+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants' Andre Brown can run, but he can't block

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    and......

Roger Craig only caught 16 in college and went on to become the most prolific NFL receiver out of the backfield in its history

You have to throw a few his way to make this determination.....he caught quite a few in college

I'm just trying to see if we can get him in to space from the LOS......its worth a try

I agree with you and there's a time and a place for that. He's had limited chances because he has fumbled and dropped a pass. He's a rookie, he will be a great back for us when he develops
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i dunno bout that, he hasnt really had an attempt in the backfield. that shovel play was more like a play action screen at the LOS...he did have that real nice reception vs chicago in the preseason. besides those, he's had a couple drops but iirc, when he was lined up out wide...

its kinda funny. its like the chicken or the egg, some people want a rb to get the majority of carries to see what they can produce while others are saying they want to see him get 100 yds vs a good defense before they give him the majority of the carries. like lol, the only way a rb is gonna catch passes out of the backfield, or run for 100 yds, is if u give em a chance. imo we've give bradshaw tons of chances/opportunities...and he hasnt won everyone over, and thats bc of his play not winning everyone over...maybe its time someone else get the shot bradshaw got
    True and that's been Brown so far.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by CowboysSuck View Post
    Either they suck at blocking, which is inherently up to coaching (ala their faults) or they really dont and are just giving fluffy answers to excuse themselves of playing favorites
    Totally agree. Coughlin needs to do what's best for team and not someone's ego.

Veteran
    You guys are funny. It's the coaches fault? How so? They aren't covering pass protection with the RB's in practice? The physical aspect of it is easier for them to coach because they can watch the guy block in practice and let him know what he's doing wrong technique wise. The mental stuff, like knowing the playbook and understanding blitz pick up etc. is more on the player's ability to recognize what's going happening on the other side of the LOS.

Fans are being made aware of this now, but I'm pretty sure the owners and Reese know about this stuff from interacting with coaches through out the day-to-day team activities. So if our 100 million dollar QB gets hurt because of a blown assignment by a work-in-progress RB, Coughlin will take a lot of heat and look incompetent. I'm sure the staff wants Brown on the field as much as possible because he has been an efficient runner, but he's gotta help himself get on the field more.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    You guys are funny. It's the coaches fault? How so? They aren't covering pass protection with the RB's in practice? The physical aspect of it is easier for them to coach because they can watch the guy block in practice and let him know what he's doing wrong technique wise. The mental stuff, like knowing the playbook and understanding blitz pick up etc. is more on the player's ability to recognize what's going happening on the other side of the LOS.

Fans are being made aware of this now, but I'm pretty sure the owners and Reese know about this stuff from interacting with coaches through out the day-to-day team activities. So if our 100 million dollar QB gets hurt because of a blown assignment by a work-in-progress RB, Coughlin will take a lot of heat and look incompetent. I'm sure the staff wants Brown on the field as much as possible because he has been an efficient runner, but he's gotta help himself get on the field more.
    Now you're just being silly. To think the coaches could know anything more than we fans is, well just silly.

Both Wilson and Brown have acknowledged they have to do better and .in Wilson's case, he's a rookie. There is a reason Brown has been on a number of teams without latching on. I like both of them and I think, at this moment in time, Brown has proven he can run with the ball without fumbling. Wilson has given us a return game we haven't seen since Jesus was a corporal. To say they're not being used is inaccurate. The have talents that the coaches are putting to use as they develop their shortcomings.

And for some to suggest that the coaches placing a high priority on protecting Eli is bad planning, aren't old enough to remember the truly dark days of this franchise.

The best offensive performances - both rushing and passing - came with Andre Brown in the backfield.

I'm not sure what's been going on in practices, but a 2-0 record with Bradshaw out of the game tells me the pass protection held up.

Frankly, I think Gilbride helped to lose this game.....but again, as his record shows, he is awful against the Eagles. Last week I felt like I was watching the 2008 Playoffs

The Giants are not going to win tomorrow if they bring the same lousy offensive gameplan in against the Browns that they brought against the Eagles.

Fortunately, the game is at home....so if Brown is mothballed again, and the running game blows again, Gilbride will be hearing it from the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    The best offensive performances - both rushing and passing - came with Andre Brown in the backfield.

I'm not sure what's been going on in practices, but a 2-0 record with Bradshaw out of the game tells me the pass protection held up.

Frankly, I think Gilbride helped to lose this game.....but again, as his record shows, he is awful against the Eagles. Last week I felt like I was watching the 2008 Playoffs

The Giants are not going to win tomorrow if they bring the same lousy offensive gameplan in against the Browns that they brought against the Eagles.

Fortunately, the game is at home....so if Brown is mothballed again, and the running game blows again, Gilbride will be hearing it from the fans.

As he does after every game

All-Pro
    Lol. I can't believe this is still going on. This is how it would be on every team in the league, even in college. If a RB can not block he will not get on the field as much. It's that simple. The Giants where playing the best pass rush in the NFL and you want them to allow guys who have good upside play while the franchise QB gets lit up? This is comical. Oh, and they still could have won the game. There where plenty of things that went wrong that game and protecting Eli was not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Lol. I can't believe this is still going on. This is how it would be on every team in the league, even in college. If a RB can not block he will not get on the field as much. It's that simple. The Giants where playing the best pass rush in the NFL and you want them to allow guys who have good upside play while the franchise QB gets lit up? This is comical. Oh, and they still could have won the game. There where plenty of things that went wrong that game and protecting Eli was not one of them.
    I posted another article in which Gilbride gives his thoughts on Nicks, Randle, and the running game. Just some insight into the thought process.

I still can't believe how much overreacting there is to Andre's game against Carolina. He had a huge game, but it was against a team with a bottom-5 Run defense and pass rush. (Why doesn't that get taken into account?) And you know he had some extra juice playing in front of his hometown and family on a national stage. The coaches didn't overreact to it -- maybe we shouldn't either.

This over-inflated impressiveness of his performance -- as if he manhandled the Steel Curtain -- is just out of control. Carolina just let the extremely slow-footed (and that's generous) Michael Turner do this to them last week:

Rush: 13-103-7.9 YPC
    AND
    Receiving: 3-68-1TD (with a career best 60-yard catch and run...pathetic)

Carolina's D is bad. REALLY BAD. They've been making every running back look like a HOFer for the past 3 years.

I'm sure if the coaches don't trust Brown as much as Bradshaw in pass pro, it's probably because he's missed some assignments in practice, and they don't fully trust him...yet. Two SB wins and we still don't trust that the coaching staff knows what they're doing. What's it gonna take?

If Eli goes down, you can put Barry Sanders in his prime back there and we'd still be competing with the Jets for top pick in the draft. You'd be "robbing Peter to pay Paul" by having a marginal improvement in rushing at the potential expense of protecting our most important commodity.

That said, I'm thinking he'll get a fair amount of carries tomorrow against CLE where pass rush isn't as big an issue, and ideally, we'll have a lead and not in shotgun all game.

+ Reply to Thread