+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are New York Giants' fans tapping out already?

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    History is against the Giants to repeat. It just normally doesnt happen. While I want them to win every game I hold little hope at winning the SB this season. Not because I dont think they can but I am taking one game at a time knowing winning back to back SBs is an extremely hard thing to do. Its hard enough being a Giants fan week to week without putting the added pressure on myself thinking they "have" to reach and win the SB...
    Yet isn't as rare as some around here think... In 46 Super Bowls there have been around a dozen teams who have repeated, an average of 2.5 times per decade.

Why not us?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    This. I want the TEAM to win, and that means putting the best men we have out there and having them all play their best. If everyone was healthy and played 100%, every unit we have except the O-line would be the best of their respective units across the NFL. But they don't, the TEAM suffers, and the Eagles look like they're worth a damn instead of the classless baseless organization that they really are... Their only true talent on that team is McCoy, and yet they walk all over us in the second half...
    That was a very disappointing aspect to the loss.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Yet isn't as rare as some around here think... In 46 Super Bowls there have been around a dozen teams who have repeated, an average of 2.5 times per decade.

Why not us?
    I'm with you
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    It is extremely hard to repeat, but one team does it just about every decade. In the 70's It was the Steelers, the 80's the 49ers, the 90's it was Dallas, and to start the new millennium it was the Patriots.
    I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.

Lombardi's Packers (technically 3x they won the last NFL championship)
    Shula's Dolphins
    Knoll's Steelers (twice)
    Walsh's 49ers
    Johnson's Cowboys
    Shanahan's Broncos
    Belichick's Patriots

So 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think. It means 16 of the 46 SBs have been consumed by repeats -- 1/3rd!!!

It's worse in that going back all the way, the Giants have played in somewhere around 20 championship games and have never gone back-to-back... Even the Eagles repeated in 1948-1949.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 10-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.

I really wish they would stop making this an age thing. I know plenty of people around my age that are die-hard fans of their teams and then friends of my folks who will stop watching their respective teams once they reach .350 or some win/loss ratio around there. This could very well be the last Superbowl that the Giants win in my lifetime and I'll appreciate every championship I've been able to witness. The season isn't over but I can understand the pessimism that we are already 0-2 in the divisional games.

Anyway, injuries seem to be the biggest thing hurting this team right now and it's not letting players get comfortable with one another when there are constant changes in the lineup.

Sigh I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.

Shula's Dolphins
    Knoll's Steelers (twice)
    Walsh's 49ers
    Johnson's Cowboys
    Shanahan's Broncos
    Belichick's Patriots

So 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think.
    What about the Eagles? OH WAIT.....

All-Pro
    Sigh I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.Lombardi's Packers (technically 3x they won the last NFL championship)Shula's Dolphins Knoll's Steelers (twice)Walsh's 49ersJohnson's CowboysShanahan's BroncosBelichick's PatriotsSo 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think.
    Forgot about the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I really wish they would stop making this an age thing. I know plenty of people around my age that are die-hard fans of their teams and then friends of my folks who will stop watching their respective teams once they reach .350 or some win/loss ratio around there. This could very well be the last Superbowl that the Giants win in my lifetime and I'll appreciate every championship I've been able to witness. The season isn't over but I can understand the pessimism that we are already 0-2 in the divisional games.

Anyway, injuries seem to be the biggest thing hurting this team right now and it's not letting players get comfortable with one another when there are constant changes in the lineup.
    True, but injuries are always going to be a factor, as they were last year. That's where your depth determines the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post

Same here. the Age thign is actually quite funny for me, since I was born in 1988... I don't have any memory of watching Simms or Taylor play for us and my first memory of the Giants was Dave Brown throwing it up for grabs. So while I didn't endure 30 years of terrible teams, I did have to deal with my team being bad while watching Aikman get his 3 super bowls... there were more Cowboys fans in my NJ elementary school than Giants fans at that time. Now we have a squad that has the potential to be the best in the NFL in the long-term, and they're squandering it. Yeah I'm a little annoyed...
    Andre the Giant

I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.

Shula's Dolphins
    Knoll's Steelers (twice)
    Walsh's 49ers
    Johnson's Cowboys
    Shanahan's Broncos
    Belichick's Patriots

So 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think.

It's worse in that going back all the way, the Giants have played in somewhere around 20 championship games and have never gone back-to-back... Even the Eagles repeated in 1948-1949.
    HEY, we're talking SUper Bowls, take the Eagles off your post lol

+ Reply to Thread