+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Osi Umenyiora says there's no counter for what offenses are doing ...

Osi Umenyiora says there's no counter for what offenses are doing to neutralize the Giants' pass rush

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Osi Umenyiora recorded a sack of Michael Vick Sunday, but it was just one of two on the night for the Giants and one Vick essentially surrendered to stay in bounds late in the fourth quarter.

The Eagles, Umenyiora said, countered the Giants pass rush like other teams have this season: by having the quarterback get rid of the ball quickly and providing more bodies in pass protection.

Umenyiora expressed concern when asked if there was an answer to the opposing offenses' strategy.

"There's really no counter for it, honestly," he said in an interview on ESPN Radio this afternoon. "Because if you blitz, obviously, we have some injuries in our secondary so you can't really commit too many people to a rush. If you don't do that then you're going to allow the teams to have more time because they're keeping more people in to protect." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

lol this is coming from a guy that was burned all night by Mccoy I believe in JPP and Tuck, Joseph and Bernard but not Osi not anymore I really can't wait till Rivers and Canty is healthy maybe they move Kiwi to D-line and have Osi come in on 3rd and longs that is the only time I want to see him on the field cause obviously he is out there just for sacks and not playing with in the scheme....sorry had to get that off my chest lol.

So how come other defenses were able to pick off Vick? How come they were able to sack him? Excuses, excuses..

Eli: "You actually caught a pass!"

I would think(this is just a guess)that the best way to counter this would be tackling the QB or RB as they run past you
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Osi should just really shut up cause our secondary wasn't the problem on Sunday it was the defensive line especially him...... how you hold MCcoy to 2 yards in the 1st half and let him go off for 121 in the 2nd is disgraceful. Quick passes??? Vick was back in the pocket all day...

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    lol this is coming from a guy that was burned all night by Mccoy I believe in JPP and Tuck, Joseph and Bernard but not Osi not anymore I really can't wait till Rivers and Canty is healthy maybe they move Kiwi to D-line and have Osi come in on 3rd and longs that is the only time I want to see him on the field cause obviously he is out there just for sacks and not playing with in the scheme....sorry had to get that off my chest lol.
    Typical Osi hater! You believe in Tuck?? Well he has been a ghost this year.

They both have had bad seasons. If you want to bash Osi, that's fine, but at least be fair about it.

[QUOTE=Eliscruzzz;515391]Osi should just really shut up cause our secondary wasn't the problem on Sunday it was the defensive line especially him...... how you hold MCcoy to 2 yards in the 1st half and let him go off for 121 in the 2nd is disgraceful. Quick passes??? Vick was back in the pocket all day...[/QUOTE

It's hard to imagine him saying this. If that's how he really feels, does that translate into "why bother hustling"?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    I wrote this in another post but Osi is right. The only way to counter the quick pass is to play man 2-deep bump and run or to go single high safety and blitz up the middle. However, without the depth and experience at corner, you can't blitz.

well too be honest, i dont like how we are always playing off tech. 8 yds off the wr is gonna leave those short routes open. i think PF would rather give that up, than to be burned over the top ala week 1.

but at some point, u have to trust the guys to jam and reroute the wr's. thats what works vs us and we have excellent wr's/qb. so i have to assume it could work if we do it. we did it late last year and we saw how the D transformed.

prince and web should be playing more press to try and disrupt those short routes the qb cant get rid of it with the timing they practice, which leads to sacks. that'd be one way i'd think we could get after the qb, short pass and all

but whats especially burning us is when opposing offenses throw those short passes but the wr breaks a tackle or turns a corner on a defender who took a bad angle and 8 yds turns into 14 ala week 1 to close the game