+ Reply to Thread

Harry Carson: "Knowing what I know now, I would never have played football"

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...tball/11906350

Excerpt: "Former New York Giants linebacker Harry Carson looks back on his successful NFL career and admits that he wouldn’t have played football if he knew what kind of effects it would have on him later on down the road.

“From a physical risk standpoint, I knew that you could get hurt physically and I assumed that risk,” said Carson, perCBS New York. “But from a neurological risk standpoint, I didn’t know. So knowing what I know now, I would never have played football.”

Carson says he feel fine physically.

“Physically I feel pretty good,” he said. “But you know there are days when I have not so good days, when I have headaches and blurred vision and all that stuff, so it’s something that I’ve learned to live with. I live a pretty normal life.”

Carson doesn’t regret playing football." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

That's tough to listen to as a fan. You would almost fear for the safety of the players that we might have to make it less riskful for the players and that is something we have a hate/love relationship with.

That's really sad, and hard to hear. I've never played in the NFL and with all the concussion he had so I can't even begin to understand the pain he might go through on a daily basis. I have to believe that with all the law suits and emphasis on player safety, we will see a big change in the game in terms of tackling techniques and penalties in the next 1-2 years. And frankly, I hope it happens. If we can avoid another Dave Duerson situation, it would be best for the future of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...tball/11906350

Excerpt: "Former New York Giants linebacker Harry Carson looks back on his successful NFL career and admits that he wouldn’t have played football if he knew what kind of effects it would have on him later on down the road.

“From a physical risk standpoint, I knew that you could get hurt physically and I assumed that risk,” said Carson, perCBS New York. “But from a neurological risk standpoint, I didn’t know. So knowing what I know now, I would never have played football.”

Carson says he feel fine physically.

“Physically I feel pretty good,” he said. “But you know there are days when I have not so good days, when I have headaches and blurred vision and all that stuff, so it’s something that I’ve learned to live with. I live a pretty normal life.”

Carson doesn’t regret playing football." Read more...
    easy to say in hindsight.

As a 20 year old guy, to assume he would of been mature enough to truely understand it and figure he would not have had a "it won't happen to me" attitude may not be the most realistic comment in the world