+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Defensive Pressure rankings from 2011

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...-plays-defense

I think we tied for second in the league with 48 sacks last year, but sacks don't tell the whole story in regards to how consistent we were at annoying the opposing QB. According to this, we were ranked closer to the bottom than top.

our DL sucked most of the reg season aside from JPP. we all know that would be the statistical outcome.

whats so troubling is the DE's are again playing like crap opposed to how they looked on our dominant run

These STATS are all wrong... Giants are the best. All homerism aside.

Veteran
    Shows we're ranked #2 when we actually get pressure on the QB, ranked #22 when we don't. It sort of reinforces what I already know, that when Perry sits back on the 3 or 4 man rush with no blitz it tends to not yield results in our favor. One thing about it is that there isnt a single team that yields more yards per pass with pressure than without. So it reinforces my belief that we should be applying pressure on all plays, I hate the sitting back and giving a QB time to find someone open. Another thing to note from those stats which further pushes this point. The Giants have the largest differential between yards per play with pressure vs yards per play without pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by bg79 View Post
    Shows we're ranked #2 when we actually get pressure on the QB, ranked #22 when we don't. It sort of reinforces what I already know, that when Perry sits back on the 3 or 4 man rush with no blitz it tends to not yield results in our favor. One thing about it is that there isnt a single team that yields more yards per pass with pressure than without. So it reinforces my belief that we should be applying pressure on all plays, I hate the sitting back and giving a QB time to find someone open. Another thing to note from those stats which further pushes this point. The Giants have the largest differential between yards per play with pressure vs yards per play without pressure.
    Agreed....we should be rushing 5 guys when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bg79 View Post
    I'm specifically hoping both Prince and Hosley can play. PF sends blitzers more often when his secondary is healthy and doesn't need linebacker help. Also he at least seems to get the message on not telegraphing your moves to the offense (like that Stevie blitz last week, I didn't see that coming)...

Also, it's more important to send more guys when the offense is using more max protect. The Eagles would constantly keep 2 TE's in to block (sometimes Celek would roll out of this formation as a checkdown option), along with the FB blocking as well. We could have 4 JPP clones lined up on our D-line, and still not be able to pressure the QB against all that. When max protect comes in, you HAVE to blitz. Linebackers have to realize that if they're covering a TE in man coverage and that TE stays in to block, they have to rush as well. Chase at least seems to get the message...

In all honesty, the base Nascar scheme seems to have a counter with these max protect schemes. Honestly at this point, it would almost be nice to sprinkle some 3-4 ideology on this package: line up the extra pass rushers at OLB positions instead of replacing DT's with DE's, and let the line open up holes for these LB. Just pure theory, but if the nascar has been figured out, we need to find a new way to rush the passer on 3rd and long...
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 10-04-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

The real story is in the Win and Loss column. Right now we are in the middle of the pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I'm specifically hoping both Prince and Hosley can play. PF sends blitzers more often when his secondary is healthy and doesn't need linebacker help. Also he at least seems to get the message on not telegraphing your moves to the offense (like that Stevie blitz last week, I didn't see that coming)...

Also, it's more important to send more guys when the offense is using more max protect. The Eagles would constantly keep 2 TE's in to block (sometimes Celek would roll out of this formation as a checkdown option), along with the FB blocking as well. We could have 4 JPP clones lined up on our D-line, and still not be able to pressure the QB against all that. When max protect comes in, you HAVE to blitz. Linebackers have to realize that if they're covering a TE in man coverage and that TE stays in to block, they have to rush as well. Chase at least seems to get the message...

In all honesty, the base Nascar scheme seems to have a counter with these max protect schemes. Honestly at this point, it would almost be nice to sprinkle some 3-4 ideology on this package: line up the extra pass rushers at OLB positions instead of replacing DT's with DE's, and let the line open up holes for these LB. Just pure theory, but if the nascar has been figured out, we need to find a new way to rush the passer on 3rd and long...

They should bring in more safety blitzes or even corner blitzes. Maybe pull in a safety closer to the line and have them sitting behind the Mike. From the perspective on the field it should hide the safety and once the D-line engages the block, the safety should be able to slip in. The other DB's are going to have to cover tight.

The defensive unit though definitely needs a new look. Some stunts, misdirections, movement...something to disguise coverage and blitzes.

Hell, maybe a zone blitz to confuse the bad guys.
    Last edited by Rat_bastich; 10-05-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Veteran
    They just need more blitzes of any type. The disparity between the success of when we apply pressure and when we don't is the largest in the league and that should be telling to Fewell. The problem is he doesnt seem to realize it and plays soft way more often than not (80% of the time according to those stats).

Banned
    How is PF going to send blitzes when we have our 4th and 5th string corners in the backfield? Remember what happened in Tampa with Vincent Jackson? The fact of the matter is our defensive ends are healthy, and they are supposedly the strongest unit on the team, yet they haven't done anything this season. Chase Blackburn leads this team in sacks which speaks for itself. Our defense is built to get a rush with 4, no matter what people think, we are not a 3-4 and we do not send someone on every play. PF sends the blitz often enough considering how banged up our backfield is.