+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    How is PF going to send blitzes when we have our 4th and 5th string corners in the backfield? Remember what happened in Tampa with Vincent Jackson? The fact of the matter is our defensive ends are healthy, and they are supposedly the strongest unit on the team, yet they haven't done anything this season. Chase Blackburn leads this team in sacks which speaks for itself. Our defense is built to get a rush with 4, no matter what people think, we are not a 3-4 and we do not send someone on every play. PF sends the blitz often enough considering how banged up our backfield is.
    Whats better for a depleted secondary? Giving an opposing QB all the time in the world to pick them apart, or getting some pressure on that QB to force him into making mistakes? I just don't get that mentality that our secondary is crap so we therefore can't blitz. The statistical evidence is overwhelming that our team does significantly better when we pressure the QB as opposed to not pressuring them. It's a no brainer to send an extra body or two regardless if it's considered risky. To me it's riskier to just let a QB have enough time to find the inevitable open receiver/s.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bg79 View Post
    Whats better for a depleted secondary? Giving an opposing QB all the time in the world to pick them apart, or getting some pressure on that QB to force him into making mistakes? I just don't get that mentality that our secondary is crap so we therefore can't blitz. The statistical evidence is overwhelming that our team does significantly better when we pressure the QB as opposed to not pressuring them. It's a no brainer to send an extra body or two regardless if it's considered risky. To me it's riskier to just let a QB have enough time to find the inevitable open receiver/s.
    Yup any QB in the league is going to find a man after 7-8 seconds. Need to bring it home once every 10 or so plays.
    Nothing more frustrating than getting sack and then sending a 3 man rush so they convert on 3rd and 17, UGH!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bg79 View Post
    And if they don't get there, its a TD for the offense because of who we have in our defensive backfield. It isn't a smart decision to leave Coe or Tryon alone on the outside because any opposing QB with half a brain who knows how to read a defense will just throw it to whoever they are covering. Anyway, you clearly didn't read what I wrote because I didn't say we shouldn't blitz at all, I said I think we have been blitzing enough. The pressure just hasn't been there, and that falls on our front four. Our pass rush isn't going to be there until they start to perform better, blitzing more won't solve the problem, at best it is a temporary fix.

It's funny how fans get upset at PF for not blitzing enough then get upset when our secondary gets toasted when the rush doesn't get there. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    And if they don't get there, its a TD for the offense because of who we have in our defensive backfield. It isn't a smart decision to leave Coe or Tryon alone on the outside because any opposing QB with half a brain who knows how to read a defense will just throw it to whoever they are covering. Anyway, you clearly didn't read what I wrote because I didn't say we shouldn't blitz at all, I said I think we have been blitzing enough. The pressure just hasn't been there, and that falls on our front four. Our pass rush isn't going to be there until they start to perform better, blitzing more won't solve the problem, at best it is a temporary fix.

It's funny how fans get upset at PF for not blitzing enough then get upset when our secondary gets toasted when the rush doesn't get there. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I don't know what Giants team you're watching but we do not blitz enough. PF relies way too much on a 4 or in some cases just a 3 man rush to get the job done. More often than not it fails as is easily predictable. Also, if he is blitzing and the pressure is not getting to the QB that falls on his shoulders as that is in many ways scheme dependent.

I'll just admit though, I just flat out don't like the style of defense Perry Fewell runs. For some reason he decided to show us a completely different defense that was aggressive in the Playoffs and it was absolutely fantastic, I was loving it. But his regular season defense which we've seen much more of than his playoff d is this boring safe crap that yields little results.