+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coughlin's terrible clock management cost us this game!

What if we had been called for a defensive holding penalty or PI giving them a first down, you have to keep those timeouts on the other side just in case otherwise they could tun the clock down to zero. Just saying, at least we would have about a minute in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by shockeyisjesus View Post
    He took both timeouts when the Eagles had the ball on the OTHER SIDE of the two minute warning instead of taking them both before the two minute warning.

Cost us an additional 15-20 seconds which we could have used to run 1 more play, get a little bit closer and make a closer field goal.

Anyone with even half a brain who has played Madden once or twice in their lives knows you use the timeouts BEFORE the two minute warning in a goal line situation and not AFTER the two minute warning.

Terrible clock management cost us this game more than the passing interference.

Put the blame where it belongs folks!
    so did the 200 yards rushing by Philly. Oh yeah and the 257 yards passing. Oh yeah and the questionable decision to pass big when a 44 yarder was available to kick.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I feel that Coach Coughlin should have kicked the FG when they were at the 26yd line. It was well within Tyne's range. There really was no good reason to go for the HR in that situation.

The Eagles didn't win that game more than we just lost it. Hopefully this L doesn't come back to haunt us later in the yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morrison View Post
    Without going back and looking at the tape I think at the most they only lost 8 seconds by waiting for the 2 minute warning, either way, bad call going deep, wussy call not trying a quick one with 15 seconds to go.
    I don't know if 15 seconds is enough to complete a 5 or 10 yard pass and get the field goal team on the field and kick the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I don't know if 15 seconds is enough to complete a 5 or 10 yard pass and get the field goal team on the field and kick the ball.
    only if its an out of bounds play. if not you are done.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    only if its an out of bounds play. if not you are done.....
    Yeah, I think I saw a quote by Eli that says the threshold for getting the FG team out there with no timeouts is 17 or 18 seconds. And even then, that's cutting it very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Yeah, I think I saw a quote by Eli that says the threshold for getting the FG team out there with no timeouts is 17 or 18 seconds. And even then, that's cutting it very close.
    As hard as it was to swallow the loss, the time left was the issue. The play called was OK, but the execution failed.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by shockeyisjesus View Post
    He took both timeouts when the Eagles had the ball on the OTHER SIDE of the two minute warning instead of taking them both before the two minute warning.

Cost us an additional 15-20 seconds which we could have used to run 1 more play, get a little bit closer and make a closer field goal.

Anyone with even half a brain who has played Madden once or twice in their lives knows you use the timeouts BEFORE the two minute warning in a goal line situation and not AFTER the two minute warning.

Terrible clock management cost us this game more than the passing interference.

Put the blame where it belongs folks!
    I'm going through it, and I don't think that it saves much more than a couple of seconds. It also allows a defensive penalty to essentially end the game.

Quite honestly, I think if we're going to ***** about clock management, I think it would have been smarter to not use the last timeout before the FG and have 1:15 and a TO on the final drive.

Either way, clock management wasn't the issue. We actually got into FG quickly enough where we ran the ball once essentially to kill some clock (and inch a little closer). That pass play was just the perfect storm of crappiness.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    I'm sick of these Gilbride/Manning 1st and 3rd quarter timeouts when they don't like the D. It seems like nothing at the time, but while the half is running out, it can really come back to haunt you.

Just run the play. . .who knows, it might work. Or just take the 5 yards. . .timeouts are worth their weight in gold in a close game.
    The TIMEOUT had to be taken. It was 3rd and 1 or 5 (can't remember) from the Eagles 40 yard line and the play clock was running down close to zero. This is a spot where you can NOT afford to take a delay of game.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    As hard as it was to swallow the loss, the time left was the issue. The play called was OK, but the execution failed.
    Yup. But, I don't think the time left was a clock management issue as much as it was a play selection issue.

+ Reply to Thread