+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is Perry Fewell just relying on the talent?

Because his defensive scheme is not very impressive. Weeden had all day to throw and I ddin't see many blitzes, I don't understand this approach. Was Fewell anticipating a lot of screens? But the defense wasn't good at stopping screens either. Fewell never goes after the QB on 3rd and long situations and it has burned the defense numerous times already. If Fewell keeps showing his inability to adjust to the game time situations accordingly, and keeps going with a very conservative approach of his, it's going to be a long day vs. 49ers.

It's Fewell's technique, and the pass HUSH being outplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNYGiants View Post
    Because his defensive scheme is not very impressive. Weeden had all day to throw and I ddin't see many blitzes, I don't understand this approach. Was Fewell anticipating a lot of screens? But the defense wasn't good at stopping screens either. Fewell never goes after the QB on 3rd and long situations and it has burned the defense numerous times already. If Fewell keeps showing his inability to adjust to the game time situations accordingly, and keeps going with a very conservative approach of his, it's going to be a long day vs. 49ers.

Fewell is what he is...a pretty average DC

All-Pro
    I think a big part of it is not the talent on the field but the talent that isn't. Losing Canty and Rocky has hurt the D-line, not just in talent but because they can't rotate the DT position and keep the players fresh. The secondary has been hammered with injuries as well. It doesn't help that offenses are going with quick passes and run plays designed to take advantage of aggressive play at the DE position. In my opinion, this is where the lackluster play from the LB positions hurt.

That being said, I agree that PF could be a little more aggressive to compensate for the injuries rather than being so conservative. If nothing else it might light a fire in the front 7 and get them to swarm the ball more. Right now I feel like they are always back on their heels, reacting to the play rather than attacking it.

Veteran
    Not very creative, but then again,
    when is the last time we had the same complete
    defense for even 2 weeks in a row.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I think a big part of it is not the talent on the field but the talent that isn't. Losing Canty and Rocky has hurt the D-line, not just in talent but because they can't rotate the DT position and keep the players fresh. The secondary has been hammered with injuries as well. It doesn't help that offenses are going with quick passes and run plays designed to take advantage of aggressive play at the DE position. In my opinion, this is where the lackluster play from the LB positions hurt.

That being said, I agree that PF could be a little more aggressive to compensate for the injuries rather than being so conservative. If nothing else it might light a fire in the front 7 and get them to swarm the ball more. Right now I feel like they are always back on their heels, reacting to the play rather than attacking it.
    It is especially rather perplexing when we are up 3 scores.
    Our 3 man rush has got to be 15 to 1 against our favor.

One word....Spags. How's his resume' since leaving the Giants?
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNYGiants View Post

Yes I'm tired of seeing our front four with no blitz help against a max protect on 3rd and long... Fewell sucks

Max protect against a 4 man rush means the giants have 7 guys covering 2 receviers, and you think this is a bad matchup for the giants?

Five games into the season, the Giants' defense still has only eight sacks overall. Asked if he was concerned, Tuck said, "Yes, I am. Guys are figuring us out. So we've got to do some different things."
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8475899/new-york-giants-win-offense-now-was-display-versus-cleveland-browns

May have been a subtle shot at Fewell