+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Nicks injury is actually a positive

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.
    That's free agency in a nutshell
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by burier View Post
    Didn't the Giants throw a bunch of money a T2? (I know there were outs written into the contract but we shouldn't have offered him a copper penny)

The Giants are willy nilly with their money which is why we're always in cap hell.

And Nicks is gonna want that Larry Fitz money regardless. A swollen knee and a broken bone in the foot does not translate to an injury risk on the open market.
    No, Giants are always tight against the cap because they have a bunch of talented players.

Usually the teams with a bunch of cap space are those devoid of talent.

The only player that we'll pretty much HAVE to give a new contract to next season will be Cruz b/c he's essentially playing on a UDFA contract right now.

Nicks I think still has one more year after this contract (usually 1st rounders sign for 5 years) and JPP I believe still has two years. They're both being payed like 1st rounders so they're not exactly going poor.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNYGiants View Post
    This is just a wishful thinking of a fan, Nicks will get his money, Giants would be fools to expect a discount deal out of Nicks. I only hope that FO would not think too little of Nicks and let him go and think they'll find another Nicks right away or something, Nicks is one of those WRs who only comes around once a decade.
    Lets not get crazy here. He's not a once in a decade talent. He is a very good player but not transcendant. He hasn't broken 1200 yards recieving once (Cruz hit 1500 last year alone) in part because of his injuries. And the injuries will count at contract time. The Giants may franchise him or perhaps he gets Desean Jackson money but if he misses most of this year there is no way they break the bank for him.

Bench Player
    Depending on how Barden and Randle progress this year,I believe will give the Giants there bargaining tool.If the two start to shine in this system I believe they will pay Cruz and maybe not low ball Nicks but not offer him what he believes he is worth because of his injury problems.This will give them leverage over Nicks,He probly will walk if he is not paid top receiver dollar,and as the past has shown most x Giants do not flourish in other systems.Although ther is some exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    No, Giants are always tight against the cap because they have a bunch of talented players.

Usually the teams with a bunch of cap space are those devoid of talent.

The only player that we'll pretty much HAVE to give a new contract to next season will be Cruz b/c he's essentially playing on a UDFA contract right now.

Nicks I think still has one more year after this contract (usually 1st rounders sign for 5 years) and JPP I believe still has two years. They're both being payed like 1st rounders so they're not exactly going poor.
    There is no way the Giants let JPP get to the final year of his deal without a new one being done. No way. If there is one guy the Giants break the bank for it's JPP. A 23 year-old All-Pro D-Lineman who many consider the best in the game. I wish I was his agent.

We aren't going to let Nicks go don't worry. Phillips may be lost next year. Osi will be gone. T2 was only gauranteed 1 million from us, all of the other money was incentives and bonuses based on performance. So we aren't wasting or losing any money on T2. Nicks and Cruz are our 2 biggest signing priorities for the next 2 years. No shot we let either go, Reese knows this.

Bennett is extremely happy in NY. We signed him for 1 year and so far I like what I see from him. He'll resign for a discount because of the fact NY suits his lifestyle very well. He is a perfect example of a player who's potential was exposed thanks to Eli.

I predict he will get somewhere in the ball park of V-Jax. He loves the organization. The only place I could see him jetsetting to is the Panthers because of his family. He's a father first.

We can't compare his career to Fitz because Fitz has put together spectacular seasons with garbage QB's AND never gets hurt. Injuries year in and year out do make a difference, no matter what anyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat76 View Post
    Lets not get crazy here. He's not a once in a decade talent. He is a very good player but not transcendant. He hasn't broken 1200 yards recieving once (Cruz hit 1500 last year alone) in part because of his injuries. And the injuries will count at contract time. The Giants may franchise him or perhaps he gets Desean Jackson money but if he misses most of this year there is no way they break the bank for him.
    Dude did you watch the playoffs last year????? Nicks is a top 5 talent and only person that had a better playoff run was Fitz he is going to asked for Fitz kind of money...and the only reason why he hasn't hit the 1200 yard mark is he was injured like two games a year.... I don't think the Giants will let him walk cause they know how critical he is to Eli he is not SS this time it works both ways qb need wr and wr needs qb...I'm think he gets a deal like 5 years 40 million maybe more.......

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.
    I just hope it does not turn out to be another Steve Smith affair.

Cruz benefited last season from defenses focusing on Nicks. He's still producing this season without him, but just like any top receiver should. If Hakeem Nicks is on the field the defense had to account for him and it just makes Eli's reads that much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat76 View Post
    Lets not get crazy here. He's not a once in a decade talent.
    Name a better receiver the Giants have had in the modern era than Hakeem Nicks. The short list might include Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard, and Chris Calloway. Tiki Barber is the third leading receiver in Giants history and he was a running back. Nicks is more talented than any of those players and worth every dollar he asks for in my opinion.
    http://nashvillegman.hubpages.com/hu...ardage-Leaders

How many receivers have the Giants miffed on? Tim Carter, Sinorice Moss, and then going back to Joe Jurevicius, Ron Dixon, Thomas Lewis, even Ike Hilliard didn't pan out to be anything more than solid. The jury is still out on Ramses Barden, Jerrel Jernigan, and Rueben Randle though none has done anything much as of yet and they could easily be added onto that list.

Toomer, Nicks, and perhaps Manningham are only players drafted by the New York Giants to actually produce to expectations.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../nyg/draft.htm

+ Reply to Thread