+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Coughlin's terrible clock management cost us this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Manning View Post
    The TIMEOUT had to be taken. It was 3rd and 1 or 5 (can't remember) from the Eagles 40 yard line and the play clock was running down close to zero. This is a spot where you can NOT afford to take a delay of game.
    I think Ragtime was talking more generally than this game particularly. Either way, his point is that we do tend to burn quite a few timeouts because we don't have enough time to get set at the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Yup. But, I don't think the time left was a clock management issue as much as it was a play selection issue.
    In the end, we came up short
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    In the end, we came up short
    In more ways than one, lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    it had nothing to do with clock management! Eli still managed to get the offense within range in plenty of time!

the timeouts were fine it was the refs bad call on Barden that contributed to losing the game imo!
    That wasn’t a bad call. Barden should have had the OPI called against him because he basically gaggle ****ed Ashamouga to stop him from picking off the bad throw from Eli.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantGremlin View Post
    Agreed, Barden mauled him right in front of the ref, and was an easy call to make, however the Giants would have been better off kicking the 45 yard FG instead of attempting such a risky play. You either go for short yardage so you clock it quickly, or just kick the FG and take your chances - anything else is too risky in that situation.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by shockeyisjesus View Post
    He took both timeouts when the Eagles had the ball on the OTHER SIDE of the two minute warning instead of taking them both before the two minute warning.Cost us an additional 15-20 seconds which we could have used to run 1 more play, get a little bit closer and make a closer field goal.Anyone with even half a brain who has played Madden once or twice in their lives knows you use the timeouts BEFORE the two minute warning in a goal line situation and not AFTER the two minute warning.Terrible clock management cost us this game more than the passing interference.Put the blame where it belongs folks!
    I don't know if you noticed, but there was a black unicorn running free in the Eagles secondary on the Barden opi play.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP=BEASTMODE View Post
    I don't know if you noticed, but there was a black unicorn running free in the Eagles secondary on the Barden opi play.
    They had to go to the sideline to stop the clock
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Coughlin alone did not LOSE us the game - all 53 did including the coaches. Thats said Tom almost always uses those TO's pre 2 minute warning and while many on here are just going crazy with the OP's side points - the point about taking those time outs pre 2 minute warning is a valid one. Yes more time would have helped - and we can certainly look at that going fwd - but to blame the loss on this alone is just not fair. Again it is valid and could have saved us time - and thats what we needed - but we can point to MANY other plays as well. Still for those who are willing to look at the giants without blinders it is a fair point. But my gosh - sometimes you also have to say - look - this is the guy who has won 2sb's and if he occasionally goes away from convention i will give him some slack because damned if he hasn't earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    They had to go to the sideline to stop the clock
    If Bennett caught the ball it would of easily been a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP=BEASTMODE View Post
    If Bennett caught the ball it would of easily been a TD.
    I doubt it. There was a safety that peeled off coverage from Bennett once the ball was thrown Barden's way.

+ Reply to Thread