+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboysSuck View Post
    Its pretty bad, actually really bad. I think it may have something to do with our NON EXISTENT blitz packages. Did we blitz once today? honestly.. I really dont think we brought more than 4 the entire game. VS A ROOKIE QB
    Once or twice, but only one extra man. Can't believe your up 3 scores
    and not bringing it. If not then, when????
    Last edited by OX1; 10-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.

This isn't the only problem, but it REALLY looks like we're missing Canty in this defense. We look soft up the middle, and the QB pretty much always has a clean pocket to step up into. We need his disruptive play pronto

All-Pro
    How much time is Bernard supposed to miss?

D-line is REALLY struggling....I kno Joe Thomas is a monster but you have to find ways to attack the other parts of the O-line. Dont tell me Cleveland is a win less team with 3 pro bowl caliber linemen. Stop it....the D-line has been poor. Osi is getting on my nerves, gets run on like cellophane, only had one play where he got to the QB on time (and it was still an incomplete pass, not a strip sack).

It's the whole line....inside and on the ends...I feel like they haven't had middle push for 2 years now lolll...it can't be all JPP....

this was a 9-7 team last year, I thought if the team stayed healthy, 10 wins was in the cards. But they're not healthy so......

One thing I'll say....the Giants defense did a pretty good job after they fell behind 14-0. They slowed down the Browns enough for Eli & Co to catch up and blow their doors offensively.

If they play every game like they did in the 2nd/3rd quarters, they'll be okay.

As bad as our D has been, our offense is 2nd in the league in PPG to the Pats.

So, if you're gonna have a weak, injury-depleted D, it's pretty sweet to have a dominant O who, mind you, is accomplishing this mostly w/o Nicks.

The pass rush can't be any worse so there's only one direction to go from here ^

Quote Originally Posted by SackingMyths View Post
    This isn't the only problem, but it REALLY looks like we're missing Canty in this defense. We look soft up the middle, and the QB pretty much always has a clean pocket to step up into. We need his disruptive play pronto
    And this has a lot to do with the lack of pressure.

The ends cant speed rush around the utside because the QB just has to step up with no push up the middle.

Ends cant pull an inside move, again because the DTs are backed up against the guards.

When an end, like JPP did a couple times, beats his man, and the chip all the tackle has to do is give up the outside forcing the end around the long route from behind the pocket.

The only way end pressure alone is enough is if it comes consistently from both ends and you simply can not depend on that in this NFL.
    Last edited by TextureDj; 10-07-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added quote

Quote Originally Posted by SackingMyths View Post
    As bad as our D has been, our offense is 2nd in the league in PPG to the Pats.

So, if you're gonna have a weak, injury-depleted D, it's pretty sweet to have a dominant O who, mind you, is accomplishing this mostly w/o Nicks.

The pass rush can't be any worse so there's only one place to go from here ^
    That's why I think they should gamble more....they can afford to give up a big play here and there considering the firepower on the other side.

I'd love to see a return to the Spags style of defense....... it didn't always work, but it was fun as hell to watch the mayhem.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    That's why I think they should gamble more....they can afford to give up a big play here and there considering the firepower on the other side.

I'd love to see a return to the Spags style of defense....... it didn't always work, but it was fun as hell to watch the mayhem.
    I'm with you on this all the way. I am not a fan at all of the "keep everything in front of you" Defensive scheme (though we did just win a SB with it).

I'm hoping PF will realize a change needs to be made and get more aggressive. I miss all the DB blitzes and chaos that Spags' scheme had. And I see Hosley and Hill as two DBs that can be very effective off the edge. They seem to have a knack for making plays and timing up their blitz.

Hell, we brought pressure back in the day with Michael Johnson and James Butler in the back...we know it works.

All-Pro
    For his limited time on he field it seems like Will Hill has a good pass rush skill. Maybe they can get him in more.