+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Free Agency Next Year

Hey Guys,

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but here is my take. We have lots of free agents next year, and year in and year out we're up against the cap. This is pure speculative on my part but I think the key players to bring back would be Andre Brown and Martellus Bennett. (My disclaimer here is that they've flashed and it's only week 4) I know this. If the trend continues, (hopefully) we need to extend them. Beatty has been banged up and played poorly when he was in (see 2011) he did a great job the other night. This is a no brainer to me, he's the future. Keith Rivers, should be brought back (I know he's been injured etc. etc.) but this guy (when healthy) is Michael Boley 2.0, in my humble opinion.

Tynes will need to be resigned, nuff said.

Obviously KP and Cruz will need to be resigned, and here is where it could get tricky. I "think" our cap casualties next year will be, Canty, Diehl, Bradshaw (Andre Brown and Wilson's perforamance is dependant on this) and Osi. I know some of these guys aren't free agents and some are, regardless none of them return. I love everyone these guys, but to resign some other key specialty positions it won't work.

Hopefully Marvin steps up as he was drafted to replace Canty. Diehl has been a member of our oline for years and (overall) has played great. His age and ability's are waning these last few years. He'll be a casualty much like Kareem, O'hara and Ritchie were. We have Brewer waiting in the wings and it's time. I also feel we have to resign Boothe and Locklear. I've heard good things about Cordle as well, all need to be resigned.

Depending on Adrain Robinson’s development we would need to resign Pascoe as well.

I know it's a money game and KP and Cruz will demand tons on the open market, but letting these guys go, would almost be the equivalent of not re-signing Eli. (Not really) but you get my meaning.

I've read somewhere the some think Rolle will be a cap casualty but I disagree, he can re-structure his contract, and more specifically, they guy never misses games. He doesn't even miss practice (take out this week). You don't let durable guys like that (see Deon Grant) walk.

I know we have many other free agents I haven’t mentioned but I tried to pick the ones with direct impact to the team next year.

That's a solid analysis. In the end it will all come down to the cap situation and don't forget we need to find some help for the OL in free agency which will force the need to find even more $$. JR will figure it out but we may have to deal with losing a good player ane one that we like. It is the nature of the game today.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Restructuring a contract just pushes the money into the next season. Rolle is already due 7mil in 2013 and 2014. So if you halve next years salary, from 7 mil to 3.5 mil, then his final year of his contract goes from 7 mil to 10.5 mil.

Cruz is an RFA, so he can be tagged.

You forgot to mention TT because that joker ain't never going to see a dime of that money he will almost certainly be a cap causalty........Even when he was healthy he was getting beat all the time so why would the giants give him such a good contract. Oh yeah I forgot he's a great tackler s**t he has to be they always getting abusing him. This is his 3rd ACL injury and it has never been done to comeback and play.....God bless him but I think if he wants to continue his career it will have to be somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by CruzSoldier View Post
    You forgot to mention TT because that joker ain't never going to see a dime of that money he will almost certainly be a cap causalty........Even when he was healthy he was getting beat all the time so why would the giants give him such a good contract. Oh yeah I forgot he's a great tackler s**t he has to be they always getting abusing him. This is his 3rd ACL injury and it has never been done to comeback and play.....God bless him but I think if he wants to continue his career it will have to be somewhere else.
    Huh??????

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Huh??????
    It means he doesn't like Terrell Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by CruzSoldier View Post
    WOW, is there another TT?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    That's a solid analysis. In the end it will all come down to the cap situation and don't forget we need to find some help for the OL in free agency which will force the need to find even more $$. JR will figure it out but we may have to deal with losing a good player ane one that we like. It is the nature of the game today.
    Reese is a master at this but sometimes I wonder if there is a point when you just have to cry uncle and let someone go that you just know is going to hurt. Very nice analysis though
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Three knee injuries later, idk if T2 can come back..

Good Analysis but too early to tell. mostly because if injuries, we do not know who is going to be healthy at the end of the year. I doubt bradshaw will be a cap casualty. I do not thing its a contract year for him, he is a big part of the giants success even if stats do not always say that. Kenny Phillips is important but with will hill and hosley and prince, the problem is he likely will not have any numbers to show for his good play. Victor Cruz knows/ should know. That he can get more indorcement money and have more success here. He can roll the dice like steve smith and end up getting cut by the eagles or on a team with a terrible quarterback. No one is going to want to read his next book then "How I did not make the playoffs playing on the browns"