+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jernigan

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    It is true. Not only do you have to train physically at a whole different level in the NFL but with the Giants, you have to master a very complicated read and react route running package. Manningham, despite his enormous gifts, never got it completely. Jernigan and Randle are still struggling to get that part of it. Not much different from RB who better not fumble and darn well better protect the QB. If a WR is making the wrong reads, he will sit on this team. It doesn't mean they won't get it and it doesn't even mean they are not working hard. It just means that they aren't grasping the essentials of route running to play for us.
    +1
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by 45Jones View Post
    If I remember right, Mario Manningham didn't hardly see the field at all during his first season, and still had route running struggles and dropsies as he worked his way into the lineup in the season after that.
    True, but Manningham's second season finished to be MM's 2nd best season of his career. At this point in his second season Mario had at least 2 good games including at least 1 TD (vs Redskins and Cowboys that I remember).

So far this, his second season, Jernigan has not even had his his feet in the field of play for more than a handful of snaps, and that's including 1 game without 2 of our 6 WRs. That should tell you something about Gilbride' and Eli's trust in Jernigan. Virtually nil.

Add the fact that 2 rookies--Wilson and Randle-- have had many return opportunities this season (and have done well with those opportunities) while Jernigan has not, and what does that leave Jernigan with to do? He's on extremely thin ice right now, make no mistake.

A lot has been made on this board about comparing Jernigan's slow start to that of Barden. But what is forgotten with that comparison is that in Barden's 2nd year he had some snaps, culminating in a very decent game vs Cowboys before he went on IR for the second half of season due to injury in that same Cowboys game. Then, his 3rd season (last year) he was on PUP for half the year before getting some snaps late in the year. Jernigan does not have the injury excuse.

I was always a fan of Barden and I knew that it would take him time to assimilate into the Pro offense, it paid off. I am also a fan of Jernigan, the kid has talent I think the Giant's see that as well and will continue to work with him. I hope that we get to see him this weekend if Barden can't go!

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    It is true. Not only do you have to train physically at a whole different level in the NFL but with the Giants, you have to master a very complicated read and react route running package. Manningham, despite his enormous gifts, never got it completely. Jernigan and Randle are still struggling to get that part of it. Not much different from RB who better not fumble and darn well better protect the QB. If a WR is making the wrong reads, he will sit on this team. It doesn't mean they won't get it and it doesn't even mean they are not working hard. It just means that they aren't grasping the essentials of route running to play for us.
    Well put.

The fact that Jernigan hasn't been able to get on the field with all of the injuries we've had at WR says a lot about what the coaches think of his ability to contribute at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
    Well put.

The fact that Jernigan hasn't been able to get on the field with all of the injuries we've had at WR says a lot about what the coaches think of his ability to contribute at this point.
    +1.....

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he even played one down in the Carolina game. The Giants were blowing out the Panthers and they didn't even give him a play at the end. I don't know if it's work ethic, or he's still not grasping the playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboysSuck View Post
    Jernigan wasn't as a high a pick as randle. That and the fact the Jernigan hasn't done squat tells me he isn't the player we thought we drafted. It happens.
    They were 20 picks apart. A late 2nd and a middling 3rd is the same quality of player

+ Reply to Thread