+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Captain

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by burier View Post
    I'd say effort and leadership go hand and hand and Tuck is a halfassed player. How many times is he gonna miss the the ball carrier and then walk around behind the play as it unfolds.

Its not just the coaches who see that. The players see it to and at that point you either are given the impression that its ok to give up on plays since Cap is doing it. Or you tune Cap out all together.
    The way you describe him, he's a liability on the field. If that were true, those coaches you just mentioned, wouldn't keep him on the field - but he still plays a lot of snaps. Are the coaches idiots? Fans on the message board know more than they do without even being on the practice field or being involved with the teams day-to-day activities throughout the week?

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    The way you describe him, he's a liability on the field. If that were true, those coaches you just mentioned, wouldn't keep him on the field - but he still plays a lot of snaps. Are the coaches idiots? Fans on the message board know more than they do without even being on the practice field or being involved with the teams day-to-day activities throughout the week?
    I don't know. Maybe the coaches see something I don't see. But my eyes tell me the more Tuck plays the worse off we are.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

He is still a solid player.......It would not be a good thing to strip him of his captaincy

He might play worse

To me Rolle, despite his physical shortcomings is now the verbal leader out there

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    He is still a solid player.......It would not be a good thing to strip him of his captaincy

He might play worse

To me Rolle, despite his physical shortcomings is now the verbal leader out there
    from a fans perspective we dont really get to see who the verbal leader is. They dont show that stuff very often. Its either not happening or they keep it from the media. I assume its the latter.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Fee-fi-fo-fum View Post
    We all know who the captain is. Anyone think the role should go to someone else? If so, who and why?
    I can't think of a more meaningless title in sports!
    Jack Sparrow could be the Captain for all it's worth.
    Who the captain is has no bearing on what they do on the field.
    Making someone else DC is going to magically make them rush the QB better, or defend a pass or stop a run? It's ludicrous!
    Last edited by bigblue58; 10-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    I can't think of a more meaningless title in sports!
    I don't care if Jack Sparrow is the Captain...who the captain is has no bearing on what they do on the field.
    Making someone else DC is going to make them rush the QB better?
    Uhhh...yeah.

I don't know where you got the idea that the captain has no bearing on what happens on the field. If that were true no one would bother selecting a captain in the first place. The captain sets the tone in practice and on the field. The captain demands accountability. The problem is..when the captain takes games off he loses his authority.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by burier View Post
    Uhhh...yeah.

I don't know where you got the idea that the captain has no bearing on what happens on the field. If that were true no one would bother selecting a captain in the first place. The captain sets the tone in practice and on the field. The captain demands accountability. The problem is..when the captain takes games off he loses his authority.
    Unless the Defensive Captain is issued magic underwear that gives him super powers....yes....I maintain that it's meaningless and has zero, zip, zilch bearing on anything!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    Unless the Defensive Captain is issued magic underwear that gives him super powers....yes....I maintain that it's meaningless and has zero, zip, zilch bearing on anything!
    the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[QUOTE=GameTime;516848]the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.[/QUOTE

The only Defensive player qualified to be Captain......and the only one who SHOULD BE Captain, is the one with the dot on his helmet calling out the defensive plays!
    Anyone other than THAT guy being Captian is irrelevan to the performance on the field.
    These guys are men in the NFL, not members of the Racoon Lodge.....motivation should come from within!

Why do we insist on applying childish terms to grown men in the NFL? If they still need a "Captain" to give them incentive, motivation and someone to look up to, they're in the wrong league.
    Last edited by bigblue58; 10-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.

[QUOTE=bigblue58;516880]
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.[/QUOTE

The only Defensive player qualified to be Captain......and the only one who SHOULD BE Captain, is the one with the dot on his helmet calling out the defensive plays!
    thats makes little sense because its usually the MLB who does that. Thats a position requirement not an elected team issue...

+ Reply to Thread