+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Cover 2 defense has become the "cover who" defense

Giants' Cover 2 defense has become the "cover who" defense

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/06/...r-who-defense/

Excerpt: "Recent babble about the New York Giants defense has been about the front four or injuries. What about the overloaded strength they had going into training camp – the linebacker corps and the secondary?

Unfortunately, much of the pressure and accountability is (and looks to remain) on the secondary. Cover 2 defense is the New York Giants’ base D, sort of. The two safeties are primarily responsible for the two deep zones, but with Perry Fewell, S Antrel Rolle is legitimately all over the place (when he’s not playing nickel). The idea behind the Cover 2 (Tampa-2) is to diminish need for defenders back deep to stop the long pass threat – leaving more of them there to play closer to the line of scrimmage. This provides faster run support and help with the short/dump-off passes and timed routes. However, this is what the Giants are getting punched in the mouth with, consequently letting them get burned on the deep pass." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I believe injuries are partly to blame. Also, the defensive line was stating that offenses game planning includes quick release passes. The Giants' pass defense is giving up an average of 254 yards a game.

It's not the scheme it's more the players or more to the point, the revolving door and..........lack of pass rush.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    Let's see. Here's a revolutionary thought .. If you don't have the players... DON'T RUN THE SCHEME!
    Well, I would say that the scheme should be designed around our personnel not around what a DC believes in. The scheme (inclusive of blitz packages etc) does need to reflect the realities on the ground.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    It's not the scheme it's more the players or more to the point, the revolving door and..........lack of pass rush.
    This part of the puzzle just mystifies me. Tuck, Osi, JPP all healthy and yet...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    This part of the puzzle just mystifies me. Tuck, Osi, JPP all healthy and yet...
    As of now it SEEMS like Osi is done. Tuck actually is not playing that bad. I've been watching him and he is playing well against the run. Getting to the passer is another thing, but teams know what the Giants like to do. Do you think the other teams might be planning all weeks, and all off season, on how to beat that rush? I mean the Eagles have the best pass rush in foot all and they didn't have a sack the other night. They also allowed Eli to throw for over 300 yards

Veteran
    Well according to Osi it's the coverage. He's saying something similar to what Tuck said in 2009, teams are getting rid of the ball quickly and/or max protecting to deal with our pass rush.

If playing bump-and-run and blitzing is the simple answer, why isn't PF doing it? Is there that much concern on his part that we may give up a big play for a TD? We definitely need a change on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Well according to Osi it's the coverage. He's saying something similar to what Tuck said in 2009, teams are getting rid of the ball quickly and/or max protecting to deal with our pass rush.

If playing bump-and-run and blitzing is the simple answer, why isn't PF doing it? Is there that much concern on his part that we may give up a big play for a TD? We definitely need a change on defense.
    I don't see whats the big deal with changing things up on defense and playing more, a lot more,bump and run and thereby throwing receivers and the QB off their timing, I read somewhere this week that the players themselves want to start jamming receivers at the LOS

It's now being reported Sash will not play by Jenny Vrentas (sp). On phone can't provide link.

# 80

+ Reply to Thread