+ Reply to Thread

What can the Giants learn from the 49ers loss to the Vikings?

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/12/...esota-vikings/

Excerpt: "
    The San Francisco 49ers lost their only game of the year to the MinnesotaVikings in Week three; a sound 24-13 beating. So, as the 49ers game looms as one of the big early tests for the New York Giants, we decided to go back and see if we can learn anything about attacking the Niners from Christian Ponder and the Vikings.

While we thought the game reviews would yield simple revelations (e.g. "The Vikings were able to control the 49ersí X by doing Y"), what we found is that the general feeling from those who watched the game was that the Vikings outplayed the Niners in almost every facet of the game, doing the little thingsSan Francisco usually does so well, forcing Alex Smith into the kinds of mistakes he usually doesn't make, and preventing the mistakes the Niners defense usually forces." Read more...
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Banned
    We learned that Christian Ponder is a lot faster than we thought he was. I bet you the Niners didn't gameplan for him scrambling for TD's.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerNYG View Post
    We learned that Christian Ponder is a lot faster than we thought he was. I bet you the Niners didn't gameplan for him scrambling for TD's.
    Then that's poor game planning from the 49ers staff. He has shown since he has been in the league that he can run.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Bench Player
    This x100.

The Niner D came out as flat as ever in the Harbaugh era and freakin' Christian Ponder played VERY well. Its wasn't just rush yards...it was the scrambling away from pressure and converting 3rd downs across hs body while running the other way.

I came out of that game thinking Ponder was a much faster and better QB than I had ever thought he was.

That your best bet for victory is short passes dinking and dunking down the field and to run your runningbacks into a wall over and over again to make sure the 49er D is a little bit honest. Oh, and put some nyquil in Fangio's drink because that guy fell asleep for the vikings game.

All-Pro
    well it's safe to say we won't have to worry about Eli scrambling for TDs. Lol
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Loaded box vaults Smith to QBR lead-ESPN

Don't know if this ESPN article was posted already-

At the end of Week 5, Alex Smith is the leader in Total QBR. Let me say that again for San Francisco 49ers fans who have endured some tough quarterback play in recent seasons; Alex Smith is the most efficient quarterback in the league through five games.

Before this season, no 49ers quarterback had led the league in QBR at the end of any week in the QBR era (since 2008).

How is he doing it?

Usually a good QBR can be attributed to a few key factors, two of which are performing well on third downs and when the game is late and close. Smith, however, is actually not performing that well in either situation.

On third downs he has a 37.4 QBR, 20th-best among the 33 qualified quarterbacks. In clutch situations Ė- defined as the fourth quarter or overtime with the game within eight points Ė- he isnít much better, ranking 15th in QBR among the 29 quarterbacks with at least 10 action plays.

So itís clearly not third downs and itís not performing well in the clutch. For Smith itís actually what heís doing on the early downs while the defense is crowding the line to stop the 49ers running backs.
    Rest of the article- http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...th-to-qbr-lead
    Last edited by ronnielott42; 10-13-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Keep the 49er D on the field! use short passing game to move the chains!