barden as their two receiving options after Victor Cruz. Barden in his first career NFL start had a breakout performance against the Panthers, hauling in nine passes for 138 yards." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

Giants matchup: Philadelphia Eagles

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17...ia_Eagles.html

Excerpt: "What’s at stake

Giants: In what should be an ultra-competitive divisional race for the entire season, the Giants do not want to put themselves in an 0-2 hole. The defense played exceptionally well against Cam Newton and Carolina and now faces a multifaceted attack with similar tendencies. RB Ahmad Bradshaw is expected to start after missing the last game-and-a-half with an inflamed disk in his neck. RB Andre Brown (33 carries, 184 yards, 3 TDs) has played great in his absence and should provide a 1-2 punch. WR Hakeem Nicks (foot/knee) was downgraded to out Saturday and will miss his second straight game, so Eli Manning will look to spread the ball around again as he did against the Panthers. S Antrel Rolle (knee laceration/bruise) has started all 35 regular-season games since joining the Giants as a free agent in 2010. That is the second-longest streak on the team after Manning’s 122 consecutive starts. He returned to practice Friday and his presence – likely a game-time decision — will be key in a secondary that won’t have rookie CB Jayron Hosley and will have CB Corey Webster playing with a cast on his broken right hand." Read more...

Giants' Cruz returns to where his salsa began

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17...lsa_began.html

The anxiety of the moment began to overwhelm Victor Cruz as he raced untouched down the sideline with about 30 yards to go.

He already had bounced off one defender and immediately side-stepped another, but that was the easy part, his football instincts taking over following the biggest catch of his life.

Sure, the Paterson native would go on to make plenty more during his record-setting season with the Giants last year. But Cruz will never forget the significance of his third reception as a professional, and neither will the Eagles.As Giants coach Tom Coughlin suggested last week: "That’s where it all started." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS 101

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER.COM

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE

ESPN

Countdown Daily Prediction: Giants vs Eagles - VIDEO

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8432950

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

Giants' WR Hakeem Nicks ruled out for Eagles' game

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...or-eagles-game

Excerpt: "On Friday, Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was listed as doubtful ahead of Sunday night's matchup with the Eagles. A day later, he officially has been ruled out with what appears to be unanticipated swelling to his knee.

Which means quarterback Eli Manning instead must rely on wideouts Victor Cruz, Domenik Hixon, Ramses Bardenand Rueben Randle, and tight end Martellus Bennett. It's not reason enough to feel sorry for the Giants. Manning and the offense had little trouble with the Panthersin Week 3 despite a Nicks-less pass-catching corps. Barden led all receivers with nine receptions for 138 yards and Bennett added six catches for 73 yards. " Read more...

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-01-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Thanks as always RF, great way to have my first cup of coffee on gameday. Let's win this one!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

Thanks RF. GO BLUE!

thanks Roanoke!

happy for Will Hills accomplishments. lets hope he can keep it up and become a beast for Big Blue!

Veteran
    Thanks bro.

Lets pluck some feathers tonight!

Thanks Roanoke! Think we will see a little more of Will Hill tonight! Nice story!

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Thanks as always RF, great way to have my first cup of coffee on gameday. Let's win this one!!
    You're welcome. I hate these Sunday night games because we have to wait ALL DAY
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Thanks Roanoke! Think we will see a little more of Will Hill tonight! Nice story!
    He's the kind of guy you want to watch succeed

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Thanks bro.

Lets pluck some feathers tonight!
    Sounds like a plan

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    thanks Roanoke!

happy for Will Hills accomplishments. lets hope he can keep it up and become a beast for Big Blue!
    +1