+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Defending The Quick Slant

    The Giants defensive approach - where they rely on the front-four to disrupt things - has been seemingly easily nullified with a quick-pass, west coast style. I have read where at least one player has stated that there is nothing they can do about it, but I see our opposition jumping quick slants or occupying those lanes against Eli frequently. What is preventing us from using our OLBs to take away the quick slant and forcing the QB to hold onto the ball longer?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fee-fi-fo-fum View Post
    The Giants defensive approach - where they rely on the front-four to disrupt things - has been seemingly easily nullified with a quick-pass, west coast style. I have read where at least one player has stated that there is nothing they can do about it, but I see our opposition jumping quick slants or occupying those lanes against Eli frequently. What is preventing us from using our OLBs to take away the quick slant and forcing the QB to hold onto the ball longer?
    I dont think there's anything preventing us from doing that, but I think it makes the D susceptable to the TE pass over the LB's.
    warm salsa

  3. #3
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,720
    What Osi was talking about teams nullifying our rush is not only are teams using quick passes, but they are also, and this is what I think he was really talking about, doubling or chipping the ends. There really isn't much they can do against that scheme-wise. The only thing to do is try and beat the double.

  4. #4
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    I dont think there's anything preventing us from doing that, but I think it makes the D susceptable to the TE pass over the LB's.
    If you keep dropping the LBs into the slant lanes, you also soften the middle of your defense against the run.

    And honestly, it isn't like we never take away slant lanes (save for the freaking Dallas game).

    However, it is very difficult to defend against 3 step drops. The rush generally doesn't have time to get there. It really falls to the defenders to have nice, tight coverage.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    If you keep dropping the LBs into the slant lanes, you also soften the middle of your defense against the run.

    And honestly, it isn't like we never take away slant lanes (save for the freaking Dallas game).

    However, it is very difficult to defend against 3 step drops. The rush generally doesn't have time to get there. It really falls to the defenders to have nice, tight coverage.
    absolutely - 3 step drop and playing off the receivers = marching downfield on the NYG at will.
    warm salsa

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    What Osi was talking about teams nullifying our rush is not only are teams using quick passes, but they are also, and this is what I think he was really talking about, doubling or chipping the ends. There really isn't much they can do against that scheme-wise. The only thing to do is try and beat the double.
    Then our push up the middle should be getting it done and/or a blitzer should come free. Set the weak-side OLB in the slant lane, wait 2 seconds, and bring him. I understand PF don't wanna blitz much, but ya got counter their counter. When an offense goes west-coast on us or starts doubling the ends, WE are calling the shots. We gotta keep the pressure on.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    absolutely - 3 step drop and playing off the receivers = marching downfield on the NYG at will.
    Yeah, this..

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Fee-fi-fo-fum View Post
    Then our push up the middle should be getting it done and/or a blitzer should come free. Set the weak-side OLB in the slant lane, wait 2 seconds, and bring him. I understand PF don't wanna blitz much, but ya got counter their counter. When an offense goes west-coast on us or starts doubling the ends, WE are calling the shots. We gotta keep the pressure on.
    Completely agree. They counter guys like Chase with this. Smart and great vs run, but not fast enough to make a play on a decent rec or TE getting a slant. So we should blitzing enough that we have chances of stopping this dink and dunk once in a while at least (every 5 plays and bring the house every 10-15, obivously depending upon situations). Beats letting teams run up and down the field all day, even if we get beat for a 20 yarder once in while (which we are anyway).

    I'm a big fan of blitzing heavy while the other team in closer to their end zone. Why give them 5 free plays to get down near our endzone before we do anything a little more radical (if we do anything different at all). We have to taske chances. Might get burned big, but that is better to me than bleeding to death by small cuts.

    Bottom line is we have to diguise and mix it up. For whatever reason, we don't have a complete enough D to play vanella anymore.
    Last edited by OX1; 10-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.

  9. #9
    Veteran Rat_bastich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    2,646
    The problem lies in the opposing receivers taking a short pass for a long gain. Sometimes no one seems to be in the area. If you can keep the middle flooded, players will still make their catches but will not get any gains. It also means that tackles have to be made and players have to get to the ball to prevent YAC. But as said before that sets us up to be ran on and Richardson isn't a slouch. Also, a long pass will kill the defense if they plan on a quick slant and it's a long bomb with the corner on an island and no over the top safety help.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    The problem lies in the opposing receivers taking a short pass for a long gain. Sometimes no one seems to be in the area. If you can keep the middle flooded, players will still make their catches but will not get any gains. It also means that tackles have to be made and players have to get to the ball to prevent YAC. But as said before that sets us up to be ran on and Richardson isn't a slouch. Also, a long pass will kill the defense if they plan on a quick slant and it's a long bomb with the corner on an island and no over the top safety help.
    Mug the receivers for the whole 5 yards. Not a bump, rush them like you would on a line.
    Take some penalties even if the alternative is going to be a 7 yard pass that is a 20 yard gain
    anyway, over and over and over. I'd rather get killed playing fast and loose, than die slow playing
    scared every week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts