+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Why the Nicks injury is actually a positive

I want Nicks out there as much as anybody (he's killing my fantasy team), but in the long run I think this is a positive.

If Nicks had a monster year he would be in line for a HUGE contract. He would probably be looking for something just short of Larry Fitz money. Given the Giants have to take care of Cruz with JPP (highest paid defender ever?) on the horizon, I don't know if they would have sprung for that. Now Nicks can't possibly expect a monster contract mainly because of his injury history. Certainly he is due a raise, but it shouldn't be a cap-crippling contract. This way we can keep both Cruz and Nicks for years to come.

its true. that is one small positive that comes from this.

but i dont think nicks is as hurt as some (buddy) around here say. i'd bet he returns for the SF game. pretty much every nfl player would aggravate their knees if they went from strict rest all week, to full bore on gamedays...he'll be alright. but that is a good bargaining chip altho it could also work against us bc Nicks could believe he is worth x amount of dollars and JR believes he's worth y amount, and JR wont overpay for any FA from his past dealings...so...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    its true. that is one small positive that comes from this.

but i dont think nicks is as hurt as some (buddy) around here say. i'd bet he returns for the SF game. pretty much every nfl player would aggravate their knees if they went from strict rest all week, to full bore on gamedays...he'll be alright. but that is a good bargaining chip altho it could also work against us bc Nicks could believe he is worth x amount of dollars and JR believes he's worth y amount, and JR wont overpay for any FA from his past dealings...so...
    If JR didn't find a way to resign Nicks he'd be looking for a job himself.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat76 View Post
    I want Nicks out there as much as anybody (he's killing my fantasy team), but in the long run I think this is a positive.

If Nicks had a monster year he would be in line for a HUGE contract. He would probably be looking for something just short of Larry Fitz money. Given the Giants have to take care of Cruz with JPP (highest paid defender ever?) on the horizon, I don't know if they would have sprung for that. Now Nicks can't possibly expect a monster contract mainly because of his injury history. Certainly he is due a raise, but it shouldn't be a cap-crippling contract. This way we can keep both Cruz and Nicks for years to come.
    When the time comes I guarantee you Nicks (if he recovers fully from what nags him now and avoids further more significant injuries) gets more than Cruz. If Cruz is agreeable to that because he is more endorseable (off the field endorsements) than Nicks then the Giants will hopefully be able to find a way to keep them both.
    Last edited by repeatchamps; 10-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat76 View Post

Didn't the Giants throw a bunch of money a T2? (I know there were outs written into the contract but we shouldn't have offered him a copper penny)

The Giants are willy nilly with their money which is why we're always in cap hell.

And Nicks is gonna want that Larry Fitz money regardless. A swollen knee and a broken bone in the foot does not translate to an injury risk on the open market.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by burier View Post
    Didn't the Giants throw a bunch of money a T2? (I know there were outs written into the contract but we shouldn't have offered him a copper penny)

The Giants are willy nilly with their money which is why we're always in cap hell.

And Nicks is gonna want that Larry Fitz money regardless. A swollen knee and a broken bone in the foot does not translate to an injury risk on the open market.
    No, Giants are always tight against the cap because they have a bunch of talented players.

Usually the teams with a bunch of cap space are those devoid of talent.

The only player that we'll pretty much HAVE to give a new contract to next season will be Cruz b/c he's essentially playing on a UDFA contract right now.

Nicks I think still has one more year after this contract (usually 1st rounders sign for 5 years) and JPP I believe still has two years. They're both being payed like 1st rounders so they're not exactly going poor.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    No, Giants are always tight against the cap because they have a bunch of talented players.

Usually the teams with a bunch of cap space are those devoid of talent.

The only player that we'll pretty much HAVE to give a new contract to next season will be Cruz b/c he's essentially playing on a UDFA contract right now.

Nicks I think still has one more year after this contract (usually 1st rounders sign for 5 years) and JPP I believe still has two years. They're both being payed like 1st rounders so they're not exactly going poor.
    There is no way the Giants let JPP get to the final year of his deal without a new one being done. No way. If there is one guy the Giants break the bank for it's JPP. A 23 year-old All-Pro D-Lineman who many consider the best in the game. I wish I was his agent.

All-Pro
    Here is nothing good that can come from losing a top 5 WR. Tell us this if they miss the playoffs or lose another divisional game and he is in the bench.

All-Pro
    I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.
    Agree with this. IMO they will offer him something similar to what they offered smith after his monster year, adjusted for inflation of course. That is, if they can find the cap room.