+ Reply to Thread

Without Hakeem Nicks, Giants look for one more wide receiver to catch fire

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...sEnabled=false

Excerpt: "
    Kevin Gilbride knows he’s starting to push it, so much so that he knocks on wood when the subject of his patchwork receiving corps comes up. He loses a couple of receivers and Ramses Barden steps up. Then it’s Domenik Hixon. It’s just like last year when, out of nowhere, came Victor Cruz.

It’s a wonderful thing for the Giants’ offensive coordinator to have so many players taking advantage of their unexpected opportunities. But even he wonders when all the good fortune will run out.

“Collectively we’ve been able to get (performances from) guys that probably most people would’ve thought there would be a terrific or dramatic fall off,” Gilbride says. “There hasn’t been — knock on wood — so hopefully we can keep it going. You do reach a point, if you keep losing them, that’s the point of no return.

“I don’t think we’ve reached that point.”
    Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I'm not worried about our receiver situation. As the article says, Eli will prepare the weapons he has and SOMEONE will step up. Yeah, if we had Nicks last week, we would have won. But the same could be said if we had Hosley or Rivers, or if Osi didn't get greedy in the 2nd half, or if Brown didnt end up limping off in the 3rd quarter...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I'm not worried about our receiver situation. As the article says, Eli will prepare the weapons he has and SOMEONE will step up. Yeah, if we had Nicks last week, we would have won. But the same could be said if we had Hosley or Rivers, or if Osi didn't get greedy in the 2nd half, or if Brown didnt end up limping off in the 3rd quarter...
    The receivers are the least of our worries, Cruz, Hixon and Bennett are proven play makers. Randle, today, has a golden opportunity. Here's hoping he is up to the challenge.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The receivers are the least of our worries, Cruz, Hixon and Bennett are proven play makers. Randle, today, has a golden opportunity. Here's hoping he is up to the challenge.
    Randle's light bulb hasn't come on yet but I think it's only a matter of time and less rather than more. It would be really nice if it happened this week but I don't think it will. I assume he got all 1st team reps this week so who knows. If there's a silver lining to Nicks being out, maybe it forces the Giants to bring Randle along a little sooner than they would otherwise.

Sometimes you have to suffer with a young player a little (not a lot) and let them learn from their own mistakes. Nicks made mistakes, Manningham sure did, ...they all do.

Quote Originally Posted by krygny View Post
    Randle's light bulb hasn't come on yet but I think it's only a matter of time and less rather than more. It would be really nice if it happened this week but I don't think it will. I assume he got all 1st team reps this week so who knows. If there's a silver lining to Nicks being out, maybe it forces the Giants to bring Randle along a little sooner than they would otherwise.

Sometimes you have to suffer with a young player a little (not a lot) and let them learn from their own mistakes. Nicks made mistakes, Manningham sure did, ...they all do.
    I don't have any complaints about Randle's progress because I don't tend to think most drafted players excel in their first or second years. He is being developed and today he will be thrown into the fire regardless of ow far that development has taken him. If he should flame out, he's just not ready yet. Not the end of the world or his career.

# 80

All-Pro
    The receiving group has taken some hits, but IMO that is not nearly the biggest area of concern. The defense has been less than stellar with so many injuries, the secondary in particular. The running game certainly isn't helping the offense either. On the offense, my main concern is the inability to get anything going for most of the first half in 3 of the 4 games this year. That isn't helping a banged up defense and puts more pressure on the passing game late in games, which has stepped up to that challenge for the most part. In my far from expert opinion, the solution to both the defensive and offensive struggles is a reliable running game, getting the offense going early and keeping the defense off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The receiving group has taken some hits, but IMO that is not nearly the biggest area of concern. The defense has been less than stellar with so many injuries, the secondary in particular. The running game certainly isn't helping the offense either. On the offense, my main concern is the inability to get anything going for most of the first half in 3 of the 4 games this year. That isn't helping a banged up defense and puts more pressure on the passing game late in games, which has stepped up to that challenge for the most part. In my far from expert opinion, the solution to both the defensive and offensive struggles is a reliable running game, getting the offense going early and keeping the defense off the field.
    well said..

Quote Originally Posted by krygny View Post

He has a lightbulb but it only burns dimly, don't expect much out of him today!